Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

The openers set the platform for the chase. I worry if we loose early wickets tomorrow with our long tail. Otherwise we should coast it now. 

Yep, I think this could still be really tight looking at the averages...

• Stokes 36
  • Billings 15
  • Potts 2
  • Broad 18
  • Leach 14
  • Anderson 9

Ok those Billings and Potts averages are probably both 10+ runs short of their actual ability, but the tail (w/ Stokes) gives you a total of 94 on batting averages, and we need 119 to win. Add 10 on to each of Billings and Potts and you get 114.

So we really need Root and Bairstow to stick around, or Stokes to do something special.

Should be an all-time classic 5th day.

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Get out with 1 run and give Jimmy the honors of scoring the winning run for the first time :lol:

I’m not sure I could cope, Jimmy would have for balls and then be bowled 

Edited by mikeyp102

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not sure I could cope, Jimmy would have for balls and then be bowled 

We have 6/7 wickets in hand, just need Johnny or Joe to gift it to him :lol: 

• Haha 1

It's a bit like being a Villa fan.  I'm so conditioned to self destruct I was convinced that after persuading me against my better judgement we were on for an improbable victory, we would inevitably lose Bairstow and Root early this morning followed by a collapse.  But they just couldn't have done it any more convincingly.

Well done England.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I really hope this 6th wicket hoodoo doesn't last. Chasing down a total is great and all that, but imagine if we continued our momentum when we get those early wickets. We'd destroy teams. 

Also, I saw Root has the most centuries of the current batsmen (28).

• Like 1

Has there been a discussion within the international cricketing world to make test cricket more exciting or have England just taken the bull by the horns and ploughed ahead with this new brand? 

Both NZ and India seemed to also be up for it but I don’t know if that’s because of a wider directive/discussion or if it was in response to the way England played.

Either way, it’s great to see and I’m very glad I got tickets for the South Africa test at OT later in the year.

7 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I really hope this 6th wicket hoodoo doesn't last. Chasing down a total is great and all that, but imagine if we continued our momentum when we get those early wickets. We'd destroy teams. 

Also, I saw Root has the most centuries of the current batsmen (28).

And there was an 18 month period where he couldn't get to that from a good 50.

His stats are becoming astonishing. 

• Like 2

I still think there is something very very odd with the Dukes ball this year that's helping with this.

The early excitement with wickets falling like ninepins followed by the supreme batting leading to huge scores.

The ball needing replacing so frequently.  I assume the used ball selection from the box (KW) is a selection from current years balls.  They haven't been in storage from previous years?

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I still think there is something very very odd with the Dukes ball this year that's helping with this.

The early excitement with wickets falling like ninepins followed by the supreme batting leading to huge scores.

The ball needing replacing so frequently.  I assume the used ball selection from the box (KW) is a selection from current years balls.  They haven't been in storage from previous years?

Batting practice balls from before the game.  

• Thanks 1

England Twitter account taking a jab at Kohli just now, fantastic stuff. Hope we never see him batting in England again tbh

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Has there been a discussion within the international cricketing world to make test cricket more exciting or have England just taken the bull by the horns and ploughed ahead with this new brand? 

Both NZ and India seemed to also be up for it but I don’t know if that’s because of a wider directive/discussion or if it was in response to the way England played.

Either way, it’s great to see and I’m very glad I got tickets for the South Africa test at OT later in the year.

I’ve been trying to figure out exactly why BazBall works, and why nobody else has tried it before. It’s a bit baffling isn’t it. Sure, pitches are better now, but that doesn’t explain the massive 4th innings totals.

the various theories seem to be…

• Pitches hold up much better across the 5 days, so batting first and putting on big early totals is less important. All innings are equal now.
  • Ball doesn’t swing or reverse as much, gets easier to hit as it gets older. This explains why the middle order are getting so many runs, but doesn’t explain favouring the later innings, since it’s a new ball each innings?
  • With players learning their trade through white ball cricket (esp T20) it’s pointless to try and build an old fashioned defensive test innings, because nobody knows how to do it. And no reason to favour a 200-ball 50 over a 60-ball 50.
  • Psychologically, once you start targeting 4th innings runs chases, it completely transforms the way the two captains attack the game. Gets in the opponents’ heads and can force errors. Takes the psychological boost of the coin toss out of the equation if you’re equally happy batting first or second.
  • The physical workload of modern cricket means bowlers slow down and bowl more trash towards the end of the test? So a better time to start going after them?

But none of this really explains why we keep pulling off these massive chases at the end. Why aren’t we doing better in the first innings?

Be interested to see how it plays out over a few more series in different conditions.

Â