Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Can safely say Woakes doesn't get picked for another overseas tour again. Had an utterly woeful day today.  Magnificent in home conditions, but offering diddly squat elsewhere ( though solid with the bat )

Claiming this assist for that Woakes wicket :D

Poised interestingly at the rain break, if England can take the final four wickets and restrict them to 290 or less then there’s half a sniff of a chance, of course you’re then looking for England to score 400-500 or so in their innings which you’d think would be really unlikely on current form.

Or of course, Starc et al can continue their run of scoring and take the final amount up to and around 350 or beyond.

A week or so ago, with Australia 123-3 after day 1 the BBC said it was England's day and we'd played very well. Apparently 241-6 and it's our worst bowling day of the series.

They're a peculiar bunch on TMS.

If we can bowl them out for around 300, we could make a test match of this.

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A week or so ago, with Australia 123-3 after day 1 the BBC said it was England's day and we'd played very well. Apparently 241-6 and it's our worst bowling day of the series.

I didn’t see much of the game itself so can’t really comment but you can bowl really well and not take a wicket and also bowl really badly and skittle a team (in theory at least).

Wood’s figures suggest he was hit all over the ground and both Green and Head were scoring at close to a run-a-ball.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I didn’t see much of the game itself so can’t really comment but you can bowl really well and not take a wicket and also bowl really badly and skittle a team (in theory at least).

Wood’s figures suggest he was hit all over the ground and both Green and Head were scoring at close to a run-a-ball.

Fair enough, but at the end of the day, sometimes it looks scruffy and comes up good and sometimes it looks good and comes up short - objectively 241-6 is a good day for England in this series.

South Africa vs India has taken a rather dark turn - with accusations from the Indians that South African broadcaster Supersport is deliberately doctoring the hawkeye images by the sound of things.

Kohli has made a knob of himself again by screaming into the stump mic after an LBW decision went against his team with calls for him to be fined and/or banned - that's not like him eh?

Rahul has said "It's a whole country against eleven guys" and Ashwin has said "You should find better ways to win Supersport."

They don't like it up em.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Isn't that to do with the conditions though. The last test the pitch gave the bowlers absolutely nothing, this test the conditions appear to be much more favourable for bowlers

There's also a considerable difference between 123 and 241 in a day.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's also a considerable difference between 123 and 241 in a day.

There was a lot more rain in the 123. It just seemed strange that they reported the 123-3 as our best day and the 241-6 as our worst, when in terms of scoring they'd seem to be at least close together. 

• Like 1

Of course, under normal circumstances, the proof of the pudding would be in the eating and if England are skittled for 150 then you'd have to say the boys at TMS are bang on.

The problem is that it's hard to know when England are skittled for 150 because of the conditions and when we're skittled for 150 because we're, well...awful with the bat.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thing is, though I get what you're saying, the ball was jagging around all over at the start, and they were 21-3 or whatever it was, then from that point on a mix of the Aussies chancing their arm a bit with the bat and the bowlers bowling too short or wide and the ball seeming to stop moving around the Aussies got off the hook.

To date it's been our batting that's been the real problem. I think we did let them off with the bowling so I can understand where the TMS people are coming from.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rodders said:

Can safely say Woakes doesn't get picked for another overseas tour again. Had an utterly woeful day today.  Magnificent in home conditions, but offering diddly squat elsewhere ( though solid with the bat )

The thing is they knew this about 6 tours ago but they will keep picking him anyway.  Hopefully he and the others can nip the last few out tomorrow but I fear the damage has been done.  

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing is they knew this about 6 tours ago but they will keep picking him anyway.  Hopefully he and the others can nip the last few out tomorrow but I fear the damage has been done.  

I was happy for him to go ( our alternative options are in short supply ) considering he's great in home conditions and barely played in India or Sri Lanka last year, so I was fine to see if he had developed, but the conditions just do not suit him. But equally, we have plenty of very similar bowlers, who in the CC is going to come through? Only so many times we can go shopping in south africa or the west indies for our players. We might actually have to grow our own players. 

Or get them to practice with the kookaburra balls in the county championship perhaps. Although only having CC games in April and September is going to do diddly squat.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not seen it so don’t know if it was unlucky but how the hell as an opening batsman do you get run out, Burns’ head must be entirely gone.

Tours of Australia are a career ended for so many English players.

It was Crawley who called him through for a needlessly tight single in fairness. Maybe a bit slow-footed but that was Crawley's **** up really

Â