Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

48 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Can't bring myself to watch Catch 22, even if it's good it's going to be crap compared to the book.

Bang on. In fact iirc, you were the one who recommended the book to me all those years ago.

• Like 1

I'll recommend it again. Later in his career Joseph Heller was accused of never writing another book as good as Catch 22. 

'who has?' was the fabulous reply.  

Finished Catch-22 yesterday and I'd recommend giving it a try! Can't remember the book so don't know how faithful it is but for me it has the right mix of comedy/profundity. Loved the aerial scenes.

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Speaking of Matt Berry, enjoyed the first episode of The Year of the Rabbit. I'll need to watch a few more to give a definitive opinion but it looks good on first impression.

yeah been on a bit of a Matt Berry binge myself off the back of WWDITS. Year of the rabbit quite funny but Toast of London is absolutely brilliant

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Finished it tonight. Easily the best comedy I've seen for a few years. Brilliantly written (no surprise given the talent involved) and had me in bits throughout. Clever as **** with some superb references to a myriad of horror movies old and new. **** loved it.

Different strokes eh? 🙂

I still prefer Wellington Paranormal even though I've seen it panned in here. Just tickles me .

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Weirdly I couldn't get through the book...

... should probably revisit that.

I’ll post something I wrote elsewhere on the internet about the book:

Just noticed this thread and I'm stunned nobody has mentioned Catch 22 by Joseph Heller yet. It's an incredible book.  

Hard to explain it really.  I know they made a movie, I've not seen it, but I've read the book twice and it's been at least ten years so it's high time I went through it again.  Set at the absolute arse end of World War 2 on an American air force base in Italy, it's a book about the insanity of war and the ridiculousness of bureaucracy. It reminds me quite a lot of Dr Strangelove and weirdly, the Ronnie Barker sitcom Porridge.  

Catch 22 is very funny and while not much really happens in terms of an overall plot (It's WW2. Spoiler: the Germans lose) it doesn't matter because the book is actually about the petty grievances between comrades and little victories they are constantly trying to score over each other. There is a central protagonist named Yossarian who just wants to go home but there is an ensemble cast of about twenty other characters who take centre stage from time to time. It’s deliberately confusing in the early chapters because it's all over the place, a bit like watching someone paint a picture and trying to guess what they are painting.  Heller will often reference things which the characters are all aware of but the reader doesn't and often doesn't reveal the information until much later. Often you will see the same event told from multiple points of view, usually including the different biases and opinions each character has which creates some really great "aha!" moments when you figure things out which previously seemed absurd. It's a brilliant, brilliant book. 

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I’ll post something I wrote elsewhere on the internet about the book:

I kind of got most of that when I was reading it. I just didn't think it was very good to be honest.

Like I said, I'll have to revisit it. It's one of those things that is held in such high regard that I know I'm probably wrong.

Finished the latest Black Mirror.

Second episode (Smithereen) was by far the best. But was also the least Black Mirror-y

First episode was a bit shit really. Kind of a cool concept but didn't hook me.

Third episode was in the middle but got a bit silly towards the end and had a bit of a shit ending.

Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Babylon Berlin. Blasted through them in a matter of days.

Looks really good and is well acted, rather nice to not have too many too familiar faces when watching stuff.

I't a good story and a really interesting period in history. Will be even more so in the upcoming seasons.

2 more seasons coming so that's good but no date yet.

It's on Netflix.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 10:42, Rodders said:

I loved The Good Place, seasons 1 and 2, 3 was a bit iffy so I'm glad they're ending it wth the 4th series increasing of spinning out convoluted ways of extending it. 

Agree with this. Haven’t finished theirs series yet, but can already tell not as good as first two. 

Watched the first episode of Warrior tonight. 

Initially caught my interest because it’s based on a concept by Bruce Lee, but it’s also got one of the creators of ‘Banshee’ behind it too. 

It was  a really promising start and it has the potential to be very decent.

I know there are a few fans of the utterly brilliant Banshee on here and I’d recommend giving this a go. It’s got the same feel to it and looks like it might have the same great mix of characters, stories, hardcore violence, bloodshed and boobies. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, sne said:

Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Babylon Berlin. Blasted through them in a matter of days.

Looks really good and is well acted, rather nice to not have too many too familiar faces when watching stuff.

I't a good story and a really interesting period in history. Will be even more so in the upcoming seasons.

2 more seasons coming so that's good but no date yet.

It's on Netflix.

Glad you enjoyed them. I’ve found Berlin”s 20th century fascinating since a 3 day visit there a few years back.

I”ve yet to watch the second series but will so on your recommendation.

I have been watching this Alcasser Girls case on Netflix. It is very interesting although I wish I could read Spanish to avoid Google translation for written coverage. 

An absolute abomination of an investigation and further the media TV coverage. It's like nothing I have seen before and I cannot get my head around any of it to have any logical opinion on what may have happened. 

I would recommend it to anybody who enjoys a true crime documentary though just for sheer ineptitude for seemingly most of those involved. 

Â