Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've mentioned it on here before and i'm sure i've been ridiculed but I do love a bit of Jonathan Creek every now and again!

Loved it when I was a teenager, thought it was one of the cleverest shows around.

Having seen a few back years later....well they’re not as clever as I remembered. Some real moments where dramatic license is utilised. The less said about the newer episodes, the better (although I do like Sarah Alexander).

But they’re a bit of daft fun. The one thing that still holds up rather well is the chemistry between Alan Davies and Caroline Quentin.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Just discovered Gavin and Stacey on Netflix. Obviously I'm very late with this one, but it's not bad. Had studiously avoided it due to the presence of James Corden but my partner who doesn't have the same prejudice forced me to watch an episode. I confess i find it has some very funny moments.

Parts of Gavin and Stacey are excellent. Real laugh out loud stuff. 

I too hate Corden, Gavin and Stacey is before he got too famous and stuck up how own arse. I think the Christmas one they do this year may ruin it as Corden will now be ooo look at me

Just caught the first five minutes of “I’ll get this”. Not quite sure what it is. Celebrities having a meal. 

Anyway, I think it was @bickster who began a thread naming who your biggest word removed is. Well, Janet Street Porter being on the show was the main reason I stopped after 5 minutes. And I maintain my stance in my one and only post to Bicks’ thread.

Just watched all of Chernobyl today when I got home from work. I'm broken. It's rage inducing, devastating, interesting, iconic yet it's taken me this long to really know what happened. This should be taught as history in schools instead of the Tudors. It's far more relevant and I would, suspect, more engaging to younger students. So many good people putting their lives on the line. The Mrs had to go upstairs for a the dogs whilst I remained and silently sobbed. Absolutely stunning work from HBO. 

Whizzed through Designated Survivor S03 as it's only ten episodes.

As someone else pointed out, it's gone a bit "sweary" and more hard edged, which improves it. President Moss really is an unlikable word removed :)

Also surprised to see certain characters meet their doom. Hope there is a season 4, in which at long last President Kirkman will morph into Jack Bauer and kill all the baddies himself.

• Like 1

Finally got round to giving After Life a go.

Thoroughly depressing and tear inducing, but I thought it was mostly brilliant. Best thing Gervais has done since Extras, imo.

Watched the whole thing yesterday.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Just watched all of Chernobyl today when I got home from work. I'm broken. It's rage inducing, devastating, interesting, iconic yet it's taken me this long to really know what happened. This should be taught as history in schools instead of the Tudors. It's far more relevant and I would, suspect, more engaging to younger students. So many good people putting their lives on the line. The Mrs had to go upstairs for a the dogs whilst I remained and silently sobbed. Absolutely stunning work from HBO. 

The proper scary thing is to compare how Fukashima was downplayed at the time even though we could watch things go to shit in real time. They had plenty of warnings too, but dollars once again ruled the day. 

Are we learning yet?!?

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Whizzed through Designated Survivor S03 as it's only ten episodes.

As someone else pointed out, it's gone a bit "sweary" and more hard edged, which improves it. President Moss really is an unlikable word removed :)

Also surprised to see certain characters meet their doom. Hope there is a season 4, in which at long last President Kirkman will morph into Jack Bauer and kill all the baddies himself.

Yes I mentioned the sweariness, apparently it was on network TV in America but Netlfix have picked up this series so lots of effin and jeffin thrown in for the sake of it.  Apart from that though I think the writing has been much better (not hard to be better than the first two series mind you).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Has anyone seen Oz (HBO), it's on my list, supposed to be excellent?

It was great back in the day but it's aged a lot now. It also gets worse as the season's progress too.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2019 at 11:12, Stevo985 said:

Just heed the usual warning for anyone watching The Wire.

You'll be underwhelmed for 3 or 4 episodes. Pretty much everyone who ever watches it says the same. 

On 04/06/2019 at 13:55, The_Rev said:

The Wire probably needs at least a half dozen episodes. That's not because it starts badly or anything, it's intentionally a slow burn. The show is as much about character arcs and world building as it is about a traditional beginning/middle/end plot and some of the storylines take dozens of episodes to pay off. The upside of this of course is that the payoffs are great, even little things matter and you really get to know the characters to the point where people who were just standing around in the background in season 1 might end up becoming key players later on. It's a brilliant television show. 

I'm very late on this one but having read about it on VT and in various newspaper TV sections and now i have SkyQ, I've just started watching The Wire with Mrs imavillan.. 

@Stevo985 & @The_Rev Spot on about giving it a few episodes. I guess it's like a book, it takes a few chapters to really get into it.

On to episode 7 of the first series and now i'm hooked on it. The characters and storyline is coming alive and it's all making sense. Although the language is rather ripe in that particular episode with lots of SYNT :blush::) from one of the dealers.

That said though, i'm having to watch it with subtitles on as the American slang street dialect from the drug dealers is something else. :wacko:

Thats my binge tv sorted for a while to come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I tried it about a month ago. Couldn’t get past the second episode. 

It wasn’t bad, just didn’t grab me. Been meaning to go back but not got round to it yet. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes. Oz is incredible. You'll see loads of actors who you'll recognise from The Wire and other series.

Adebisi is one of my favourite characters of all time. Such a bastard! 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I still think Oz has a sudden and rapid decline akin to Game of Thrones or Aston Villa in the latter days of Randy Lerner. Season 4, episode 9 is basically when we sold James Milner. 

@imavillan I found myself looking at maps of Maryland at one point just to figure out what the East Side/West Side thing is all about, where Annapolis is and how far Baltimore is from Washington DC. 😅

Edited by The_Rev
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I still think Oz has a sudden and rapid decline akin to Game of Thrones or Aston Villa in the latter days of Randy Lerner. Season 4, episode 9 is basically when we sold James Milner. 

Yeah, the final couple of seasons are a bit shit, but the first few are brilliant and well worth watching. 

To be honest, I struggle to think of many series that do end well. 

Sopranos, The Wire..... struggling to think of more. I'm sure they exist tho.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Jessica Jones season three just started. Suprised this one didn’t get cancelled like the others...

9 eipsodes in, It isn't very good and the Villain is rather pathetic. Since the 2nd or 3rd episode i have been wondering why the hell i am watching it and contemplating just watching the final episode instead but for some reason i have endured another 6+ hours. I will be very glad when it is over

Â