Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

The Virtues ended brilliantly.

The show is a bit of a slow burner, even though it's only 4 episodes and has some brilliant performances.

But the payoff is superb. Last episode was brilliant. I have one very big question about it...

Edited by Stevo985

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Possibly the highlight of the show. Brilliant scene.

Theres a fab wee documentary called "Chernobyl 3828" on youtube that you should check out which shows this operation in real life. only 30 minutes long but fascinating

one thing Chernobyl didn't touch on at the end was a few of the people (can definitely remember the chief miner) saying will we be rewarded, will we be looked after, im kind of guessing the answer was "no" (it was a solemn face and "I don't know" which i thought they did well) but like the guys on the roof I think got 800 rubles, what is that is new money? what did the soviets do for those who got sick after? for those who dug the tunnel, cleared the roof etc how much compo did they actually pay out?

edit - 800 rubles in todays money is a tenner :lol: 

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

one thing Chernobyl didn't touch on at the end was a few of the people (can definitely remember the chief miner) saying will we be rewarded, will we be looked after, im kind of guessing the answer was "no" (it was a solemn face and "I don't know" which i thought they did well) but like the guys on the roof I think got 800 rubles, what is that is new money? what did the soviets do for those who got sick after? for those who dug the tunnel, cleared the roof etc how much compo did they actually pay out?

edit - 800 rubles in todays money is a tenner :lol: 

Yeah according to the podcast everyone got financially rewarded, but it was pittance compared to the risks they were taking.

To me that reflected kind of a fine line between people doing it because they were doing it for their country, and doing it because they thought they'd get shot if they didn't.

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah according to the podcast everyone got financially rewarded, but it was pittance compared to the risks they were taking.

To me that reflected kind of a fine line between people doing it because they were doing it for their country, and doing it because they thought they'd get shot if they didn't.

the motives bit of it was really interesting, a mixture of emotional blackmail (millions will die if you don't) this is the soviet union and we need you to save us from disaster / embarrassment, financial reward, duty / job allocation resulting in there being no choice thanks to the threat of punishment 

that's why I think I liked the miners so much, grafters, working men, obeying orders to do work that will probably kill them in a duty to the motherland and yet at the same time complex characters 

and are we past spoilers yet?? not sure who is still watching it

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the motives bit of it was really interesting, a mixture of emotional blackmail (millions will die if you don't) this is the soviet union and we need you to save us from disaster / embarrassment, financial reward, duty / job allocation resulting in there being no choice thanks to the threat of punishment 

that's why I think I liked the miners so much, grafters, working men, obeying orders to do work that will probably kill them in a duty to the motherland and yet at the same time complex characters 

I think the spoilers with Chernobyl has always been a funny one because most people know a lot about what happened.

Bit like spoilering that the titanic sinks at the end of that movie.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Obeying orders doing horrible work but very much left to their own devices with nobody at all daring to bother them as long as they were meeting quotas etc

There is something to be said for that slight element of freedom given the other job choices available at the time

• Haha 1

Ep 7 of What We Do In The Shadows...

Gawd knows how they managed to get that calibre of guest stars into one episode but I can only assume that Taika Waititi has a serious amount of pull these days.

As for the show, it's been consistently brilliant and laugh out loud funny throughout. Superb.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I can't afford Sky or HBO so I'm watching Sellafield on Dave.

It's probably even better than Chernobyl.and Les Dennis is brilliant as the dodgy politician who tries to sweep it all under the rug.

If you have a high speed internet connection you don't have to give Sky or HBO a thing 😎

Thought Chernobyl was excellent, just finished Good Omens and found it watchable but not great. 

Just finishing Bosch at the moment which I really enjoy and then I must get up to date with Gotham.

• Like 1

Started when they see us, after watching the documentary and stuff like 13th I kind of knew what to expect but still it's horrible to watch and for me completely believable, great performances from the kids and the cops 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KHV said:

If you have a high speed internet connection you don't have to give Sky or HBO a thing 😎

I can afford both, and have both. 

There is no Sellafield starring Les Dennis. 

Hi I'm Carl. Pleased to meet you.

• Haha 1

Years and Years has turned out to be cracking. Was ready to fold after the first episode, I was thinking oh this is going to be a tedious apocalypse drama but it's turned out to be pretty good. 

19 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Obeying orders doing horrible work but very much left to their own devices with nobody at all daring to bother them as long as they were meeting quotas etc

There is something to be said for that slight element of freedom given the other job choices available at the time

The head miner has put on a few pounds since the days when he was getting his head smashed in with an iron on Eastenders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Years and Years has turned out to be cracking. Was ready to fold after the first episode, I was thinking oh this is going to be a tedious apocalypse drama but it's turned out to be pretty good. 

Yeah it's really good.

It's like a prequel to V for Vendetta :D 

On 11/06/2019 at 13:38, villa4europe said:

the tragedy of it all being all the work the miners did was for nowt as the liquid cooled quicker than they had thought and there was thus no need for the heat exchanger that they were digging the tunnel for 😕

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The head miner has put on a few pounds since the days when he was getting his head smashed in with an iron on Eastenders.

Good old Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

the tragedy of it all being all the work the miners did was for nowt as the liquid cooled quicker than they had thought and there was thus no need for the heat exchanger that they were digging the tunnel for 😕

And half of them were dead within a few years.

Â