Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

On 23/05/2016 at 18:30, AshVilla said:

I meant more in terms of physicality rather than footballing ability

Ahhh, the myth of big, physical Championship strikers.  Glorious.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could get 5m or above for him, I would take it.  He no doubt would do a job in the Championship, but if/when we returned to the Premiership, I wouldn't want him starting and that says it all for me. 

He is the one player who Neil Warnock said Villa should keep in the championship.  He went on to say he thinks he is a super player.  Also i see Sunderland are now in for him as well.  No coincidence he is one of the very few on our team that other teams might be interested in

Let's not spend the £5 million just yet. The Sun reported this £5 million release clause, so it's not gospel. And then would anyone pay it anyway? Yes, probably. There are a lot of defenders with a lot less Premier League experience being sold for more, or the same anyway. 

And are we looking at £5 million thinking that it would add to our Xia warchest? Because that's maybe a little premature. I think Clark is fine for the Championship. Absolutely fine. And we saw how replacing the entire squad went last season. Let's try for a bit of continuity. If we're looking at players who should be on their way out to make way for new, then Clark is probably near enough the bottom of that list for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YLN said:

Let's not spend the £5 million just yet. The Sun reported this £5 million release clause, so it's not gospel. And then would anyone pay it anyway? Yes, probably. There are a lot of defenders with a lot less Premier League experience being sold for more, or the same anyway. 

And are we looking at £5 million thinking that it would add to our Xia warchest? Because that's maybe a little premature. I think Clark is fine for the Championship. Absolutely fine. And we saw how replacing the entire squad went last season. Let's try for a bit of continuity. If we're looking at players who should be on their way out to make way for new, then Clark is probably near enough the bottom of that list for me.

True but I really think that virtually the entire squad should be ripped up after that last season. It was a shambles and we need fresh ideas and fresh players. It might be best for both parties tbh but I agree that there are other players ahead of Clark that should be chucked out first.

.... Seriously? Another release clause?

Are these plonked into our contracts as standard or what? Swear they make no sense in the long run, don't make us any money and if anything suck loyalty out of the players.

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Are these plonked into our contracts as standard or what? Swear they make no sense in the long run, don't make us any money and if anything suck loyalty out of the players.

Most players have them in their contracts, especially if the team you play for isn't very good

11 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

He is the one player who Neil Warnock said Villa should keep in the championship.  He went on to say he thinks he is a super player.  

Looks like my stance of ignoring Neil Warnock's opinion on anything is justified once again.

11 hours ago, Duck said:

But without the clause we wouldn't be able to get the players to either join us in the first place or sign extensions. It's standard stuff in this day and age. Villa have been relegation contenders for a number of years and most players have these clauses built in as an insurance policy against having to play in the Championship (assuming they are actually good enough for a higher level). 

I doubt you'll find a bottom half club in the Premier League who don't have numerous players having these clauses in their contracts.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sunderland linked with him today as well. Hopefully they offer 10m for both clark and richards

Id take 5 for both just to get Richards wages off the books

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

And how would we replace him?

We need to keep our core otherwise we will not even make it to the play offs.. 

It is our core which has put us in this position in the first place.  I'd change your point and say If we keep the core we will not even make the play offs.

He is not good,  he has not developed as a defender and even in this league we can do better.  If someone offered 5M I would snap their hand off

• Like 1

I'd keep Clark and potentially make him our captain.  He did really well under that role a couple of seasons back.

I'd much sooner get rid of Hutton, Bacuna, Richards, Lescott, Cissokho, Baker and Richardson.

• Like 2

Relatively low on my OUT list, but £5m seems like a decent price.  Not massively bothered either way as he can probably do an OK job next year, but would be needing an upgrade if we go back up.

16 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

And how would we replace him?

We need to keep our core otherwise we will not even make it to the play offs.. 

£5m would buy us two Championship defenders as good as Clark, if not better.

I just don't understand this, so apparently we can sell Clark for 5 million pounds but then using that money we can buy better for less? How does that work? Surely the people that would buy Clark from us would just buy the better players for less?

Anyway I don't think Clark is somebody we should be considering getting rid of at the moment he was one of our better players and consider the fact that he's been playing alongside Lescott and Richards so anybody in that position is going to struggle. I would give him a chance in the championship.

• Like 2

Â