The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You make some very valid points until you defend Sterling...

Sterling didn't play well yesterday. He was atrocious until he scored. Constantly gave the ball away and either made a terrible decision or terrible execution of whatever he decided to do.

After the goal, I don't recall him doing a great deal but was watching Grealish from that point so hard for me to judge the last 20 minutes of his play.

To be fair to Sterling, he has been doing more than Kane this tournament. He is tiring out defenders and scoring goals. Kane has been doing very little.

Grealish has done more creative football than either of them, in less than half the time. He IS our best player.

I agree completely that Jack is our best player. I thought Sterling was good yesterday for him, believe me, I am his biggest critic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You make some very valid points until you defend Sterling...

Sterling didn't play well yesterday. He was atrocious until he scored. Constantly gave the ball away and either made a terrible decision or terrible execution of whatever he decided to do.

After the goal, I don't recall him doing a great deal but was watching Grealish from that point so hard for me to judge the last 20 minutes of his play.

To be fair to Sterling, he has been doing more than Kane this tournament. He is tiring out defenders and scoring goals. Kane has been doing very little.

Grealish has done more creative football than either of them, in less than half the time. He IS our best player.

It's the number of right choices & speed of the execution with Grealish. He is lethal in those killer situations and it's practically indefensible.

As for Sterling well.. I know all his mates keep trying to big him up & say stuff like "It's about time he gets more respect" etc etc but for me personally it boils down to the fact that he's really poor in possession. He constantly makes awful choices, nearly always gives the ball away, fails to spot the right pass, is over-selfish and tends to score mainly un-missable goals which are put perfectly in his path when a few yards from goal. If you remember it was his attrocious play which directly led to Mullers chance which 99 times out of 100 he would have buried...So he basically got really lucky. I think you also have to look at how much the players around him have struggled to make any impact at all, no coincidence Kane has been anonymous as frankly Sterling hogs the ball, never plays him in and loses good possession. No surprise that Kane suddenly scores when Grealish comes on and actually feeds something quality in his direction. For me Kane's poor form is more a reflection on Sterling than Kane. So yes he has 3 goals but all of them were more about the service to him than Sterling doing anything out of the ordinary.

For me if you replaced Sterling with say Vardy he may be on about 5 goals by now and additionaly you would have a much bigger goal return from all of the front players as he also has pace & can get in behind but is much better with the ball too. Ditto Sancho.

So yes he has 3 goals but how much has he detracted from the team in getting those?!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

Incredibly harsh on sterling considering the goals he is scoring. As the old saying goes the hardest thing to do in football is to put the ball in the back of the net and he is the only one doing that we any regularity at the moment.

Also Sterling’s pace is a key reason to keep him in the team. Switch out saka for Jack and move sterling to the right and you have the best of both worlds. 

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Incredibly harsh on sterling considering the goals he is scoring. As the old saying goes the hardest thing to do in football is to put the ball in the back of the net and he is the only one doing that we any regularity at the moment.

Also Sterling’s pace is a key reason to keep him in the team. Switch out saka for Jack and move sterling to the right and you have the best of both worlds. 

He has done well to get into the positions to score those 3 goals for sure and he does cause some panic with his runs, however he detracts so much from the team with the rest of his play and attrocious decision making (We call him the move wrecker in our house) that i can't help but think if he were not in the team we would have lost his 3 goals but would likely have replaced them with far more. Kane needs someone to play off and becomes ineffective when that someone never plays him in and persistently gives the ball away. I don't think it's harsh really just reflecting on what i've been watching but each to their own i guess :) 

I am intrigued to see whether Grealish has earned his starting spot? I doubt it of course but something may have to change in midfield for the Ukraine game as both Phillps & Rice are on Yellows, surely Southgate won't risk both being banned for the semis if we get there? I can see one being dropped to protect him so could Grealish get his start?

Sterling hasn't been amazing but he's more than justified his selection this tournament with three goals. It's easy to say the team would have six goals instead of three if we dropped Sterling and played Jack from the start, but that's just speculation. Maybe we'd have zero goals and be out of the tournament (it's not like anyone else has looked clinical in front of goal).

I feel like a good portion of the people on this board are determined to see England and everyone in the team except Jack and Tyrone fail.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Sterling hasn't been amazing but he's more than justified his selection this tournament with three goals. It's easy to say the team would have six goals instead of three if we dropped Sterling and played Jack from the start, but that's just speculation. Maybe we'd have zero goals and be out of the tournament (it's not like anyone else has looked clinical in front of goal).

I feel like a good portion of the people on this board are determined to see England and everyone in the team except Jack and Tyrone fail.

Its highly likely that if Jack hadn't come on we wouldn't have scored against Germany. Jack's impact is easy to see and that's why you have the crowd at Wembley calling for him to be brought on. Rio Ferdinand and his media mates can say and think what they want.  It's not going to change what football fans see with their own eyes and it makes them look stupid or devisive.

Jack is Englands most effective offensive player, proven by stats and by watching his impact on the games he has played in. The fact that Sterling is scoring is entirely unrelated to Jack's ability.

The Sterling argument is very similar to the ElGhazi/Trezeguet argument. 

Those who think his overall play is not good enough and those who look purely at the goals and ignore the rest. 

I agree with everything @danceoftheshamen says.  I my opinion he causes more issues than the benefits.

I also agree you can't just assume England would have scored more goals and Kane look much better without his headless chicken runs but my gut screams to me that would be the case. 

That guy with the home video finger pointing to where he should be passing the ball out wide could make a similar video a hundred times a game. 

Jack always makes the right choices which is why the team looks better when he plays. 

However I agree with those goals Sterling has become undroppable so we will have to accept his future headless chicken play and hope he shithouses more goals. 

So the 3 behind Kane should be Grealish, Mount and Sterling. Hopefully Rice is dropped to support another attacking midfielder. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Its highly likely that if Jack hadn't come on we wouldn't have scored against Germany. Jack's impact is easy to see and that's why you have the crowd at Wembley calling for him to be brought on. Rio Ferdinand and his media mates can say and think what they want.  It's not going to change what football fans see with their own eyes and it makes them look stupid or devisive.

Jack is Englands most effective offensive player, proven by stats and by watching his impact on the games he has played in. The fact that Sterling is scoring is entirely unrelated to Jack's ability.

That's got very little to do with what I said though. I agree Grealish should start over Saka, as his crossing and ability on the ball made the difference in the last game when he came on.

But there's about two pages of posts here and countless more in the Euros threads calling Sterling a donkey whereas if Southgate had played Watkins on the wing in the place of Sterling and he'd put in exactly the same performances people would rightly be saying he was undroppable after three goals in four games and talking about him getting the Golden Boot if we go all the way.

The fact Grealish is good doesn't have to mean all the other England players are bad. Both Grealish and Sterling have justified their selections, and hopefully Grealish will be a starter going forwards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I doubt it of course but something may have to change in midfield for the Ukraine game as both Phillps & Rice are on Yellows,

Yellow cards are wiped after the 2nd Round.  Clean slate for the Quarters.

Â