Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

'Wayne' on prime is absolutely brilliant.

Violent, mental story about a wee psycho guy going on a roadtrip with a girl to find a car.

Music, acting, dialogue all top class. Highly recommended

Sounds good but cancelled after one season. Annoying when they do that.

I'd recommend 'The Train Now Departing' from the late-80s as a quick watch for those who like Steam Railways. There is a great episode that depicts a middle-aged and grumpy man attempting to re-live his childhood Holiday to Devon.  

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 09:52, stuart_75 said:

Just started The Godfather of Harlem staring Forrest Whitaker. 2 episodes in and its great. Loads of good actors faces I've seen before and plenty violence. Fully recommended 8/10 WB.

Watched the first episode last night. Brilliant. 

What a cast! Nigel Thatch is brilliant as Malcolm X 

What I didn’t realise is, it’s actually a prequel to the 2007 film - American Gangster. 

• Like 1

The Good Fight, spin off from The Good Wife.

Season one already done, good acting and stories, nice migration of a few characters from The Good Wife.

Can't beat a good lawyer drama.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 02:42, maqroll said:

[Re: 'The Terror'] I couldn't make out if was one of those supernatural horror/thriller type films, which I usually hate.

So do I. It isn't. Well, not exactly. It's historically based, on the Franklin Expedition of 1845 to seek the fabled northwest passage to Asia, round the top of Canada. The two ships (HMS Erebus and HMS Terror) went missing in the ice, and the crews were never seen alive again. The TV version is speculation as to what may have happened to them. Inevitably, there is a bigfoot-type creature stalking them - and for me, this is the weakest part of the series, especially once the CGI monster appears on screen. But actually, that's only one plot element, and the story would work just as well without it, given the whole men-against-the-elements/personal rivalries/mutiny stuff that makes up the meat of the drama. The cinematography, set design, costumes and (especially) acting are all first rate. It's worth watching. 

There is a second series under the same banner, but with an entirely different setting - a California internment camp for Japanese civilians in WWII (again, with a supernatural element thrown in). Which sounds interesting, but it's had overwhelmingly bad reviews, compared with S1. 

• Like 1

Just finished Man in Room 301 (BBC) - fairly typical Scandi-noir, in this case from Finland. Quite cleverly plotted, with more red herrings than a Soviet trawler, but ultimately a bit generic. 

I keep meaning to watch the Terror.

The story that inspired it is surprisingly fascinating. They exhumed 3 bodies from the expedition in the 80s, and discovered they'd been extremely well preserved in the frost - they'd basically become mummified and barely decomposed at all. Haunting stuff.

• Like 1

Really quite enjoyed Your Honour on Sky Atlantic. 

What started as a difficult quandary soon spun out of control. 

A few gripes about it around characters decision making but it was definitely entertaining. 

Spoiler

I had a.feeling it wasn't going to end well for the son in a karma type way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

The new episode of Taskmaster was decent I thought 

A solid start to the new series. Already, Lee Mack and Mike Wozniak look good contestants and sure I'll grow to like the others once it gets going. 

• Like 1

Finished The Punisher season 2 - fantastic. Shame its been cancelled

Change of pace after that and now watching Superstore on Netflix. I like it.

I’ve done that terribly modern / pandemic thing and binge watched a box set.

We’ve been watching Designated Survivor, started it in the week, we got to episode 17 of 21 yesterday for the first series.

It’s been ramping up, day 1, we watched 2, day 2, we watched 3, then we watched another 3, then 4... then 5 yesterday.

Currently discussing whether we finish it this evening.

Weirdly, it’s not that awesomely great, but it is compelling enough to keep agreeing to watch another one. That coupled with only have seconds before the next one starts, has sort of carried us along.

• Like 2

Yeah I remember reading about the sailors frozen in ice. The image was always really fascinatingly stuck in my head.

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_john-torrington.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve done that terribly modern / pandemic thing and binge watched a box set.

We’ve been watching Designated Survivor, started it in the week, we got to episode 17 of 21 yesterday for the first series.

It’s been ramping up, day 1, we watched 2, day 2, we watched 3, then we watched another 3, then 4... then 5 yesterday.

Currently discussing whether we finish it this evening.

Weirdly, it’s not that awesomely great, but it is compelling enough to keep agreeing to watch another one. That coupled with only have seconds before the next one starts, has sort of carried us along.

Having watched all 3 series my advice would be:

tenor.gif

Although it is unrealistic it is just so easy to watch and the storylines on the whole are amusing/interesting.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 15:03, wazzap24 said:

Watched the first episode last night. Brilliant. 

What a cast! Nigel Thatch is brilliant as Malcolm X 

What I didn’t realise is, it’s actually a prequel to the 2007 film - American Gangster. 

Been meaning to catch this. The subscription isn't that bad a price. Hopefully it's a lot more nearer to the truth than American Gangster was. 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 23:17, Chindie said:

I keep meaning to watch the Terror.

The story that inspired it is surprisingly fascinating. They exhumed 3 bodies from the expedition in the 80s, and discovered they'd been extremely well preserved in the frost - they'd basically become mummified and barely decomposed at all. Haunting stuff.

Just finished my binge of The Terror. Absolutely loved it. Some fine acting and an excellent production. Mr Hickey, is definitely going into my top 5 of the most despicable characters ever to appear on screen. Some of the scenes were actually terrifying. 

What a tremendous actor Jared Harris is,equally as good as his father was and that's some accolade. 

• Like 4

Â