Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Just now, PussEKatt said:

What if he catches it as it flies over his head BUT his feet are inside the rope ?

Out. There are some spectacular rope catches on youtube. 

The fielder can also flip the ball back in for someone else to catch.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

What if he catches it as it flies over his head BUT his feet are inside the rope ?

The best examples of this are catches thrown back to teammates

In this one, if he had touched the rope (or anywhere past the boundary) with his feet while the ball was in his hands, it would have been a 6.

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

England women just got kind of thrashed in their T20 v Australia women, in Australia. Oh dear. Are the women's Ashes in Oz coming up soon?

Yes the ladies Ashes includes T20 and ODIs plus one Test match I think, they get given differing numbers of points for each win and total it up at the end to decide who takes the urn.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

According to Livescore England won by one run.

BBC too.

Yeah they did, but after being in control of the game, England nearly blew it when two of the Windies went runs barmy at the end the pair of them got rapid 40s from 90 odd for 8..

• Thanks 1

Didn’t realise England had the West Indies up next either but not bad watching at all from the neutral perspective of an Australian on her couch. Oddly I dated a born and bred Aussie grade cricketer over here for a while who was inexplicably a mad Windies fan, he had 0 connection to them and had never even visited, wasn’t even around for their glory years for that to be the reason. I find it weird enough when people support clubs and teams they have no stake in let alone countries…bizzare.

On topic though after taking no interest in the Big Bash League through the course of the Ashes series (T20 is cricket for when no actual cricket is on IMO) partly because my Adelaide Strikers were absolute garbage they have found form and won their last six games to be one game away from the grand final with Carey (much better at limited overs) and Head slotted back into the side…that’ll do nicely 👍

Although it would take an all mighty effort to beat Perth if we get through to that final.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

T20 is cricket for when no actual cricket is on IMO

Exactly!

The BBL hasn't been the same with some games no crowds, and Scorchers having to play anywhere but Perth and all the rest of it, but it's a nice diversion from winter, over here.

Love the Adelaide Oval, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After the ashes I don’t think many people would have thought Langer would be gone so shortly after as coach (he technically quit but the short term contract offer was basically a jump before we push you kind of thing) must be a pretty dodgy team environment from the sounds of it
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/05/justin-langer-resigns-as-australia-cricket-coach-following-ca-board-meeting

Justin Langer has ended six months of speculation over his role with the Australian men’s cricket team by resigning as head coach, as former Test captain Ricky Ponting labelled the treatment of his ex-teammate “embarrassing”.

Uncertainty, which has swirled around Langer’s future since last August, remained following a lengthy Cricket Australia board meeting on Friday at which his role was the subject of “significant discussions”. After the seven-hour meeting the CA board failed to reach a resolution 

Edited by Eidolon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eidolon said:

After the ashes I don’t think many people would have though it would be Langer to be binned first out of the two head coaches (he technically quit but the short term contract offer was basically a jump before we push you kind of thing) must be a pretty dodgy team environment from the sounds of it
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/05/justin-langer-resigns-as-australia-cricket-coach-following-ca-board-meeting

Would you have him as England Coach then ?  Giles and Silverwood now gone.

Â