The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

38 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

That's really good business. Bad news for us. 

Yep. Our expectations should be high but we can't ignore that other teams we want to catch are strengthening as well. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

So Gregg Evans reporting that villa don't want to sell, want to offer him a new contract but will sell if it reaches £100 million. 

Can someone explain to how those ideas don't contradict each other? 

Seems like a poor journalist just hedging his bets so either way he can claim he reported the correct news. 

He is the WORST. I subscribe to The Athletic, love the Villa, but actively avoid his articles. It's becoming petty, I know it's becoming petty, but I welcome the pettiness given his journalistic style. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Leicester had a perfect storm conditions. All the top clubs were in a shambles at the time. You look at the squads and elite level managers at clubs like Liverpool and City. It's not going to happen for Villa. We will get sucked into the same trap as Spurs where you are a big club "lite" in that you salary budget goes up and your revenue is variable as you have CL or EL or ECL or nothing and all 3 impact revenue. So we get stuck in trying to get to the big club status but sucked into the inevitable money trap. 

We need to aim to be a consistent top 8 team who builds an elite level squad from time to time via youth development and astute signings. Refuse to maintain a budget which relies on European football. This means we can't pay our players the level of wages the big clubs can and they have no incentive to sign new contracts, thus we have to sell them when they reach 2/3 years remaining. This is as far as I see it inevitable.

So what does that mean for Jack? He must leave Aston Villa to achieve the level of recognition and success his level of talent deserves. It's simply a matter of when. For me if NSWE sell him this summer then I'd be disappointed as his value will be as high or higher next summer so why sell? Makes zero financial sense makes zero sense for the club. None of this has anything to do with Jack, he signed a contract last September for 5 years. 

I don’t follow this line of thinking. We can absolutely become regular top 4/6 team, even champions. Jack won’t be sold, his value (footballing and marketing wise) far outweighs the equivalent of pocket change for these owners.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So Gregg Evans reporting that villa don't want to sell, want to offer him a new contract but will sell if it reaches £100 million. 

Can someone explain to how those ideas don't contradict each other? 

Seems like a poor journalist just hedging his bets so either way he can claim he reported the correct news. 

4 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

He is the WORST. I subscribe to The Athletic, love the Villa, but actively avoid his articles. It's becoming petty, I know it's becoming petty, but I welcome the pettiness given his journalistic style. 

He's shit. It's funny when he does a collab article with another journalist you can tell the bits he writes because they're so crap.

A friend of a friend is a journalist for The Athletic and lets just say Gregg isn't rated in the business either

• Like 1

How many new fans will jack generate from this euros and next year's World Cup? I would say half the kids at school probably will have Jack as their favourite player by the end of the euros.

That means that some of those go on to support villa. 

A bigger fan base means more commercial revenue.

Casual football fans who support a team due to a player 

This would be the first time we have a ' star' who will generate his own wage and then some.

Has a good world Cup and all of a sudden he's in Beckham marketability territory.

It's ultra important we keep him for both footballing and commercial value.

Man City isn't a project any more, its a buy everyone good from a rival, steam roller. The fun and excitement has ended for fans. It's now a see how many points we can win the league by pretty much year on year.

With the money jack will earn here, there or where ever, I think first and foremost is that he wants the excitement of playing and winning.

At man City the excitement of winning when it's expected every game would soon go and there is also no guarantee he would be playing anywhere near the amount he does at villa.

The ball is in villas hands in keeping him.

Sign 2 or 3 players to push us on and we qualify for Europe, he stays and is happy. 

Tread water or go backwards, he leaves. So signing 2 or 3 more big players this season for a further £100 million could pay for itself many times over after the world Cup.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's shit. It's funny when he does a collab article with another journalist you can tell the bits he writes because they're so crap.

A friend of a friend is a journalist for The Athletic and lets just say Gregg isn't rated in the business either

He really landed on his feet with this gig. We're a big club and he's the sole reporter for a huge organisation like the Athletic. 

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He really landed on his feet with this gig. We're a big club and he's the sole reporter for a huge organisation like the Athletic. 

they need to bin him off and get someone better. i think the athletic overall is great but his stuff sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Manchester City are also likely to firm up their interest in Grealish with a bid and if it reaches £100 million, it’s understood he will leave."

WTF is that...it's like a line from one of the red topped rags.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

How many new fans will jack generate from this euros and next year's World Cup? I would say half the kids at school probably will have Jack as their favourite player by the end of the euros.

That means that some of those go on to support villa. 

A bigger fan base means more commercial revenue.

Casual football fans who support a team due to a player 

This would be the first time we have a ' star' who will generate his own wage and then some.

Has a good world Cup and all of a sudden he's in Beckham marketability territory.

It's ultra important we keep him for both footballing and commercial value.

Man City isn't a project any more, its a buy everyone good from a rival, steam roller. The fun and excitement has ended for fans. It's now a see how many points we can win the league by pretty much year on year.

With the money jack will earn here, there or where ever, I think first and foremost is that he wants the excitement of playing and winning.

At man City the excitement of winning when it's expected every game would soon go and there is also no guarantee he would be playing anywhere near the amount he does at villa.

The ball is in villas hands in keeping him.

Sign 2 or 3 players to push us on and we qualify for Europe, he stays and is happy. 

Tread water or go backwards, he leaves. So signing 2 or 3 more big players this season for a further £100 million could pay for itself many times over after the world Cup.

Correct. Even Jacob Rees-Mogg gave him a mention in Parliament yesterday! He's the name on everyone's lips, other than the one that chooses the starting line up. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

Correct. Even Jacob Rees-Mogg gave him a mention in Parliament yesterday! He's the name on everyone's lips, other than the one that chooses the starting line up. 

shame...he was having a great summer until then

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Can someone explain to me how those ideas don't contradict each other? 

Honestly Jonah, I thought this. He contradicts himself almost immediately.

If he’d stated that there was a 100m release clause then it would make sense but he hasn’t so he just looks stupid. 

Again.

• Like 1

It's simply imperative that we keep hold of Jack this summer - and I think we will. It would be madness to let him go even for 100m or more. We're at one of these pivotal moments in the clubs history where we could break into top 6 and we must not balls it up. We have the most brilliant group of players, we have the investment, the facilities,everything we need for that big step forward. All we need now is strong resolve and leadership from the owners. We have a season coming up where Villa Park once again will be packed full of the noisiest fans in the country cheering on one of the biggest clubs in world football. It could be a very special season and I just don't think *Captain* Jack will give that up as easily as some people think. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly Jonah, I thought this. He contradicts himself almost immediately.

If he’d stated that there was a 100m release clause then it would make sense but he hasn’t so he just looks stupid. 

Again.

Exactly. 

It's just nonsense so he can say he was right no matter what happens. They're the worst sort of journalist in my opinion. I don't get why they do it. Look at the respect Percy has. Because he reports on what he knows. 

And if Gregg isn't able to know things because he has no valid sources or isn't trusted by the club, then he has no right being our main reporter for the Athletic. 

Edited by DCJonah

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Remember Evans did this all last summer too!

It’s sadly predictable. I really don’t get how he continues to peddle such information. Why are local journalists trying to undermine the club this way?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Remember Evans did this all last summer too!

pretty sure he even went onto an Athletic podcast talking it up, Jack signed a new deal a few days later

clueless Baggie fan

Â