Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

35 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

And how would we replace him?

We need to keep our core otherwise we will not even make it to the play offs.. 

we really really really dont. Spine of our team is our biggest problem

• Like 2

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Totally agree.

That's what was wrong with last summer's recruitment. Bought decent players, but none of them are the spine of the team.

Had we had a good spine, those players would have integrated a lot better,

11 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I just don't understand this, so apparently we can sell Clark for 5 million pounds but then using that money we can buy better for less? How does that work? Surely the people that would buy Clark from us would just buy the better players for less?

Because that's how football works. You don't always buy the right players.

Anyone buying Clark for £5m is overpaying, his price probably pushed up by him being an International and a premier league player (up until now).

Whereas if we went for a decent, experienced Championship defender then they'd probably cost less, but be better especially for our situation.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

And how would we replace him?

We need to keep our core otherwise we will not even make it to the play offs.. 

Sorry but what is this 'core' you speak of?

The foundation of our team is absolutely rotten, we're spineless, there's no quality and no leadership there. It's precisely the 'core' which needs replacing. We need a keeper, centre halves, central midfielders and a forward for starters. Then we can think about positions such as right back and wide midfield.

Ciaran Clark is not a premier league quality player. If we get anymore than £2m for him then we've committed daylight robbery, he's absolutely shite at premier league level. 

Whilst I think he'd be solid enough for us next season, he'd need leader next to him. The reason why I want to see the back of Clark, aside from cashing in on the idiocy of Sunderland (or whoever's linked with him), is that Clark has consistently demonstrated a lack of leadership skills and an inability to take responsibility. 

• Like 1

While I do agree that getting 5 million for Clark is decent value, I'd be cautious to sell (although if he has a clause, it doesn't really matter).

We already know quite a few players will leave due to interest from PL teams (ex: Ayew, possibly Gana) and then there are some we likely want to push out (Lescott, Gabby, Micah, Brad). Point being, like we saw last summer, when you try to complete a massive overhaul of the squad, it is something that must be done very carefully and it can take quite alot of time for all the new players to click. It's been stated before that Clark is seen as a bit of a role model/leader for the youngsters and I believe that is something we will need next season with more of them coming into the fold. He seems to be someone with a bit of good character in a group that largely lacks that trait. I'd quite like him and Baker as part of our CB corps for next season with two new additions, but at the same time if we receive 5m, we can probably use that to replace him. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No its not.  The biggest problem is the attitude the like fat Gabby and richards have.  Could name another 4 or 5 others and Clark isnt one of them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

No its not.  The biggest problem is the attitude the like fat Gabby and richards have.  Could name another 4 or 5 others and Clark isnt one of them

Who do you consider constitutes our spine? Because when I think about our keeper, centre halves, central midfield and strikers, I think by and large, wow, what a load of unmitigated shite they are. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Who do you consider constitutes our spine? Because when I think about our keeper, centre halves, central midfield and strikers, I think by and large, wow, what a load of unmitigated shite they are. 

I agree, by and large.  Clark is an exception here, for me.  From that defence, I'd keep Clark, Okore and Amavi (if possible) and get rid of everyone else.

He's been spoken about positively from junior players, stepped up as captain previously (and played well) plus may actually have an affinity for the club - which could be beneficial in a season of fighting to get promoted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I didnt say the spine wasnt a problem.  I said the biggest problem was the attitude of half the players.

Clark and Baker doesn't strike me as rocket polishers and scumbags, unlike some of our other rotten lot, so I'd probably keep Clark, and possibly Baker if we could get good partner to play with them. I'd first get rid of Richards, Gabby etc.

On 5/27/2016 at 14:22, Jarpie said:

Clark and Baker doesn't strike me as rocket polishers and scumbags, unlike some of our other rotten lot, so I'd probably keep Clark, and possibly Baker if we could get good partner to play with them. I'd first get rid of Richards, Gabby etc.

Agreed. Clark, Baker, Okore + an experienced head I'd be more than fine with. If I were dumping an extra CB on top of Lescott/Richards, it'd be Okore. Don't see the appeal.

Would definitely keep Clark, people say that he's not worth 5 million, Baggies paid 8 million for James Chester last season and that was when there was last money in the Premier Leauge, plus the fact we don't want to have to get 3 new centre halves as we will have Baker back but Okore seems to have delusions of grandeur and he's a bit shit however I'd happily keep him, Lescott is complete shit and Richards is shit and the a sign of everything that was wrong with us last season. 

On from that I quiet like Clark, at least he takes responsibility, however if there is a 5 million clause we will struggle to keep him 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

A rumour I've heard is Newcastle want him, this is heard from a friend who reckons he knows something. Could be gibberish could be legit we'll see. However I'd sell him for 5m just not to a promotion rival.

I would as we be robbing them. Newcastle lost Coloccini and Taylor so I think be looking for defenders soon

Â