Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No rain and the onset of a classic England collapse underway methinks.

Yes. And on top of that I can see Stokes being forced into retired hurt soon if the pain becomes too much. And I guess that will be effectively losing a wicket, we'll go from 3 wickets down to effectively 4 down. Oh dear.

Edited by robby b

27 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Minor point that everybody on field and commentary seems to have missed but the Buttler dismissal is really bugging me! If the 3rd umpire deems that the ball hits his toe on his front foot, why is Hawkeye picking up the tracking when it hits his back leg?

Yeah. Didn’t look out, front leg then back leg. I only saw it on a cricket app on my iPad with Aussie comms, but he looks to have been sawn off.

No whitewash for you this time Australia! Ha!

That felt good to see the England team really focusing and showing fight more than in the first three matches. Finally !

Now, if we can avoid defeat in Hobart as well then that will be a little progress (a better series result than the previous two in Australia). And if we actually manage to win it that will be breaking a big hoodoo at long last... I think it's now 14 test matches in Oz in a row that we haven't won one ! 😑

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

Aussies never needed that amount of runs, they’ll be kicking themselves they didn’t declare sooner, I wonder if a more experienced captain might have acted differently but hey ho, we didn’t lose which is some crumb of comfort to take from a dismal tour.

• Like 1

Got to love test cricket. How do you begin to explain to someone new to the game the tension after 5 days of play, with our best bowler batting but not trying to score any runs, and their best batter (who isn’t very good at bowling) trying to bowl him out?

• Like 2

I watched the Perth Scorchers today ( in the Big Bash League ) and both teams had something called a power play ( lasted a few overs ) I enjoyed the cricket but can anyone tell me what this Power play is all about ?

41 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I watched the Perth Scorchers today ( in the Big Bash League ) and both teams had something called a power play ( lasted a few overs ) I enjoyed the cricket but can anyone tell me what this Power play is all about ?

It's where the number of fielders allowed outside the ring (i.e. protecting the boundary) is limited to 2 - it gives the batting side more chance of hitting boundaries during the power plays.

It's something that's been around in 50 over cricket (ODIs etc.) for yonks. Not sure T20 really needs it, but there you go.

• Thanks 1

Very well played from England to grind out the draw and well deserved. Absolutely dreadful decision for us to bat so long in the first innings but hey-ho, young captain who will learn from it. The conventional wisdom is you always want a result but it’s hard to argue that ending wasn’t more exciting than pretty much the entire rest of the series from a neutral perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Very well played from England to grind out the draw and well deserved. Absolutely dreadful decision for us to bat so long in the first innings but hey-ho, young captain who will learn from it. The conventional wisdom is you always want a result but it’s hard to argue that ending wasn’t more exciting than pretty much the entire rest of the series from a neutral perspective.

I don't think it was a dreadful decision to bat so long in the first innings, I guess it was just in case the England batters finally turned up, you never know. And actually Stokes, Bairstow and Wood did and we very nearly got 300. Imagine if Cummins had declared on 300, the game would have been in the balance and winnable for England.

7 minutes ago, robby b said:

I don't think it was a dreadful decision to bat so long in the first innings, I guess it was just in case the England batters finally turned up, you never know. And actually Stokes, Bairstow and Wood did and we very nearly got 300. Imagine if Cummins had declared on 300, the game would have been in the balance and winnable for England.

Sorry, wasn’t trying to make it seem like that was the sole factor in the game and you are right they did get closer than was comfortable in the end which is a credit to the England bats but on the evidence of the previous tests and knowing the forecast I think you try to give yourself the best possible chance to bowl a struggling batting line up out early. Might have been a different result if the quicks could have bowled out too but it’s all academic now. Well played England and on to hopefully the best game of the series in Hobart 😁

Â