Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Todays co-op pit stop for something to take to work lead  to the discovery of White chocolate marathon bars   ...

yep , White chocolate and haters are gonna hate  , but they are pretty darn good

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Todays co-op pit stop for something to take to work lead  to the discovery of White chocolate marathon bars   ...

yep , White chocolate and haters are gonna hate  , but they are pretty darn good

You know they aren’t a thing don’t you? They are just ones that went off in the last lockdown repackaged.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

My youngest lad who turned 6 this week is going to start training with Notts County development team as soon as football returns. Hasn’t even played a grassroots game yet as you have to be 6, Forest also want to look at him. 😀 He is unreal for his age. So nice to have a bit of positive news for a change.

His brother who just turned 8 is already pre-academy with Leicester City, Notts County and Derby County.

I might just cancel my pension now ! ⚽

I absolutely love watching my lad (10) play football. It’s the highlight of my week. He only started about 18 months ago so relatively late to the party but is a cracking little player. A Jamie Vardy type striker/winger. Lightning quick and natural finisher.
It’s such a shame he signed for his first team last January but only played in about 5 games, and was on and off as sub in those.

This season, different side and was on fire initially but now all halted again. 20 goals in 14 games from left wing for a mediocre side.

He went from not really being interested in football to being absolutely football mad overnight (when he changed schools).

I’m really hoping he gets back playing regularly again as he (and I) live for these freezing Saturday morning games.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I absolutely love watching my lad (10) play football. It’s the highlight of my week. He only started about 18 months ago so relatively late to the party but is a cracking little player. A Jamie Vardy type striker/winger. Lightning quick and natural finisher.
It’s such a shame he signed for his first team last January but only played in about 5 games, and was on and off as sub in those.

This season, different side and was on fire initially but now all halted again. 20 goals in 14 games from left wing for a mediocre side.

He went from not really being interested in football to being absolutely football mad overnight (when he changed schools).

I’m really hoping he gets back playing regularly again as he (and I) live for these freezing Saturday morning games.

It’s literally the best thing in the world, I love it. I’d say it’s the highlight of my week but there is only one day in the week when one of them isn’t playing or training, my life is work and their football. They are obsessed.

I was like your lad, didn’t play until I was 10 similar for a lot of lads. Sounds like he is a natural goal scorer, some kids just have that nack and others just can’t score goals it’s evident from a young age.

Tried my lad with footy twice, but he loses interest, which is frustrating. He plays/trains for  rugby once a week, which he quite likes . He’s able to do contact rugby now he’s 8, so it’s more enjoyable for him . He’s also been doing guitar lessons for the last two month but obviously now instead of going to the local community hall to do it, it’s online teaching. He’s picked it up really well which surprised me. It’s great watching him trying to learn songs. I took him on a run last Saturday morning at 6.30 which he was all excited about but struggled with. He’s not as fit as he should be, but I try not to push him . 

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was crap and had no interest in footy until I was last year of primary school(10). I was decent , but quite a late starter compared to my mates . I’m hoping my lad takes an interest in playing football, so hope yet . 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Tried my lad with footy twice, but he loses interest, which is frustrating. He plays/trains for  rugby once a week, which he quite likes . He’s able to do contact rugby now he’s 8, so it’s more enjoyable for him . He’s also been doing guitar lessons for the last two month but obviously now instead of going to the local community hall to do it, it’s online teaching. He’s picked it up really well which surprised me. It’s great watching him trying to learn songs. I took him on a run last Saturday morning at 6.30 which he was all excited about but struggled with. He’s not as fit as he should be, but I try not to push him . 

My daughter (8) tries lots of different things but hasn’t found something she loves doing. We’re currently doing swimming lessons with her which she seems to enjoy. She can swim already but this is improving it and doing the badges and stuff. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

My daughter (8) tries lots of different things but hasn’t found something she loves doing. We’re currently doing swimming lessons with her which she seems to enjoy. She can swim already but this is improving it and doing the badges and stuff. 

Personally think swimming should be compulsory.  Ours were doing lessons but lockdown made it stop/start. My lad can swim ok but suffers with his ears. Being able to swim is important . I’m not great as I had problems with my ears as a kid so missed out . 

