The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I said nothing about Jack I was just commentating on the Southgate inferred genius and getting things right.  

I think he’s been lucky with fixtures and strength of opposition so far.  

With the talent at his disposal and the quality of teams faced so far, playing at home 5 out of 6 matches, everything has gone his way so far that he shouldn’t have failed so far but his team selections he’s tried his best to imo.  

He should get loads of credit if we win the final but I’m not on that bandwagon yet because he’s being over praised because of England’s past not based on the talent he has to hand, the home advantage and the average to poor opposition to date.  Win Sunday against a quality team and bring home the trophy and then, for me, he can get all the credit.

He's 100% been lucky. And in large parts tonight, we were poor. The invention in our passing is non existent at times. Maybe I'm sometimes biased because I prefer a certain style of football, but the amount of times we could have played balls through the lines and opted not to, was just depressing. It let Denmark control the midfield in large parts (until they tired), and we didn't have to let that happen. The amount of times our possession ended up with a Pickford hoof was laughable.

And Kane, praise him for scoring all you want, was horrendous tonight. Awful decision making for the majority of that game.

• Like 1

Southgate bought Jack on to change the attacking dynamic to try and score a goal. With him on the pitch we scored a goal. He then decided to replace him with a defender to see out the game. Do I feel a bit sorry for Jack? Yes. Did his introduction to the game have the desired effect? Yes. .

It is what it is. We're in a final where he may be called on again. The over reaction is ridiculous.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Think Southgate like Ole could do a decent job at a big club.

They aren't winners or tactical geniuses but you cannot argue the value they add by creating a happy camp. Man management is so, so important in the modern game.

I can see strong similarities between the 2. 

Still don't think he's got a great tactical nouse which is why i can see Italy winning it.

I honestly pity the fans of whatever club he ends up managing. Imagine being subjected to such negative football week in week out. You can ride your luck in international football, but you get found out pretty quickly at club level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

Southgate as a manager is a negative bottler. He is hugely fortunate to have one of the most talented attacking group of players in world football.

So what does he do with all that talent? Barely enough to win games while consistently defaulting to his negative instincts. 

Tonight I'm not ashamed to say that when he made his gutless substitution of Grealish I genuinely hoped that Denmark would ram his lack of balls down his self serving throat.

When Jack came on we saw Denmark begin to panic, they were no longer the assured passing and pressing team that we'd seen in the previous 68 minutes.

When Jack was subbed off, surprise, surprise, the addition of Trippier gave fresh confidence to a previously mentally beaten Danish team.

We then painfully defended our way to a win that could easily have turned in to a draw and penalties.

I'm annoyed at Southgate for insulting one of the best players in the world right now. I'm also annoyed at some of the comments on this thread tonight suggesting that Jack is the author of his own downfall. He's there primarily to create situations which will beat teams, not to be a key defender against their sporadic attacks for goodness sake!

He is clearly a victim of Southgate's negativity. 

The huge positive that I take from tonight is that if Jack was ever seriously thinking of placing his playing future in the hands of another self aggrandising manager (Guardiola?), he will now be absolutely certain that Villa is the place where he will continue to be acclaimed as world class and treated with the utmost respect.

Love you Jack.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

48 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Denmark probably care.

Free kicks are different to penalties, not sure why your comparing them

You were trying to pick at England. You said they only scored from an og and a penalty - like that somehow detracts from their performance when they dominated all game. 

My point was that they outplayed Denmark, who cares how England scored their goals.

England xG of 3.18 vs. 0.27 for Denmark.

Obviously I wish he started Grealish instead of Saka (and that he didn’t humiliate him by bringing him off). The result justifies his decision. I doubt Jack sees any time in the final as I think Foden has now usurped him tbh.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The thing is, I agree with BOTH sides of the coin.

- I was gutted for Jack, and thought it was a bit embarrassing. ( Especially because we know how much he loves to play, that will have been shellshock for him, compared to what he is used to )

- In the grand scheme of things though, Southgate does deserve the credit, as he has continued to get the results, regardless of whether people agree with his choices or not.

I do think it will be a valuable lesson for Jack though.

I don't think the feelings/viewpoints have to be mutually exclusive.

That's fair, I agree at the time I thought it was harsh to take him off as well. 

I think the thing is, bringing a sub off normally has the subtext off bringing someone off who's played so terribly in their cameo that you're willing to use up another of your 3 available substitutions just to get them off the pitch again. 

In this case he'd been on 30 mins, done his job and the change was tactical. Foden was fresher and plays week in week out with Sterling and Sterling has the pace we needed for those raking balls out to the corner flags. 

