The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

He’s a very effective squad player in tournament football. It’s not about Villa it’s an international team , very different things. His impact is exceptional but he might not be what the team needs in the first 60 minutes.

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That pic was from last year in Sep when he signed the 5 yr deal.  Or hes just using this to indicate Jack will sign a new contract.  I’m no more wiser.

It’s meant as a hint.

• Like 2

For me, I wasn't angry about him taking him off. I was just astounding at the decision to bring on an extra defender for the entire second 15 minutes. It invited Denmark to come on to us, which they did. We should have brought another attacker on and looked to hit them in the spaces they were leaving in defence as a result of pushing forward. It was far, far too negative from Southgate and if they had have nicked one it was totally him to blame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This whole "Southgate got us to the final" reminds me a lot of the "he got us to the playoff final" line under Bruce. Sure, but that doesn't mean every decision was the right one. It also doesn't mean he didn't get there playing cautious, set-piece oriented football that will come unstuck against decent opposition as it did in 2018. He tries to pull what he did today against Italy and it might just come back to bite him.

It's exactly the same and I'm really surprised it's not being said by more people.

Our team is incredible!

He's picked far from the best squad he could, and we're still set up so negatively.

He's in for at least 3.5 more years when any success is very much in spite of, and not because of him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play?

Gareth Southgate explains Jack Grealish substitution during extra-time of England win over Denmark | Evening Standard

That involved a shift in formation to a back-three, meaning Southgate had to sacrifice an attacker, and with Raheem Sterling’s pace still a vital outlet, the England boss was left with a choice between Grealish and fellow substitute Phil Foden, who had only made his entrance during the first-half of extra-time.

I rarely see the top managers in the game make moves like this. Chucking on an extra defender and keeping the "speedster" up top sounds like a caricature of 2000's British football of teams with lesser players. This isn't Wigan Athletic 1-0 up at Old Trafford ffs.

If it was Pep, he'd likely value Jack's ball-retention over Raheem's speed and if anything would have put on an extra midfielder to keep the ball.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I guess my confusion over that comment is what does Raheem’s speed have over Grealish ability to retain possession, win free kicks and move the ball forward? If a team is attacking wouldn’t what Grealish offers be way more beneficial?

Probably a bit complex for Southgate's mind, that.

4 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Sterling playing so well might hopefully make city think twice about letting him leave and cool their interest in jack

:lol: if they sign Grealish, he's straight on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I guess my confusion over that comment is what does Raheem’s speed have over Grealishs ability to retain possession, win free kicks and move the ball forward? If a team is attacking wouldn’t what Grealish offers be way more beneficial?

Not necessarily. If we'd ended up camped in our defensive third, having someone quick gives us an outlet.

As it turned out they were knackered, but he's not subbed Jack off for Rashfird or Sancho, it was a total change of shape.

• Like 1

Say what you want about the substitution on paper, England absolutely suffocated the game at the end, only momentarily looking mildly threatened when Pickford turned an off-target shot from range around the post to be on the safe side

As much of a human wet fart as he is, is there any sensible metric by which Southgate isn't the most successful England manager for like 50+ years?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

Say what you want about the substitution on paper, England absolutely suffocated the game at the end, only momentarily looking mildly threatened when Pickford turned an off-target shot from range around the post to be on the safe side

Well against 10 men it would have been just as easy with four at the back.

It's not a question of not seeing or understanding what Shitgate is trying to do, or why he did it... It's just not agreeing with the rationale.

Some will argue results speak for themselves, and they certainly do, but as others have already alluded, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

As a neutral, this England side is almost unbearable to watch... which in itself is a crime against football imho. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This whole "Southgate got us to the final" reminds me a lot of the "he got us to the playoff final" line under Bruce. Sure, but that doesn't mean every decision was the right one. It also doesn't mean he didn't get there playing cautious, set-piece oriented football that will come unstuck against decent opposition as it did in 2018. He tries to pull what he did today against Italy and it might just come back to bite him.

England are in the final of the European Championship, following a semi final of a World Cup. Steve Bruce failed to get Aston Villa promoted.

He’ll have a plan for Italy. He will then make decisions based on the flow of the game. Steve Bruce struggles to plan his tea in advance, hence the kebabs. 

He may not be everybody’s cup of tea, and he’s not infallible and that’s fine, but a little perspective goes a long way imo. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Â