Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

How much of that could have been done with a similar men’s / women’s cricket, cheap ticket format for T20 with traditional counties? Would have been more venues and you could have still had all the fancy kits and music and stuff. I mean that’s basically the IPL.

I mean, they've already got that pretty much. For some reason I can't put my finger on the hundred has fired peoples imagination in a way that T20 doesn't. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I mean, they've already got that pretty much. For some reason I can't put my finger on the hundred has fired peoples imagination in a way that T20 doesn't. 

Yeah, wondering if it’s just the amount of money they piled into marketing it and keeping ticket prices low for kids? The format itself is, what, 100 balls vs 120 balls so surely it’s not the speed of the games that makes it more watchable?

I dunno, I wasn’t totally opposed to it, but in the end it just seemed to be a very slight twist on T20. Maybe they generated more hype by making it different. It’s just a big shame imo that a lot of places missed out. Didn’t really understand why that was necessary.

just such a needlessly stupid approach to batting.  South Africa should be dead and buried but now firmly back in the game. Will serve England right if they lose this. A devilish part of me sort of hopes they do, to not endorse this brainless approach to cricket. It's not **** 2020

Was there yesterday , 17 wickets in one day was bonkers

regretting FaceTime’ing   my Yarpie mate from the ground  and laughing at him though , note to self wait until game is over next time 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How big a lead will be too much for us do you reckon?

150 looks like a mountain.

In the other tests this summer we'd have likely (previously) have said "that's too many" but England have chased down big totals with relative ease. I know every match is different and the Saffers bowling is class, but I'd take 150.

• Like 1

Crawley was superb then, at least what I saw anyway.

Game in the bag short of England putting in what would have to be their most dismal collapse of all time.

You can argue if it’s ‘true test cricket’ or not but it’s entertaining and England appear to be profiting from it overall, save for the odd bad day or two.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2022 at 11:42, Rodders said:

just such a needlessly stupid approach to batting.  South Africa should be dead and buried but now firmly back in the game. Will serve England right if they lose this. A devilish part of me sort of hopes they do, to not endorse this brainless approach to cricket. It's not **** 2020

9 wicket victory, maybe not so bad afterall eh? 

23 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Was there yesterday , 17 wickets in one day was bonkers

regretting FaceTime’ing   my Yarpie mate from the ground  and laughing at him though , note to self wait until game is over next time 

je ne regrette rien

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

9 wicket victory, maybe not so bad afterall eh? 

That we won is a reflection of our bowling strength and their weak batting. It doesn't invalidate the fact our approach to batting is needlessly stupid at times. I do like positivity and I've been lucky enough to watch a couple of days of it in test matches against india and new zealand in the summer. It's great fun when conditions suit it, but we're allowed to have more than one way to play a game

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Looks like Warwickshire are aiming for the most underwhelming defence of a county Championship win ever. 

Something's gone very wrong with the Bears - loads of people leaving, players, coach, stuff like that. I wonder if the club has just concentrated on commerce and ground developments, and lost a bit of focus on actually playing cricket. I don't think they were ever likely to defend the title, but getting relegated is a bit of a shock (if it happens) compared to what I thought would happen - maybe 4th or 5th.

• Like 1

Â