Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I went to a wedding which had the most excruciating best man speech. 

The groom and best man were mountain climbers. 

Essentially the ENTIRE speech was that the groom dropped his brand new crampons into a lake at the start of the climb so had to go in and fish them out.  As he was soaking and wet he went back to the best man's car as he couldn't climb. When they got back hours later he was still sitting there half frozen because he didn't drive and didn't know how to start the car. 

The speech was about half an hour long detailing the make and model and technical specifications of the crampons, what they were climbing and the difficulties it presented, the exact route and techniques that would be needed. 

It was just horrible, you could see the whole room willing him to finish.  And then the completely non existent punchline at the end. 

It was all anyone could talk about for the rest of the night. 

Best wedding disaster I've witnessed was at my sister-in-law's wedding. They got married in Cancun, which was great, we had a week in a 5-star all-inclusive resort and I never paid a penny, so no complaints.

Anyway, my brother-in-law is Irish, and he's catholic, but his family more so, and it meant a lot to them to have a proper catholic wedding with a real priest. Luckily, it turned out the resort had its own real catholic priest, who was an American who, to my mind, seemed to be on the run from something. He gave a long, rambling sermon filled with bizarre metaphors and imagery, and then rounded it all off by inviting the assembled audience of family members to consider what a golden moment it would be when the groom inseminated the bride 😬

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

11 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Got got got got need 😀

Reminds me of a great, nostalgic book i bought off amazon years ago which looked back on the beautiful game from 60s to 80s :

Screenshot_20210519-073636_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Best wedding disaster I've witnessed was my buddy's ex-girlfriend arriving drunk and late to the reception where she dirty danced with all the guys (myself included, she was filthy hot) and a gal and my buddy the groom himself, prompting the bride to storm onto the dancefloor where she took off her wedding ring and threw it at him, shouting that it was "over". Reality show scenes.

Thankfully it all obscured a pretty lacklustre speech by yours truly!

So was as that it, or did she forgive him? 

It's a pretty dumb thing to invite an ex to your wedding let alone do some dirty dancing with her 😂

Edited by sidcow

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

I went to a wedding which had the most excruciating best man speech. 

The groom and best man were mountain climbers. 

Essentially the ENTIRE speech was that the groom dropped his brand new crampons into a lake at the start of the climb so had to go in and fish them out.  As he was soaking and wet he went back to the best man's car as he couldn't climb. When they got back hours later he was still sitting there half frozen because he didn't drive and didn't know how to start the car. 

The speech was about half an hour long detailing the make and model and technical specifications of the crampons, what they were climbing and the difficulties it presented, the exact route and techniques that would be needed. 

It was just horrible, you could see the whole room willing him to finish.  And then the completely non existent punchline at the end. 

It was all anyone could talk about for the rest of the night. 

I think there is an amusing little anecdote in there, but it needs to phrased more how you’ve summarised it. “As friends we’ve trekked and climbed the whatever mountains, taking in the beautiful scenery, a real sense of accomplishment...Dave didn’t, he’d fallen in the lake that morning and spent the rest of the day freezing his tits off at the park & ride trying to work out how to start my car.” 

Punchier, then get straight on with the next gag. 

Best wedding disaster I've witnessed was my buddy's ex-girlfriend arriving drunk and late to the reception where she dirty danced with all the guys (myself included, she was filthy hot) and a gal and my buddy the groom himself, prompting the bride to storm onto the dancefloor where she took off her wedding ring and threw it at him, shouting that it was "over". Reality show scenes.

Thankfully it all obscured a pretty lacklustre speech by yours truly!

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a pretty dumb thing to invite an ex to your wedding let alone do some dirty dancing with her 😂

It really comes across to me that this ex was coming to the wedding reception, invite or not. 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I invited an ex to my wedding. No dancing, though. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Our wedding had non of the usual unnecessary shite; no cake, no first dance, no top table. Everyone had a table the same size dotted around the room.

Simple buffet, took our own music. No wank DJ playing dross.

It all went rather well too.

We absolutely wanted no first dance. Categorically, so we didn't choose one. 

But unbeknown to us people were pressing the DJ to do one, and so we were called forward to do one, only for the DJ to play Jennifer bloody Rush, The Power of Love. 

There is a video somewhere of me turning to camera half way through the dance and putting my fingers down my throat. 

Big life lesson, pick your own tune.  I would have gone for Love Shack or something as first dance. 

@bickster

I’ll be honest, I thought with the introduction of a twin brother, we were going into full on BBC sitcom mode where the groom is stuck and can’t make it in time, the bride is getting anxious and when people are asking “Is the groom going to be here on time?”.

Then you think to yourself “Oh, he’ll never make it in time. If only there was someone who looked just like the groom and could take his place. Wait a second...”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He used this word?

No, you're right to call me up on that, in retrospect I'm 99% sure he said 'when [Groom's Name] plants his seed in [Bride's Name]'.

He also made reference, in his long and rambling sermon, to 'when I'm sneaking around the resort, doing what I'm not supposed to be doing' and just written down that doesn't look so bad, but you'll just have to trust me when I say he delivered it in a way that made it sound very much like he was peeking at the housemaids in the showers or something. I guess I'd seen Spotlight not very long before this, so perhaps I wasn't at my most charitable, but everybody else picked up on this as well, it was all anyone talked about for the next 24 hours.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But unbeknown to us people were pressing the DJ to do one, and so we were called forward to do one, only for the DJ to play Jennifer bloody Rush, The Power of Love. 

There is a video somewhere of me turning to camera half way through the dance and putting my fingers down my throat. 

Big life lesson, pick your own tune.  I would have gone for Love Shack or something as first dance. 

Size of a cow by the Wonderstuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Size of a cow by the Wonderstuff. 

It was 100% on the playlist, has a special place for a large part of my group due to it's legendary status at a series of parties. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Doing a first dance in front of everyone is my idea of a nightmare and I wouldn't be at all impressed with my friends if they did that.

Refusing inevitably turns you into the miserable bastard at your own wedding and you'd end up with elderly relatives commenting on it forever more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thank God they picked a banger.

• Haha 1

Â