Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Learning all the Japanese I'll ever need to know..

"Kon'nichiwa, tenpura 50-pai onegaishimasu!"

...soshite Asahi onegaishimasu

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its almost like there's something else about him that they don't like... 

It's not even just that, you could argue the same from "the Establishment", he had to win 7 Formula 1 titles before getting a gong, all the others won one before being recognised (I exclude Clark from that as he won two but can't see when he got his gong)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's not even just that, you could argue the same from "the Establishment", he had to win 7 Formula 1 titles before getting a gong, all the others won one before being recognised (I exclude Clark from that as he won two but can't see when he got his gong)

I think Hamilton got an MBE in 2008, after his first world championship.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think Hamilton being a HUGE bellend is a big part of it. He seems to be universally disliked by everyone who isn’t paid to work with/for him.

I don’t speak for everyone but yeah he does seem a bit of a prick with a lot of double standards. Honours system aside though if him getting a shitty bauble enrages racists dress him in ermine I say. 

• Like 1

Yep I don’t really know much about Lewis Hamilton, but his tax situation is one of the few things I know him for. 

My knowledge of him pretty much goes Formula One, he wins races often, Nicole Scherzinger, Switzerland and taxes. His occupation being what it is means that I struggle to register much of an interest in him. No matter how many of the pussycat dolls he dates.

However I was unaware of the respective financial set ups for the other drivers listed, so that does make me wonder why Hamilton’s overseas accounts seems to cause more headlines and angst than the others listed.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

I got an Amazon Show for Christmas, it’s set up in the dining room downstairs. I’ve downloaded the app and you can make announcements to it from your phone upstairs. For the last few days we’ve been sending requests down to whoever’s up asking them to bring coffee up to us, it’s been brilliant! Send the message, listen out for it then hear the daughter mumbling FFS not again as she puts the kettle on. So far I’ve tried the commands ‘make us coffee’, ‘make us some toast’, and ‘feed the cats’. It’s like having your own personal carer :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/01/2021 at 16:01, Genie said:

I think Hamilton being a HUGE bellend is a big part of it. He seems to be universally disliked by everyone who isn’t paid to work with/for him.

My theory is being a child sporting prodigy must have something to do with it.  Footballers are a prime example of being anointed at a young age and turning out to be dickheads.  Tiger Woods came across a bit like it but seems to have been a bit humbled by his troubles, whereas Lewis hasn't really gone through any of that.  He is still phenomenal at what he does, if there is going to be an honours system then he must be deserving of a knighthood for excellence.

On 01/01/2021 at 16:01, Genie said:

I watch a lot of the F1 youtube content. The official channel and the stuff put out by the teams.

There's loads of friendships and banter and camaraderie amongst the drivers. But it NEVER involves Lewis. He's in lots of the videos but he never seems to be friendly with anyone, and similarly nobody is like that with him. It's weird. Just doesn't come across like he's friends with anyone.

Obviously that isn't evidence for anything. You don't have to be friends with other drivers. I just find it strange.

I used to be in a team of about 10-15 people at work who did exactly the same job, so if you took time off you'd know everything would carry on without you.

My role has changed slightly now though and it's only me who works on a couple of specific things.

I've just logged on after two weeks off and I was worried about what I was going to walk in to and have to catch up on.

Nothing, just a few 'Happy New Year' emails. I can just carry on with what I need to. Bliss. 

• Like 1

This year more than any year feels like nothing has happened at work over the christmas period.

We're shut down anyway from xmas eve until today, so in theory nothing much should happen. But usually there are still some try hards working away and I come back to a load of emails and requests.

This year, like @Paddywhack, I've just come back to a smal handful of emails, mostly christmas and new year messages or generic company emails. Feels good!

• Like 2

Â