General Chat

Stevo985

My deepest condolences @Rob182

Cancer took my dad at 67. The first few months are really rough but it does get better even though things are never the same.

Sending you and your family positive thoughts from across the pond.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2020 at 18:45, Rob182 said:

The stupid thing was that he was otherwise really healthy (for a recently retired builder that enjoyed his food!)

Literally 3 months ago he built a summerhouse in his and my moms garden, and then went on to change the porch from wood to PVC amongst numerous other little jobs around the house, all inbetween chemo sessions.

My advice to everyone is keep an eye and ear out for any ailments you or your family have that could be something worse. Last June my dad had difficulty swallowing food and the idiot doctor said it’s just an infection. Two months later he had stage 4 oesophageal cancer confirmed. If only one of us had suggested it could be something worse, it could have all turned out different.

Really sorry to hear about your loss. Sad news

• Thanks 1

On 02/09/2020 at 18:45, Rob182 said:

The stupid thing was that he was otherwise really healthy (for a recently retired builder that enjoyed his food!)

Literally 3 months ago he built a summerhouse in his and my moms garden, and then went on to change the porch from wood to PVC amongst numerous other little jobs around the house, all inbetween chemo sessions.

My advice to everyone is keep an eye and ear out for any ailments you or your family have that could be something worse. Last June my dad had difficulty swallowing food and the idiot doctor said it’s just an infection. Two months later he had stage 4 oesophageal cancer confirmed. If only one of us had suggested it could be something worse, it could have all turned out different.

Really sorry to hear that. My Mum had what she thought was bad sciatica in her leg and had physio and over treatments for months before they finally worked out it was her beast cancer had come back and spread to her bones.  It's part of why cancer is such a word removed, the doctor can think it's something else based on the symptoms, then it's too late when they find out.  There's nothing sadder the few months either side of your loved ones passing but we are built to be resilient and it gets easier with time. Hope you're OK. 

• Thanks 1

19 years since 9/11 in the States. 

Still the most jaw dropping thing I have ever seen. I was transfixed to the TV when I got home from work that day. Don't think I will ever see the photos/videos and not be shocked by it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Still the most jaw dropping thing I have ever seen. I was transfixed to the TV when I got home from work that day. Don't think I will ever see the photos/videos and not be shocked by it. 

I remember watching it at work (18) on a TV in the boardroom. I remember as it unfolded they initially thought it was an accident. Then the second place crashed and the realisation it was no accident, and then others in the air. Absolutely surreal time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I remember watching it at work (18) on a TV in the boardroom. I remember as it unfolded they initially thought it was an accident. Then the second place crashed and the realisation it was no accident, and then others in the air. Absolutely surreal time.

I was working down at Fort Dunlop that week and someone in the office shouted over that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. There was no TV or internet enabled computers in the office at that point so someone went out and got a radio from elsewhere and plugged it in! Few people were trying to get the news on their phones... very early days of WAP back then. 

I sat in my car at lunchtime listening to Radio 1, which I think was just rolling news. Until I saw it on TV when I got home, I just couldn't comprehend it. 

On 11/09/2020 at 23:01, Xela said:

I was working down at Fort Dunlop that week and someone in the office shouted over that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. There was no TV or internet enabled computers in the office at that point so someone went out and got a radio from elsewhere and plugged it in! Few people were trying to get the news on their phones... very early days of WAP back then. 

I sat in my car at lunchtime listening to Radio 1, which I think was just rolling news. Until I saw it on TV when I got home, I just couldn't comprehend it. 

I was still at school back then. Bizarre in the days before the internet (I didn't even have a phone then) that we had no idea what had happened until we got home. There was a rumour in school about a plane crashing into a building in america but that was it. Couldn't believe it when I got home and saw the news

On 11/09/2020 at 22:42, Xela said:

I was on a course in Hull. In the lunch break a rumour went round that there had been some sort of incident in NY. So I went out to phone the missus who was at home as one of the kids was off sick. She was watching it live on TV, and told me a plane had flown into one of the towers. While I was still trying to get my head round that - surely I had misheard? - I heard her say "**** ING HELL!" She'd just watched the second one hit. Utterly surreal. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I get goosebumps every time I see the footage of the second collision and it sinking in to people that it was no accident. We had no idea how much that'd change the world.

The people choosing to jump from the towers rather than being burned alive is the thing that always gets me. Plus the sound of them hitting the floor, which can be heard in other videos. 

The world changed that day. 

Was walking home from school when my brother called me on my mobile (a novelty at the time).  Just said, there's been a terrorist attack in NYC and two planes have hit the WTC.  I ran all the way back and watched all of the aftermath on the rolling news channel.  I was 14 at the time and it was massive.

A year later, Mrs Pearson who taught DT didn't let her class have 2 mins silence, claiming "it's not a problem for the UK".  I wasn't in her class, but what a tnuc.

• Like 1

I walked in from school to find my nan watching the news on the TV. She just looked at me and said there's been a plane crash.

The next day at school a plane went over before registration and everyone around the yard and drive screamed like mad. Which if nothing else proves kids can be words removed.

It kinda defined my interests from there though. As everyone here knows no doubt.

Â