General Chat

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Reckon this might make Facebook consider putting their platforms on separate servers or something. 

There’s someone in San Francisco feeling pretty smug about now for having that risk assessment suggestion rejected.

54 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Checked a ISP group on irc (I know, very nerdy) and found this. Dunno where the post was done originally but it was deleted :) Sounds like self inflicted

@ilne> >As many of you know, DNS for FB services has been affected and this is likely a symptom of the actual issue, and that's that BGP peering   
              with Facebook peering routers has gone down, very likely due to a configuration change that went into effect shortly before the outages     
              happened (started roughly 1540 UTC). There are people now trying to gain access to the peering routers to implement fixes, but the          
<@ilne> people with physical access is separate from the people with knowledge of how to actually authenticate to the systems and people who know    
              what to actually do, so there is now a logistical challenge with getting all that knowledge unified. Part of this is also due to lower       
              staffing in data centers due to pandemic measures.                                    

Sounds like someone pushed config changes to prod without testing them in a pre-prod environment. Whoopsie!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Checked a ISP group on irc (I know, very nerdy) and found this. Dunno where the post was done originally but it was deleted :) Sounds like self inflicted

@ilne> >As many of you know, DNS for FB services has been affected and this is likely a symptom of the actual issue, and that's that BGP peering   
              with Facebook peering routers has gone down, very likely due to a configuration change that went into effect shortly before the outages     
              happened (started roughly 1540 UTC). There are people now trying to gain access to the peering routers to implement fixes, but the          
<@ilne> people with physical access is separate from the people with knowledge of how to actually authenticate to the systems and people who know    
              what to actually do, so there is now a logistical challenge with getting all that knowledge unified. Part of this is also due to lower       
              staffing in data centers due to pandemic measures.                                    

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sounds like someone pushed config changes to prod without testing them in a pre-prod environment. Whoopsie!

Part of me hates that I actually understand way to much of these posts. 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Part of me hates that I actually understand way to much of these posts. 

The majority of me rejoices that this is double Dutch to me. 

6 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Tinfoil hat moment, but people are mentioning a big whistle blower from within FB did a 60mins interview last night. Possibly a link between the two, not sure. 

Doubtful. The insider info about DNS/BGP is very plausible.

I suspect someone is currently working their way through the datacentre doors with an axe if their internal security systems assume that their door badges will always be connected to the internet like they did at a company I once worked at:crylaugh:

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tegis said:

I love the fact that I haven't noticed.

Weird isn’t it … few years back I’d have known within seconds and probably been refreshing the app every 2 seconds 

First I knew of this outage was reading it in the news … must admit I did wonder why various WhatsApp conversations had suddenly stopped pinging but hadn’t actually bothered to check 

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Weird isn’t it … few years back I’d have known within seconds and probably been refreshing the app every 2 seconds 

First I knew of this outage was reading it in the news … must admit I did wonder why various WhatsApp conversations had suddenly stopped pinging but hadn’t actually bothered to check 

First I've heard of it is here.

I deactivated FB last week. Bored of reading the same old shite.

Haven't missed it.

• Like 1

Honestly wouldnt have known anything happened without all the people losing their minds about it after the fact. Not by any means a grumpy type who doesn't engage with social media, I think it just speaks to how tiny my social circle is that I didn't even notice 😂 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

How does Whatsapp pay for itself? Or is it just free because of being funded by facebook?

It used to be £1 (or $1) to download IIRC. And I think they use a subscription model in some countries.

Inevitably I think they're introducing ads soon. Probably with a "premium" option to remove ads

Â