Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

Really?  What my co. does is allow you to carry over max 5 days, in exceptional circumstances, and they must be taken in the first 3 months of the year. I’d be amazed if they were breaking the law in imposing that restriction- what with being unionised etc.

Exactly the same as mine. 5 days max carried over to be used by the end of Q1 or lose them. Little bit more flexibility due to covid, hence today off for me but its a one-off. 

Covid had no impact on my job - apart from make it busier!

Rules on carrying over annual leave to be relaxed to support key industries during COVID-19
Workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave entitlement due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry it over into the next 2 leave years.

gov.uk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Not the way to view it, you legally have 2 years to take last years holidays owed. Keep them in the bank. Count this years allocation first.

I've been asked to report the state of my holidays today and thats the way I've been told to do it

yep , exactly this , it was announced  last year  nearly right at the very beginning  of the lockdowns

lot of my friends were forced to take leave and in effect sit at home or they would "lose them"  .. i guess people don't want to be "that person" so they complied , but they were perfectly entitled to carry it over .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

lot of my friends were forced to take leave and in effect sit at home or they would "lose them"  .. i guess people don't want to be "that person" so they complied , but they were perfectly entitled to carry it over .

Our experience was almost the opposite - we were continually being told "make sure you take all your holidays". There was no furloughing at our place and everyone was basically working all the time, in part because we couldn't go anywhere I guess and the Co. was playing it as a mental health thing and telling us all to make sure we booked "down-time". Not a mention of the right to carry holiday over.

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I just met a man called Romel McDonald.   

There are not enough Nazi Clowns in my opinion. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I just met a man called Romel McDonald.   

We actually have a driver with the full on Ronald McDonald name and he hates being called Ron too

15 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I inadvertently made an engaged couple change the song for their first dance. They were keeping it a secret (as couples seem to do these days) and this prompted a chat about what it could be while we were all out one night. 

I basically said (sort of jokingly) “Well as long as you’re not having “X” cos that’s pretty obvious and cliched.”

After they had their first dance they told me they’d changed their choice after my fairly glib comment. I felt appropriately guilty.

Ed Sheeran?

• Haha 1

I went to school with an Alan Partridge. The express & star went so far as running an article about him having the same name.

Less unusual I also went to school with Chris Martin and used to live next door to Terry and June.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Ed Sheeran?

Haha no! But another wedding I went to years later had a Sheeran song and about six months after the wedding when I saw them again I was slagging off Sheeran completely forgetting their song choice.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

I love a good print that and we'll sue you response to a journalist. 

Fingers crossed they ignore my threat as the hearing for damages could  be hilarious.

EDIT: I'm also imagining this journalist running around like a headless chicken trying to fact check what I've said in the 30 minutes before her print deadline. If only she'd fact checked it in the first place.

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Both my kids have been offered jobs today. Youngest is doing part time at Wilco over the summer before uni, and the eldest has landed a job in the labs at my place. I’m pleased for her finding a good job so soon after finishing her degree. 
The best part about that is that I’ll get a £750 referral fee when she passes probation. Noice. 

And she’ll start paying board too :)

Half the petrol too!

16 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I inadvertently made an engaged couple change the song for their first dance. They were keeping it a secret (as couples seem to do these days) and this prompted a chat about what it could be while we were all out one night. 

I basically said (sort of jokingly) “Well as long as you’re not having “X” cos that’s pretty obvious and cliched.”

After they had their first dance they told me they’d changed their choice after my fairly glib comment. I felt appropriately guilty.

My best friend's stag do was in Bilbao. I didn't organise it, somebody else did. It was only after I'd texted my friend 'looking forward to Bilbao then?' that I remembered it was supposed to be a secret. The guy who organised it had planned a whole thing where my friend was blindfolded on the way to the airport, had to pack warm and cold-weather clothes to keep him guessing, etc etc.

My mate sportingly did his best to act surprised apparently, but by the time I arrived at the airport the secret was out of the bag and I had some awkward explaining to do :blush:

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Half the petrol too!

Hell yeah! 

Well, apart from the fact I’m still WFH. I told her before the interview that she’ll have to find her own way there. She’s okay with that and has a new motivation to pass her test. 

Then she can drive me :P

• Haha 1

Â