Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

One of the pundits on BT claimed Root had a great year last Season and was 'the best batsman in the World. Now although I am fairly patriotic this is simply jingoism; unless he hasn't heard of Smith, Warner, Azam, Kohli, Rizwan et al. Whilst he has his moments , I believe he lacks theΒ  consistency of, say, Ian Bell or Jonathon Trott. Just two random examplesΒ  =, of course :)Β 

2 hours ago, veloman said:

One of the pundits on BT claimed Root had a great year last Season and was 'the best batsman in the World. Now although I am fairly patriotic this is simply jingoism; unless he hasn't heard of Smith, Warner, Azam, Kohli, Rizwan et al. Whilst he has his moments , I believe he lacks theΒ  consistency of, say, Ian Bell or Jonathon Trott. Just two random examplesΒ  =, of course :)Β 

Root got to number 1 batsman in the world last year based on scoring the 3rd most runs in a calendar year ever.Β  He also averages more than Trott and Bell in a much shitter team over twice as many matches as Trott and nearly as many as Bell.Β  If anything Bell was very inconsistent hence he only averaged 42, mostly with runs scored down the order.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I despise Bairstow ("fat I think I'm better than I am"), but he's made a couple of centuries now (one is Oz) that have given me a bit more respect.

Keep it up please.

He’s had a ridiculously good career for England despite being moved around the order all over the place, being dropped numerous times and having the gloves taken off him and given back repeatedly.

That innings today has saved a test match that was only going one way without his contribution. He’s a player that I’ve never really understood the dislike for and is massively underrated for me.

• Like 2

Also Bairstow completely deserved to be dropped when he was, went on a really long run of crap scores and getting out in the same fashion all the time. That time away being pretty great at the one day format was good for him. If we've got the old JB back, from around 2016 when he was absurdly good, then I'll be delighted

When was the last time we were 217/1?!

Dead pitch but you’ve still got to score the runs so well done to Crawley for tucking in. Shame about the rain tonight which I think has put the bed the (albeit remote) chance we had of setting a total with time to take all ten wickets.Β 
Β 

Question is who plays the next game? You’d imagine the top 8 and Leach will be the same. Mahmood in for the injured Wood and then it’s a question of whether Robinson is fit enough to come in for Overton, Overton keeps his place or do they gamble on Fisher.

Lees - 18 off 104 balls!

Imagine him and Sibley opening the batting together! 49-0 at stumps on day 1, having chosen to bat.
England could finish a days play without losing a wicket, and could still be deemed to have 'lost' every session.

• Like 1

England are batting really well, proper test match batting and a really good effort (it might be the pitch and the bowling, but I'll take it).

I've just caught myself thinking 'not the most interesting this is it?' and now feel deeply ashamed in how I've become conditioned to England's three day test approach.Β πŸ™ƒ

yeah, in the context of the innings now, credit to Lees for tiring the bowlers out a bit. Can take some credit for the success of Lawrence and Root yesterday for helping to set it up. Perfect day so far really.Β 

Tea on day 3 and so far 12 wickets have fallen in this test.Β 

I have a feeling that we can't quite assume that England's batting renaissance is complete on the basis of our first innings - this pitch might not have much in the way of life in it.

Β 

Γ—
Γ—
Γ‚