As much of a shame as it was for Grealish, it did make sense to bring him off out of any of the attacking players imo. And it's all worked out and I'm buzzing and we're in a bloody final so Grealish can dry his eyes and get his head down 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We didn't get to the Euros under McClaren. Lost to ICELAND under Hodgson. I've seen a poor performance in a quarter final time and time again in my lifetime. 

You have to beat what's in front of you and we've done that. An Aston Villa captain, brought through from the academy and a former Villa player have been part of this incredible 3 years and you write it off because all we've done to get here is beat a strong Czech team, a WC finalist Croatia side, serial winners Germany, absolutely tonked Ukraine and then had the cojones to see off a Denmark side who are ranked 10th in the world. 

I say again, you are allowed to be happy. It's okay, just let it happen. Smile 

We have a UNREAL squad. It's okay for them to still do well.

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's 100% been lucky. And in large parts tonight, we were poor. The invention in our passing is non existent at times. Maybe I'm sometimes biased because I prefer a certain style of football, but the amount of times we could have played balls through the lines and opted not to, was just depressing. It let Denmark control the midfield in large parts (until they tired), and we didn't have to let that happen. The amount of times our possession ended up with a Pickford hoof was laughable.

And Kane, praise him for scoring all you want, was horrendous tonight. Awful decision making for the majority of that game.

Football is a game of opinions, so not saying you are wrong…. But I really think this is a utterly bizarre take on the game .

I thought Kane was fantastic on the ball all game. Won numerous free kicks, great through ball to Saka for his assist and an even better pass to Sterling to a 1:1 too.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

They've been silenced because everything Southgate has done has been vindicated and the likes of Ian Wright aren't VT loons. 

Silenced to the point that they won’t even ask a valid question. Surely that’s just poor journalism. 

I don’t think it was a good tactical decision. I thought we surrendered the momentum by putting another defender on. Fair enough if you want to say that he was vindicated by the result but it was a nervous last 15 mins, largely to be fair because there was so much at stake. The Danes were pretty whacked and down to 10 men. Which again begs the question why the extra defender? 

You seem to be very critical of the support shown to Jack. I agree it’s at times one eyed and a little over the top. However that is the nature of football supporters. I’d have to say that you sometimes come over as somewhat superior and dismissive of us simple souls who show such emotive support. 

I’m sure I’m wrong though. 

It was 1-1 when Grealish came on and 2-1 when he came off and stayed 2-1 until full-time England won the game whilst he was on the pitch and drew it whilst he was on the bench. They also wouldn't haven been in the semi-final if it wasn't for him saving the game against Germany. So whilst it's disappointing that he hasn't been used more and frankly quite baffling to me, he can still be proud of his contribution because without him England wouldn't even be in the final.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smg said:

Haven’t read the thread for the last half hour so don’t know what’s been said, however Jack was put on when we needed a goal, during that time we dominated, he contributed and eventually we scored. Fifteen minutes left we need to defend as his job was done, bring on a defender who happens to take penalties which Jack doesn’t and Kane and Sterling do, there is no shame or embarrassment he played his part in a winning squad , job done. People might not like it but Southgate uses a squad to win games and at the moment it clearly works.

Sterling has missed more penalties than he’s scored in his career.

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Football is a game of opinions, so not saying you are wrong…. But I really think this is a utterly bizarre take on the game .

I thought Kane was fantastic on the ball all game. Won numerous free kicks, great through ball to Saka for his assist and an even better pass to Sterling to a 1:1 too.

He didn't have his head up enough at all. Made some very strange decisions on the ball all night, looked sluggish, if I was playing in and around him it would have been very frustrating.

Don't hide it by saying it's all about opinions then say what I'm saying is 'utterly bizarre', just say you think I'm talking shit.

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

We have a UNREAL squad. It's okay for them to still do well.

I'm sorry but if you'd told me 4 years ago we'd be going into a final with Pickford, Stones, Maguire and Shaw as 4 of our back 5 and a midfield 2 of Kalvin Phillips and Rice my response to each selection would have been "surely there's a better option than them?" 

Just because we have an incredible amount of talent in attacking positions doesn't mean we will win every game, they can't / don't all play and it's the spine that's not as strong as other teams. The likes of Veratti, Busquets, Kroos, Modric, you can probably name a CM and CB from half the sides at this tournament that would have a decent chance of getting in this team. 

I think a lot of England fans are blinkered to the strength of our attacking options on the bench. It's the players on the pitch that win games and Southgate sets them up in a way where they can go out and win

• Like 1

Â