Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

tried Fleabag this morning. Some bits were funny I guess, but I find awkward comedy tough to watch. Also, comedic premises that seem to revolve around 'celebrating' the fact we're all masking some chaotic mess underneath is depressing.  The whole talking to the camera thing I found intensely irritating. I'll generally give comedies a bit longer, but for those who've seen it, is the first episode indicative of what's to come?

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's one of the few shows that ticks the boxes for both me and the other half, I've got a massive backlog of brilliant shows I need to finish that she's not interested in (Band of Brothers, Handmaid's tale...". I need to kick her out for a weekend.

Band of Brothers I can understand, but Handmaid's Tale is aimed squarely at the sisterhood. Mrs M rated it very highly (she's also a fan of Atwood's books). 

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

tried Fleabag this morning. Some bits were funny I guess, but I find awkward comedy tough to watch. Also, comedic premises that seem to revolve around 'celebrating' the fact we're all masking some chaotic mess underneath is depressing.  The whole talking to the camera thing I found intensely irritating. I'll generally give comedies a bit longer, but for those who've seen it, is the first episode indicative of what's to come?

I'd say yes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think it's one of the best British shows of that type I've ever seen.

Series 4 wasn't as good as the first 3 but it was still brilliant.

I'm on series 2 now, the policewoman getting defenestrated was a genuine wtf moment.  Wasn't expecting it at all.  It's enjoyable enough but I wouldn't say it's one of the greatest things I've ever watched, I think being part of the hype and waiting each week for a new episode would add to the whole experience.

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm on series 2 now, the policewoman getting defenestrated was a genuine wtf moment. 

Literally just finished watching this episode.

"Well, it's a hospital, the window won't open" pipes up the girlfriend. "Her partner will get up and save the day, obviously", I think. "...Oh." 😂

One question...At what point did you think the guy who's clearly a man wearing an ill-fitting wig decided to get in to his ensemble? Surely it would have drawn more attention to him walking through the hospital than him just walking through as a normal looking guy?!

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

How else would I have an opinion about it ? It's up there with Peaky Blinders when it comes to hype. This season's plot seems even more absurd than last season's. Incidentally, I remember you raving about it last year, but hey, knock yourself out. 

Just seems weird that if you hate a show you keep watching it. I think you described it as pretentious crap or something.

Yeah I did rave about it last year. As did most people who watched it. Weird I know ;) 

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm on series 2 now, the policewoman getting defenestrated was a genuine wtf moment.  Wasn't expecting it at all.  It's enjoyable enough but I wouldn't say it's one of the greatest things I've ever watched, I think being part of the hype and waiting each week for a new episode would add to the whole experience.

it's not one of the greatest things I've ever watched, but I think it's one of the better British shows of that ilk.

PS you're only on season 2... ;) 

The BBC has this habit of self promoting/hyping/advertising its own shows constantly on its website, BBC Breakfast and One Show etc, eg Line of Duty, Bodyguard, Fleabag to name just 3. These "flagship" shows are rammed down my throat so much that I just refuse to watch them, so its counter-productive in my opinion.

I'd much rather explore Netflix and find a show myself off my own back.

26 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

The BBC has this habit of self promoting/hyping/advertising its own shows constantly on its website, BBC Breakfast and One Show etc, eg Line of Duty, Bodyguard, Fleabag to name just 3. These "flagship" shows are rammed down my throat so much that I just refuse to watch them, so its counter-productive in my opinion.

I'd much rather explore Netflix and find a show myself off my own back.

You're missing out then 🤷‍♂️

Re. Line of Duty, some lovely work from Stephen Graham and Martin Compston in the car scene this week.

Also, did anyone notice in the scene when the OCG were talking about there being a ‘Rat’, Stephen Graham’s acting was top notch because he was actually acting ‘acting’ if that makes sense. This was because he was surrounded by the OCG members…It very subtly done (voice inflections etc), but superb.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Re. Line of Duty, some lovely work from Stephen Graham and Martin Compston in the car scene this week.

Also, did anyone notice in the scene when the OCG were talking about there being a ‘Rat’, Stephen Graham’s acting was top notch because he was actually acting ‘acting’ if that makes sense. This was because he was surrounded by the OCG members…It very subtly done (voice inflections etc), but superb.

Graham is always excellent. One of my favourite actors, certainly at this sort of level.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Graham is always excellent. One of my favourite actors, certainly at this sort of level.

Yep, good enough for Scorsese is good enough for me.

The scene from the most recent This is England series where 

Spoiler

Graham's character is apologising to Milky and then MIlky's family turn up to, presumably, kill him

is something that has stuck with me since I saw it. He's brilliant in that show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'd never seen him in anything before until LoD. He is really good. I am really not quite sure at all where he is. 

Really? Never seen Snatch? What about Boardwalk Empire?

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Really? Never seen Snatch? What about Boardwalk Empire?

Never seen Snatch. Think I did watch a couple of episodes of Boardwalk Empire and meant to go back to it, but never did and amid the tsunami of new shows that have emerged since, didn't go back. Did he play an Al Capone character - or even the al capone?

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Never seen Snatch. Think I did watch a couple of episodes of Boardwalk Empire and meant to go back to it, but never did and amid the tsunami of new shows that have emerged since, didn't go back. Did he play an Al Capone character - or even the al capone?

Yep he played Al Capone. Scorsese absolutely adores him, and he's in The Irishman (upcoming Scorsese film) alongside De Niro, Pacino and Pesci.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Â