Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

13 minutes ago, veloman said:

Don't know if this should be in the Deadpool thread , but Duncan Fearnley has died. His bats reigned supreme during the 70's and early 80's. The (very poor) team I played for had them . And for a bonus point , we DID buy them from Harry Parkes shop !!

Had 2 of them as a kid - Graeme Hick 405* ones :) 

They were everywhere in the 90s as well. Not sure what bats people use nowadays. 

Good article on the Duncan Fearnley bats, written a couple of years back

How many club players must have thought that after seeing Sir Ian Botham give the Australians – as Basil Fawlty might say – “a damn good thrashing” in 1981.

We all know what happened in that Headingley Test, the iconic figure of Beefy having more fun than any of us could dream of as he bashed 149, clad in his England creams, with the iconic three Lions under the crown on his sweater. His bat also had a simple, iconic logo: three black stumps, the insignia of Duncan Fearnley.

The batmaker, a former Worcestershire player, surely could not have believed his luck. Bat sales went through the roof. My cricket teacher had one, prompting me to copy him. I bought a Magnum. It was too heavy but it looked good, with its green and black stickers.

Just as I chronicled how Slazenger were huge at various stages in my last ‘bat special’, most notably perhaps the 1960s and 1990s, Fearnley ruled the 1980s. 

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/opinion/botham_epic_knocks_and_building_the_perfect_bat_the_duncan_fearnley_story.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/03/2024 at 20:02, Xela said:

Had 2 of them as a kid - Graeme Hick 405* ones :) 

They were everywhere in the 90s as well. Not sure what bats people use nowadays. 

My lad loves Grey Nicholls (Because of Sam Hain and Harry Brook), but Kookaburra are doing really decent, entry level bats/equipment that seem popular.

GM are good, New Balance sponsor Root and they're pretty good too.

Lots of smaller manufacturers of things too, like H&M (I think!) and a local one for Worcester which I can't remember.

Anyway, the reason I pulled this back up was to say YOU BEARS!!! 😱🤩

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Anyway, the reason I pulled this back up was to say YOU BEARS!!! 😱🤩

Never even heard of the guy that scored 256, but hope he keeps it up (kw gif).

• Like 1

After two tons and a double century, warwick's number four out for one.

I bet he went back in and destroyed the dressing room.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Never even heard of the guy that scored 256, but hope he keeps it up (kw gif).

Alex Davies is really good and has been for some time tbh, surprised you've not heard of him!

Came from Lancs I think, wicketkeeper batsman.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

After two tons and a double century, warwick's number four out for one.

I bet he went back in and destroyed the dressing room.

:lol:imagine how long he'd have been sat in his bats,.just to face a few balls for 5 mins 

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

:lol:imagine how long he'd have been sat in his bats,.just to face a few balls for 5 mins 

I'd have gone **** berserk, you might have gathered I'm a very bad loser ;)

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Why declare with Rhodes on 178 not out?🙄

I went down there with my lad and his mate thinking we'd see 810-4 beaten and we'd just got in after we declared :crylaugh:

Saw 2 wickets, but I think if we hadn't have declared when we did, we wouldn't have a chance at winning.  The wicket we're playing on is so far over the pitch, getting 4s is really easy and if you bat towards the Hollies, you can run 3 pretty safely.

It feels like a draw kind of game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surrey set 209 from 18  overs and have decided to go for it  

currently 79-0 going at 11.02  an over , its like a T20 game with a red ball 

Â