The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

It's a romantic prediction but games are won, and seasons defined on having that edge and this lad has the talent and the motivation to give it all in the play-offs - I think he'll be the one to take us through, a defining moment in his career.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He just doesn't score shit goals. Can't think of just a simple goal he has scored for us. Everyone seems special. 

HE'S OUR TOTTI I TELLS YA! 

I dunno how many times I have to say! :lol: 

I said to my old man after the goal "he's got a slightly better technique than Whelan, hasn't he?" :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I said earlier in this thread that having a player like Jack is going to be as important, if not more, as having a financial advantage over our competition. Losing him regardless of whether or not we are promoted would mean we take a step backwards in our squad strength, whether we are able to take a step forward afterward is an unknown, and I would be doing everything possible to keep him rather than consider him a financial asset. I'm only 8 years in as a weekly supporter of Villa but I have seen the detriment to the club caused by the sale of players like Milner, Young, Downing, Benteke and Delph. It without doubt cost us our place in the Premier League but also our identity as a club. Charles N'Zogbia was actually a decent player for Wigan, and statistically matched up to Young, looking a worthy replacement. In hindsight I think Young was worth more than 20 million to us and N'Zogbia as we all know, an expensive mistake. Say what you like about Downing but he was effective for us, a good player, we struggled to find another that would have his impact in the coming years. Same story with Milner. Ireland looked like a promising talent at times, but rarely like the work horse that Milner was and again we never found an effective replacement. Call Delph a snake but he had work ethic and desire, same as Benteke. Look at how limp our squad became without their presence. My rant is to point out how rare and invaluable a player like Jack is to our club. We are not going to get better by losing him, regardless of the fee. Why?

I believe he'll go on to be a class act at the top level, especially with the right coaching. I really hope we can keep a hold of him as in the event our European aspirations come to fruition, I see Jack as being able to contribute if he continues developing. Different players and styles, but a young Coutinho at Inter was unrefined and full of potential, on the fringe of the squad, look at him now.

Jack's talented, but you don't score goals like that without skill, developed by the time you spend beating on your craft.

The contrast in his performances from now to a few seasons back, it's obvious he's coming of age and putting in the work, it's also apparent how heavily the culture of a group can influence.

We need players like Grealish to set the standards at the club, because he's capable of doing so. Look at someone like Gabby, who simply doesn't quite have the leadership or playing talent to dictate the momentum of the entire club, then look at someone like Terry, who's competency and presence have lead Chelsea to the top of the game and had an almost immediate impact here for our club. Take care of Jack, allow him what he earns on merit and the sky is the limit. I'm betting he will develop leadership and character as well as skill on the ball.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No chance, imo.

Not because he isn't good enough, but Southgate has used dozens of players recently, all of whom he's having a look at with an eye on the World Cup. He's not going to suddenly include Grealish, who hasn't been in a single one of those friendlies, in his final 23 man squad. It just isn't going to happen.

He'll make that squad eventually. But the world cup is probably 12 months too soon for him.

whereas i think the answer is that southgate should take a look at him because he offers something that not many others in the squad do and because he would be a back up to an out of form ali and an injured lallana the reality is the media has a hard on for jonjo shelvey at the moment so he would be the next in line for a "shock" call up, after that i wouldnt be surprised if maddison got the nod over jack, maybe even the likes of chalobah or other chelsea kid who makes a living from not playing football

all of those would just disappear in to obscurity in the england set up, they're nothing players, put a shift in side way pass keep the ball at best players, jack you cant guarantee it but theres a better chance of him pulling a rabbit out of his hat

There’s an interview with him in Talksport conducted by Jim White that I have just heard on the radio. 

He came across really well, and wants nothing more than to fire us to promotion. I hope he can. Last night he was a class above, kept his composure to their thuggish play and popped up with a worldie! 

Love him!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whereas i think the answer is that southgate should take a look at him because he offers something that not many others in the squad do and because he would be a back up to an out of form ali and an injured lallana the reality is the media has a hard on for jonjo shelvey at the moment so he would be the next in line for a "shock" call up, after that i wouldnt be surprised if maddison got the nod over jack, maybe even the likes of chalobah or other chelsea kid who makes a living from not playing football

I agree with you totally.

But it isn't going to happen. Not in time for the world cup

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

If only he hadn’t missed the first half of the season - imagine how many extra points we’d have taken with him in the side .

Him and Kodjia and we would be 2nd 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with you totally.

But it isn't going to happen. Not in time for the world cup

Why not? I don't many English midfielders that are in better than him currently, I don't think calling him up would be a gamble

Â