Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Thoughts on the proposed changes in the schedule? Seems every 5-10 years there has to be an expensive ECB review to restructure the game. They always state the main aim is to preserve the sanctity of Test Match Cricket- and then to proceed to lower the number of County Championship games as they don't make any money. 

As Joathan Liew mentioned recently cricket is now entirely reliant on the IPL and the rest is dressed up flannel. The most recent IPL broadcast deal sold for over £5 billion.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Thoughts on the proposed changes in the schedule? Seems every 5-10 years there has to be an expensive ECB review to restructure the game. They always state the main aim is to preserve the sanctity of Test Match Cricket- and then to proceed to lower the number of County Championship games as they don't make any money. 

As Joathan Liew mentioned recently cricket is now entirely reliant on the IPL and the rest is dressed up flannel. The most recent IPL broadcast deal sold for over £5 billion.

I think there is too much international cricket nowadays. It's non-stop. 

County cricket is shit now. Used to be ace. 18 teams, one big league and anyone could win. Now there is far more disparity between teams. Worcestershire have no hope of winning the county championship again, they're just a feeder team nowadays

The Hundred can GTFO. Absolute pile of wank. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think there is too much international cricket nowadays. It's non-stop. 

County cricket is shit now. Used to be ace. 18 teams, one big league and anyone could win. Now there is far more disparity between teams. Worcestershire have no hope of winning the county championship again, they're just a feeder team nowadays

The Hundred can GTFO. Absolute pile of wank. 

The problem with one big league was that while in theory any of the 18 teams could win, after a few games actually 14 or 15 of them had nothing to play for if they were too far behind the leaders and had no relegation or promotion.  Then they'd have to go straight into a match with in a totally different format the next day, sometimes in the other end of the country.  There'd be too much soft cricket going on.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Xela said:

Thank fook the appalling Hundred is over. Pile of shite. 

My kid loves it.  It's fun, yes it takes away from the counties (which is bad obviously), but my 7 year old isn't going to get into cricket without tournaments like vitality blast or the hundred, and he's absolutely in love with the game now (wants to be a cricketer over footballer).  He has me bowling at him in the garden most nights.

The oldies hate it, and I get why, but the game needs youth and the hundred is getting them in the doors.  Phoenix's last game was a sell out at edgbaston, that doesn't even happen for the blast, unless it's finals day.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2022 at 11:25, rjw63 said:

Can anyone explain how you can fracture a leg playing golf?

It was a freak injury. He wasn't even playing golf, he was on his way to the tee and he fell. It hasn't been said, exactly how he came to fall and why. It's rotten luck, however it came to happen and when his game was at an all time high too. :(

A total washout today at the Test Match then. Having won the toss, it would have been nice to have had two or three short burst at them, in what would have been difficult conditions to bat, as was the case for us in the first innings of the first test. 

On 04/09/2022 at 11:15, lapal_fan said:

My kid loves it.  It's fun, yes it takes away from the counties (which is bad obviously), but my 7 year old isn't going to get into cricket without tournaments like vitality blast or the hundred, and he's absolutely in love with the game now (wants to be a cricketer over footballer).  He has me bowling at him in the garden most nights.

The oldies hate it, and I get why, but the game needs youth and the hundred is getting them in the doors.  Phoenix's last game was a sell out at edgbaston, that doesn't even happen for the blast, unless it's finals day.

Not only that but Mrs Sidcow has got interested in cricket and actually wants to buy some tickets.  She's showed zero interest in Cricket previously. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2022 at 11:15, lapal_fan said:

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not only that but Mrs Sidcow has got interested in cricket and actually wants to buy some tickets.  She's showed zero interest in Cricket previously. 

How much of that could have been done with a similar men’s / women’s cricket, cheap ticket format for T20 with traditional counties? Would have been more venues and you could have still had all the fancy kits and music and stuff. I mean that’s basically the IPL.

What I dislike about the Hundred is the format is no easier to understand (it’s just short form cricket) and it takes cricket away from a bunch of good venues.

Anyway, on today’s showing, it looks like BazBall will get a fair few people into Test cricket again!

Â