• Like 2

My playing of football has been documented many years ago on VT. Enough to say my minutes spent playing a game of football are in the region of Brian Littles time spent on the pitch for England. 
I didn’t play it as a kid, then when I asked my teacher in junior school if I could play as I hadnt said please he never allowed me. Then in senior school I did all I could to disrupt the match to get red carded (throwing mud at players was my favourite) I was told to bot participate. I reckon my time kicking a ball in 50 years must be close to 20 minutes. Possibly a little hyperbole, but wouldn’t be far off that. 

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My playing of football has been documented many years ago on VT. Enough to say my minutes spent playing a game of football are in the region of Brian Littles time spent on the pitch for England. 
I didn’t play it as a kid, then when I asked my teacher in junior school if I could play as I hadnt said please he never allowed me. Then in senior school I did all I could to disrupt the match to get red carded (throwing mud at players was my favourite) I was told to bot participate. I reckon my time kicking a ball in 50 years must be close to 20 minutes. Possibly a little hyperbole, but wouldn’t be far off that. 

I was desperate to play for the primary school football team, but I was too crap at it. My grammar school only played rugby, and I hated it. I was also a hopeless runner, in fact terrible at all sport. It was only after I left school that I got into both football and running. 

28 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Personally think swimming should be compulsory.  Ours were doing lessons but lockdown made it stop/start. My lad can swim ok but suffers with his ears. Being able to swim is important . I’m not great as I had problems with my ears as a kid so missed out . 

Yeah they do swimming at school, this is in addition.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was desperate to play for the primary school football team, but I was too crap at it. My grammar school only played rugby, and I hated it. I was also a hopeless runner, in fact terrible at all sport. It was only after I left school that I got into both football and running. 

Mentioned before but I was a great runner . I put it down to chicken pox because after recovering from it in the house for a week, when I went back out with my friends I was suddenly fast at running.  

57 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s literally the best thing in the world, I love it. I’d say it’s the highlight of my week but there is only one day in the week when one of them isn’t playing or training, my life is work and their football. They are obsessed.

I was like your lad, didn’t play until I was 10 similar for a lot of lads. Sounds like he is a natural goal scorer, some kids just have that nack and others just can’t score goals it’s evident from a young age.

This was a nice finish by the boy in the summer during training 

DDCBC8-E5-F945-43-AE-8506-847250-FCD4-E5

For next season I’ll try and get him into a better side. Priority this year was minutes on the pitch.

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Is she still doing lessons ? Ours with doing them out of school as well, but it’s stopped again .

No, it’s all stopped.

At school they do them weekly in year 1, 3 and 5. 

41 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Fancy a kick about in the FA cup tmw night? 

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Fancy a kick about in the FA cup tmw night? 

With my knees. My crowning glory and my final game was at John Hunt School, Telford. I didn’t want to play, the mud trick hadnt worked, so whilst in earshot if the ref/teacher, “**** off you **** chimpanzee”. For clarity, this was a white fella so no hint of racism. For that before I had even kicked a ball I was back in the warm. Halcyon days. He did look like a chimpanzee though. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

With my knees. My crowning glory and my final game was at John Hunt School, Telford. I didn’t want to play, the mud trick hadnt worked, so whilst in earshot if the ref/teacher, “**** off you **** chimpanzee”. For clarity, this was a white fella so no hint of racism. For that before I had even kicked a ball I was back in the warm. Halcyon days. He did look like a chimpanzee though. 

Probably for the memory thread really, but as we’re talking about it here, I remember when I was 12 actually having a proper go at making the football team. I set aside any dreams of being the school super striker and made a concerted effort to be a solid, no nonsense central defender.

And it worked, I had a bloody good training session, nothing got past me, the PE teacher even singled me out for praise. It is clear to me. The days of pretending to be Dean Saunders on the playground were over, Shaun Teale would now be my inspiration (McGrath would be asking too much).

Sure enough, I’ve made the subs bench for our next game against one of the best sides in our district. Into the second half trailing 3-0 (I think) the coach tells me to get on. He puts me on at left wing. 

We lost 5-0.

• Haha 1

Â