General Chat

Stevo985

17 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I hope it convinces all who go to view it to refrain from committing further knife crimes.

Not much overlap between those who go to view art and those who commit knife crimes, I hear you say?   Cynic!!

Here in the US we don't need such a statue because we've found a solution to help suppress knife crime:   We arm everyone with guns.

It was in Worcester a few weeks back and the base of the statue is an area you can leave unwanted knives.

You’ll never get rid of every knife, obviously, but it might help someone somewhere one time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It was in Worcester a few weeks back and the base of the statue is an area you can leave unwanted knives.

You’ll never get rid of every knife, obviously, but it might help someone somewhere one time.

If it does it is a success. Some big **** off machete things in its structure, horrible  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

image.jpeg.d69a3ac31c53dc078dec23aef2bb83af.jpeg

Its like 10000 knives when all you need is a spoon. 

How ironic.

Or something like that. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Just bought a TV with a solar powered remote control.

I can see absolutely no downside to this.

Will report back in November.

My new TV came with a remote that doesn’t have any batteries, but you have to charge with a USB cable like your phone.  So annoying!

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why is stop and search not a good idea to stop knife crime?

Because after several years of implementation, it doesn't seem to work, and they've been completely incapable of implementing the ineffective policy in a way which isn't discriminatory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Because after several years of implementation, it doesn't seem to work, and they've been completely incapable of implementing the ineffective policy in a way which isn't discriminatory.

| guess it's hard to not be discriminatory when a bigger percentage of the people who carried knifes were black. it's attitudes towards the police too. Watched too many rap videos.

• Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If it convicts one person carrying a knife no matter what their ethnic back ground is it has worked.

But it needs to be implemented better thats the biggest issue for me

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

If it convicts one person carrying a knife no matter what their ethnic back ground is it has worked.

But it needs to be implemented better thats the biggest issue for me

It's gonna upset a few how ever you do it, a few on here. But I agree.

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

| guess it's hard to not be discriminatory when a bigger percentage of the people who carried knifes were black. it's attitudes towards the police too. Watched too many rap videos.

Do you have the stats to back this up?

More importantly, do you contest the argument that it was ineffective? If so, do you have the stats to back that up? You love rigorous debate so much, I'm sure you can back it up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

ONS

Unfortunately, we do not hold police recorded crime figures on robbery or offences involving a knife or sharp instrument, by ethnic group. 

On ‘attitudes towards the police’… black adults make up 3% of the population, yet account for 18% of the stop and searches (2020 data - Gov.uk) - no surprise that there is a mistrust of the police in this community.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If they stop tens of thousands of people with no reasonable suspicion, taking up the time of tens of thousands of innocent people, mostly based on prejudice, but stumble upon one weapon, you think it's justified?

Perhaps you'd feel slightly differently if you were being targeted, Can the police rummage through your possessions? Just in case mate. How about once a month or so? It's just, some people that look a bit like your type committed some crime, so you know, we think you're probably a wrong 'un as well.

If it stops one murder of course. That could be your loved one! (Touch wood)

If its trained and implemented properly with no discrimination then i have no issue with it. As i said in my previous post the problem is its not done correctly. 

Just now, chappy said:

ONS

On ‘attitudes towards the police’… black adults make up 3% of the population, yet account for 18% of the stop and searches (2020 data - Gov.uk) - no surprise that there is a mistrust of the police in this community.

Biggest issue right there why its causing problems

Â