General Chat

Stevo985

I'm on a job hiring committee at work and everyone pretty much agrees on everything (job description, type of applicant etc.) apart from one woman. She is argumentative, annoying, desperately wants to be the smartest person in the room and no-one can stand her.

We have meeting this afternoon which I was dreading anyway but at 6am she wrote an email to say that the search should be halted immediately as there wasn't enough gender diversity in the applicants. Her tone was so aggressive and confrontational. Emails have been flying back and forth and the meeting is starting in 20 minutes. I love my job for the most part but I find myself day dreaming about shouting her down and I hate this feeling.

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm on a job hiring committee at work and everyone pretty much agrees on everything (job description, type of applicant etc.) apart from one woman. She is argumentative, annoying, desperately wants to be the smartest person in the room and no-one can stand her.

We have meeting this afternoon which I was dreading anyway but at 6am she wrote an email to say that the search should be halted immediately as there wasn't enough gender diversity in the applicants. Her tone was so aggressive and confrontational. Emails have been flying back and forth and the meeting is starting in 20 minutes. I love my job for the most part but I find myself day dreaming about shouting her down and I hate this feeling.

Tell her that she shouldn't assume anyone's gender based on their name or CV. By doing that she is being very narrow minded. Play them at their own game. 

• Like 3

We have a diversity department that produces a percentage of how many applicants are female, how many are of color etc.

Our female percentage is low, but it's a job in the jazz department for FFS. It's blokes in tweed jackets and hats. Lots of hats.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

More commentary please :mrgreen:

The heat has gone out of it. But it started off with her telling the chair how he should feel ashamed and him replying "Don't tell me how I should feel. Let's discuss this dispassionately." 

Her: "I am being dispassionate" - she shouted with veins popping out of her neck.

I'm staying out of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Oh boy - "Can we stop saying the word FEMALE. It's women!" Eyes bugging out of her head.

Does she realise they both suffer from containing the male form of the word so are equally as bad from that aspect

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Is she a jazz player herself or just a faculty member who knows what's best for everybody else?   I bet she's not a brass player!

She sounds like she likes to blown her own trumpet.

4 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Is she a jazz player herself or just a faculty member who knows what's best for everybody else?   I bet she's not a brass player!

Ethnomusicologist. She literally sits in a room reading books and writing papers. It's so obvious she's never interacts with real living humans.

Mix in some pretty scary mental health issues, and a huge amount of white liberal guilt and well I think you get the picture.

Do you need to rewrite the job spec/advert to be more appealing to women or would that be misogynistic by you trying to guess what would appeal to them? 

Genuinely curious how she wants this fixed? Or is she just making noise for noise sake? 

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ethnomusicologist. She literally sits in a room reading books and writing papers. It's so obvious she's never interacts with real living humans.

Mix in some pretty scary mental health issues, and a huge amount of white liberal guilt and well I think you get the picture.

Reading more of them since the start of covid has really brought home how **** tiresome lots of white American liberals are to be honest.

• Like 3

Â