Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I think a more confident England might have declared a little earlier in both matches, whether that would have affected either result we’ll never know. Brathwaite has broken the record for most balls faced in a test match (unsure if across the board or just for the Windies), he’s been incredibly solid, proper test match batting.

• Like 1

Blimey ! Paul Stirling signed for Warks !! Don't see him scampering 'round the boundary but can certainly put bat to ball. Described by Mike Haysman in the PSL as 'fielding at one and half slips' !! Thought that was brilliant.

I see that predictably Paul Collingwood has put his hat in the ring for a more permanent role with the test team, having claimed the team is already in a "better, stronger place" under his interim leadership. I haven't noticed any marked improvement myself and I think we need to cast the net further, and bring in a new broom to shake things up. Justin Langer would be my first choice.  

41 minutes ago, John said:

Justin Langer would be my first choice.

Having seen that doco on Amazon of the Aussie team, I'm very unsure his personality is the right type for the England test side. Also, I really like Colly as a person and cricketer. I'd prefer him over JL, but what do I know?

58 minutes ago, John said:

I see that predictably Paul Collingwood has put his hat in the ring for a more permanent role with the test team, having claimed the team is already in a "better, stronger place" under his interim leadership. I haven't noticed any marked improvement myself and I think we need to cast the net further, and bring in a new broom to shake things up. Justin Langer would be my first choice.  

I guess batsmen other than Root getting runs is a positive, though playing against the Windies on these roads is hardly comparable to what England faced in the last year or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I guess batsmen other than Root getting runs is a positive, though playing against the Windies on these roads is hardly comparable to what England faced in the last year or so.

Boycott's Auntie Annie could have got runs in the last test! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone else think they could have dealt with the Jason Roy fine in house rather than prompting inevitable speculation? Particularly as his two match suspension is suspended.

Jason Roy has been hit with a suspended two-match ban from international cricket and a £2,500 fine, the reasons for which are being kept out of the public domain by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Announcing the sanction on Tuesday, the ECB statement said the limited‑overs opener had accepted a charge of bringing the game into disrepute handed down by its Cricket Discipline Commission, with the suspended element of his ban “dependent on good behaviour” over the next 12 months.

More on link

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blandy said:

Having seen that doco on Amazon of the Aussie team, I'm very unsure his personality is the right type for the England test side. Also, I really like Colly as a person and cricketer. I'd prefer him over JL, but what do I know?

Having seen it on Amazon too, I think our players would agree 100% that he isn't the right type for them and that's why I would pick him, they are a bit too comfortable for my liking, given their recent test performances. I like Colly too, but I don't think it's a time to promote from within and not on the back of say a drawn series in the West Indies, but what do I know too? ;) 

England's most consistent batsman continuing to score runs in the chaos - whenever we lose a third wicket for less than 50 we should bring Woakes in at five, to take some of the pressure off until the actual batsmen have to come in.

• Like 2

BT sticking with Matt Smith, who proved he doesn’t know much about cricket in 2017/18, was a bad decision. Bringing in Gower to front their coverage on the ground was another backward step. Re-hiring Vaughan is inexcusable.

The first time since 1885 the numbers 10 and 11 had the highest scores in an innings apparently.  Impressive yet still highlights what a shambles we are.  Hopefully Woakes will find the pitch to his liking today and pick up a few wickets early on.

• Thanks 1

sadly, he's been poor so far, barely making a west indian play any shot so far. Early days, but can't afford to waste the new ball here. Needs to be on it properly. I'd get Mahmoud on quick if he has another duff over

Â