Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He'll only be on the bench because every player is. He can't get into a terrible Irish team which says it all about how bad he is. Richard Keogh is ahead of him in the pecking order and people on here want to make him club captain? Jesus wept.

You're speaking to an Irishman ;)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy for him to stay and I think he is the most likely of our existing central defenders to want to stay on at Villa Park. But if he chooses to go to WBA and they pay £5m for him and Moyes or Pearson rubber stamp the move then so be it. Beware though Ciaran, they could well be making room for us in the PL come the end of next season!

48 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I don't think he would be any use in the championship, dealing with physical but technically limited strikers. See: Dembele goal this season. I was so embarrassed, absolutely farcical strength.

Yes. We can replace Clark with much needed experience; get a 30 year old brute beast in centre back. He'll scare the living daylights out of both Championship and Premier league attackers, and would know how to actually hold a line and tackle.

I'd bite their hands off for 5 mill

He will get destroyed in the championship week in week out loo what Deeney did to him this season he will be lining up against strikers like him in the championship every week

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'd bite their hands off for 5 mill

He will get destroyed in the championship week in week out loo what Deeney did to him this season he will be lining up against strikers like him in the championship every week

Deeney would be (and was) a very very good striker in the Championship - he's not the average.

Edited by Mantis

On 23/05/2016 at 10:15, VillaJ100 said:

I don't think he would be any use in the championship, dealing with physical but technically limited strikers. See: Dembele goal this season. I was so embarrassed, absolutely farcical strength.

Good point that. Premier league is clearly way above him, and i'm not sure any of the other English league is suitable for him either. Saturday junior 5-a-side perhaps?

some players are good enough for Championship and not really at Premier League level, players like Jerome or Russell Martin and I think Clark could be one of them. If get promoted not a chance he be 1st choice again

Clark is basically no better than Baker. If someone wants Clark for £5m we should sell him, we've got an instant free replacement in Baker who's had successful experience in the Championship. That forgets the fact we might have money to spend on improvements.

Let's be honest here, there are very few players we would like to keep so if anyone is willing to pay the likes of £5m for Clark or £7m for Gana we should take the money and run. I think both of them could easily be replaced and more likely improved on for that kind of money.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to sound like a hypocrite now becaue over in the transfer thread i said Clark is player i would keep, i also said that depending on departures and incomings he may be a choice for captain. However, i wasn't aware of these Baggies rumours when i wrote that, and £5m seems an awful lot of money. I think most agree that he isn't quite PL standard and i would imagine there are a number of good quality Championship center halves we could pick up with £5m.

All in all i suppose it depends on the bid, as @NSmith22 said above, I've never got the that impression Clark is anything other than a good professional and his attitude seems fine, so he wouldn't be the first player I'd be looking to bomb out. But god £5m is very very tempting. 

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I like Clark but the higher percentage of people we clear out, the better. Culture is a very difficult thing to change.

I also agree with this, the squad, even those not considered "problems" have probably become accustomed to losing. 

I don't think that he is our biggest problem. He has some good days and some bad days but as far as the culture change goes I'd keep him. He is one of the decent characters in the club and cares about the club too. We could get rid of him and get someone else in but then if we git rid of too many of our own what sort of "culture" does that leave us with?

A bunch of people bought in to the club? That's all well and good when you are Man City and can pay the best in the world to come and play for you but that not where we are. 

Yet!

• Like 1

Â