Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What We Do In The Shadows is superb. I liked the film, but the show is superb. Matt Berry only seems to ever play one character, but he's brilliant at it.

I'm on my third sitting of it now 😁

Funny how people who you think have similar opinions to you can vary so differently. 

What We Do in the Shadows was wank. Not even a giggle. 

But I quite like Derry Girls 😜

When They See Us was **** superb. 

The guy playing Korey’s performance in particular was excellent. 

When

Spoiler

he’s hallucinating in solitary about being at Coney Island with his girlfriend 

i was in absolute bits. Brilliant. 

Avoid the Oprah Winfrey Special about it that’s on Netflix too though. It’s just then sucking each other off about how good the show is. There’s an interview with the five real men which is ok but even then it’s not that interesting. 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Funny how people who you think have similar opinions to you can vary so differently. 

What We Do in the Shadows was wank. Not even a giggle. 

But I quite like Derry Girls 😜

Yeah comedy is ridiculously subjective.

Again, not a titter for me at all through two episodes of Derry Girls but pretty much consistently through WWDITS. 

If it makes you laugh, then it's done it's job.

Just remember, there are people out there that like Mrs Brown's Boys.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah comedy is ridiculously subjective.

Again, not a titter for me at all through two episodes of Derry Girls but pretty much consistently through WWDITS. 

If it makes you laugh, then it's done it's job.

Just remember, there are people out there that like Mrs Brown's Boys.

Whatever our differences in opinion about comedy are, we will always be united by a hatred of Mrs Browns Boys

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Ok. I’m getting very excited about this now

Recently re-read the books again, so yeah I'm the same.

If they don't dilute the source too much (basically don't pander to the religious types and rip out the heart of the books) then it could be absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Recently re-read the books again, so yeah I'm the same.

If they don't dilute the source too much (basically don't pander to the religious types and rip out the heart of the books) then it could be absolutely brilliant.

That’s literally the key to it being good. 

Yeah they can make a decent show with great effects and tiptoe around the issue. 

But keeping that anti religious edge to the story is what makes it so good. Take that out and it’ll only ever be decent. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Avoid the Oprah Winfrey Special about it that’s on Netflix too though. It’s just then sucking each other off about how good the show is. There’s an interview with the five real men which is ok but even then it’s not that interesting. 

yeah only watch the 2nd half of it, said before the 2 of them are seemingly broken men which is heartbreaking to see

the more I think about it the more I don't know about Chernobyl sweeping award season, I think the actor who played Corey in particular could take best actor from the English guy, will be interesting, I think it is that good

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That Dark Materials trailer looks pretty similar to the movie to me. 

I kind of see what you mean. But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. 

There was nothing wrong with the movie in terms of how it looked on the whole. Could have done with being a bit darker, which I think this has done a good job of going by the trailer. But The trailer for the movie excited me too at the time. 

The problem with the movie was it felt rushed, there was no proper character development and the casting wasn’t quite right. And the key issue, they steered clear of the thing that makes the story so great, the anti religious angle. 

• Like 2

Just started watching "The Lawyer" (Swedish/Danish Scandi-noir on All 4). Nice to see a character wearing a claret t shirt with the slogan "I drink beer and I follow The Villa" ! 

• Like 1

Hmm.

I like bits of this. And other bits I'm more ambivalent to. It looks ok in some respects and in others I can't help thinking the game, whilst being less faithful to the books, might have been a better adaptation. Even down to tiny things like his wolf pendant. The one here looks awful.

But I'll be watching.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Hmm.

I like bits of this. And other bits I'm more ambivalent to. It looks ok in some respects and in others I can't help thinking the game, whilst being less faithful to the books, might have been a better adaptation. Even down to tiny things like his wolf pendant. The one here looks awful.

But I'll be watching.

Yeah I'll be all over that by virtue of the games alone.

I still prefer grizzled older Geralt though. Give me the Witcher equivalent of Logan and I'd be in heaven.

• Like 2

Think The Witcher is shaping up quite nicely if I'm honest, really looking forward to it. Knowing Henry is a massive fan of the games/books hopefully means he knows what's needed to help bring Geralt to the screen. I've read there are plenty of monsters too that the trailer only showed brief glimpses of one or two. 

Â