Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If England are going to persist with the ‘bazball’ approach then I guess there will be occasional scores of 150 or less, hopefully only occasional though, any more regularity and it’ll be back to drawing boards again.

I’ve got tickets for day 4 of the next test (Old Trafford), chances of it even reaching day 4? 

You might get to see Jonny et al chasing down 450

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If England are going to persist with the ‘bazball’ approach then I guess there will be occasional scores of 150 or less, hopefully only occasional though, any more regularity and it’ll be back to drawing boards again.

I’ve got tickets for day 4 of the next test (Old Trafford), chances of it even reaching day 4? 

Not sure BazBall was the problem this time.

First day was horrendous batting conditions against a great bowling lineup and we’d have likely ripped through SA if they’d batted first.

I *think* I’m right in saying that Old Trafford is more batsman friendly so you should be ok… 🤞

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Right then, knock these last two over, pop in a quick 450 and we're favourites no?

No.

I would agree but there is just one tiny flaw in your thought process. 

All for aggressive cricket, but what is the thinking behind Broad trying to launch literally everything for 6. Lots of dumb cricket today.

I like BazBall but if it’s just insanely trying to play t20 shots against star bowlers, I don’t really get the point. Why not pick a bowler to target, or have spells of blocking it a bit?

England have now faced 490 balls in this match. Unless they can face another 18, it will be their third shortest match as batting team in a home Test in innings they've completed.

didn't make those 18 balls. 

It's **** dumb cricket, a complete lack of respect to the world class bowlers we were facing. They only scored 326 in their one innings and they've completed an innings victory. Pathetic, mind-numbingly pathetic defeat. 315/20 we were from not even 90 overs.

Positive cricket - great. Brainless cricket - not fun for anyone involved. I hope South Africa, carry on and win the last two matches just so that thick idiot Stokes cuts down on his meaningless stupid chutzpah speeches. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

All for aggressive cricket, but what is the thinking behind Broad trying to launch literally everything for 6. Lots of dumb cricket today.

I like BazBall but if it’s just insanely trying to play t20 shots against star bowlers, I don’t really get the point. Why not pick a bowler to target, or have spells of blocking it a bit?

Too late by then though. I just look at the difference between the two bowling attacks. Anderson and Broad have had their day. 

• Like 1

Bazball has its place. But I genuinely think it only works when counterattacking/chasing big scores. We saw that no one chased down 300+ by just simply trying to occupy the crease so the aggressiveness against New Zealand was absolutely fine and justified. Continuing to try and slog it out the ground when four or five down (particularly in the first innings & when batting firs) is just totally stupid. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When it works it’ll be spectacularly good.

When it fails it’ll be spectacularly bad.

I can live with it if it’s in equal measure.

Yeah it's a bit like the white ball team would throw in the occasional abysmal performance but win loads so it's worth continuing with the policy.  The jury is still out though, the bits I saw it didn't seem to be that reckless, albeit I didn't see today's innings.  Ultimately it's still Root fails twice = defeat, whatever the tactics are and we wouldn't have won the first 4 Tests of the summer under previous management.

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When it works it’ll be spectacularly good.

When it fails it’ll be spectacularly bad.

I can live with it if it’s in equal measure.

I’m not sure what the long term plan is to be honest. 

The test team has always lacked a bit of aggression, always valued the Boycott approach of protecting their wickets more than keeping the scoreboard ticking over. The modern game has changed a lot and that mindset needs to change with it, but a 20/20 approach will never work in test cricket, they’re almost completely different sports. 

When I look at the great Aussie teams from a couple a couple of decades ago, Waugh, Gilchrist, Langer, Hayden etc, all of these guys were very aggressive players that could take a game away in a session, and if the top order failed they had guys coming in at 8/9 that could easily add another 60/70 runs. The difference is that they all played the percentages, leave/block the good balls, and go after everything that deserved to be hit. Jo Root is the only player we have imo that plays in a similar way. 

Is the plan to simply change the mindset of test batters long term, adding extra aggression and working slowly on getting the balance like the Aussie example I gave above? Or are we going forward with the much more basic plan of using a 1 day mindset in Tests? 

I hope it’s the former because the latter will fail more often than it succeeds. 

Edited by av1

Hope SA annihilate them in the next two tests. Good chance they will tbf as their bowling attack is outstanding. Nortje and Rabada in particular so dangerous. And they have an opener who is not garbage. 

• Shocked 1

Aggressive cricket is fine. Reckless and braindead cricket isn't. 

Its the only way we can play as the ECB have destroyed red ball cricket in this country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Hope SA annihilate them in the next two tests. Good chance they will tbf as their bowling attack is outstanding. Nortje and Rabada in particular so dangerous. And they have an opener who is not garbage. 

Why would you hope for England to get annihilated?!

Surely it would be better if it worked and England annihilated other teams?

Â