Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

14 hours ago, Harry said:

The fact he has never nailed down a permanent start for us and he is now 25 tells its own story. I don't think he is PL grade CB and I don't buy the centre back matures later argument either. On his day he is a good player but as a few have said he is very inconsistent. Having said that I think he will do ok for us in the Championship if he focuses in games.

Personally the couple of times in the last few years he has played as DM I think he has looked far better than at CB. He is actually quite a decent footballer especially when compared to say Baker who is an out and out stopper. Relieving him of some of his defensive duties helps him think a bit more about his game, IMO at least.

25? He is nearly 27

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I saw again yesterday what I see every time he plays, long balls forward to absolutely no one without even looking up, he just plays some floaty up and under bullshit hoping rudy is there, usually whilst under very little pressure

He also blatantly has no confidence in Guzan, put a lot of stuff out for a throw when Guzan was an option

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I saw again yesterday what I see every time he plays, long balls forward to absolutely no one without even looking up, he just plays some floaty up and under bullshit hoping rudy is there, usually whilst under very little pressure

He also blatantly has no confidence in Guzan, put a lot of stuff out for a throw when Guzan was an option

So there's some sense left in Clark? (re: Guzan)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I was gutted for Clark when he gifted them their second goal yesterday. He had been my MOTM by a long way until then.

That's Clark all over though. He guarantees you one major cock-up a game. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

• 3 weeks later...

As we can't replace the whole team, Clark is one of those I expect will remain.

I'm OK/resigned with that, but it also means our defense will be shambolic next season as well every time he plays.

Clark is a weird one. Looks great on international duty, and good when paired with Okore, but pretty poor with anyone else. It's almost like he plays well when he has a decent partner next to him, and plays awful when his partner is a slow oaf who ball watches constantly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Czechlad said:

Clark is a weird one. Looks great on international duty, and good when paired with Okore, but pretty poor with anyone else. It's almost like he plays well when he has a decent partner next to him, and plays awful when his partner is a slow oaf who ball watches constantly. 

Yeah he definitely needs experience next to him. He did OK paired with Cuellar at times, I remember his debut. But when relied on to be the experienced organiser he doesn't seem to handle it. 

I remember a time when I was unhappy with Dunne and Collins,  how far have we fallen now it's depressing.

Hopefully he has a few one off performances in the euro's to convince some fool to buy him

Not one i want to see starting in the championship next season he will get bodychecked easily by most of the physical strikers down there

Â