Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Would you have him as England Coach then ?  Giles and Silverwood now gone.

I hadn’t realised they had been sacked at this point, edited my post accordingly. Honestly I think it could go either way, he could add a steel the English bats in particular are missing but I think he has a very abrasive, no nonsense style that might not translate very well outside of Australia…clearly he even put some of our players out of joint so I don’t think he’d gel well in the English system. Who really knows though.

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

he has a very abrasive, no nonsense style that might not translate very well outside of Australia…clearly he even put some of our players out of joint so I don’t think he’d gel well in the English system

This. I saw that Amazon doco series on the Aussie team, and he didn't come across as the right kind of character for the England team. Trevor Bayliss, with his more laid back style was pretty good for England, but Langer would not be a good pick, IMO.

The problems with the England team are many, but I don't put whoever is/was the head coach anywhere near the top of the list.

• Like 1

I guess they feel that they have to wipe the slate clean and start building a team for the future, which neither Broad or Anderson can realistically be a part of.

That said, they’re still our two best bowlers, so in terms of going out there to win it’s questionable.

I would have thought that Anderson' and Broad's combined weight of wickets, would have earned them the right to retire (potentially at the end of this summer's test matches) at a time of their own choosing and with dignity. To drop them now, when their performance levels were not below that of those alongside them during the last Ashes series and with a new England management team yet to be decided upon, smacks of another poor decision by the selectors. I doubt it will be long before we are regretting not having these two available to pick in a test match in the West Indies. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I loved watching Warney bowl. The combination of massive rip and precision control hasn't really been seen before or since in leg spin... arguably the greatest bowler of all time.

Weirdly watched his doc just the other day - well worth a watch. A real shock. He didn't have the healthiest lifestyle, but you never thought something like this would happen so young.

• Like 1

Heart attacks really can strike from nowhere 😔 Warney was a BIG part of the reason I started following cricket. Gutted by this one 

Edited by Eidolon
  • Sad 1

Â