General Chat

Stevo985

On 07/08/2020 at 13:45, HanoiVillan said:

First thing in ages that has restored a little faith in the British public tbh

Ee0A_WzXoAAHWGO?format=png&name=4096x409

Latest YouGov food polling significantly less reassuring IMO:

EgQf4KzWoAAct2I?format=jpg&name=large

How the **** have bow ties finished equal last there? They're the best IMO, and definitely top 3. I don't get spaghetti; why do people like a pasta shape that is hard to get onto a fork and usually leads to smearing tomato sauce all over the face?

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Action man bow ties and tagliatelle are the staples in my house.

Definitely prefer tagliatelle to spaghetti, but generally only have it with one meal (veal medallions). Otherwise don't think to use it.

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

How the **** have bow ties finished equal last there? They're the best IMO, and definitely top 3. I don't get spaghetti; why do people like a pasta shape that is hard to get onto a fork and usually leads to smearing tomato sauce all over the face?

probably because of people like my mom who thinks that spaghetti Bolognese and spaghetti carbonara could in no way shape or form be made with spaghetti

german pasta is the one! spätzle is better than anything the Italians are producing

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

probably because of people like my mom who thinks that spaghetti Bolognese and spaghetti carbonara could in no way shape or form be made with spaghetti

german pasta is the one! spätzle is better than anything the Italians are producing

It sounds like a German word (I imagine) that would describe the discharge a male would produce at the end of intercourse or maybe more so its female equivalent  

Edited by Follyfoot

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Bolognese (Ragu alla Bologna) is traditionally made with fresh tagliatelle as it is better at picking up the chunkier meat sauce. 

Cabonara is normally spaghetti though. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone know what the etiquette is when someone's shed roof lands in your garden?

Finders keepers. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I do like spätzle but come on, the German kitchen is absolutely appalling! I would go as far as to say it's the worst in Europe :D

I remember being really jet-lagged after a flight to Milan from New York via Brussels then having to drive to Lake Como. After a marathon journey upon arrival I was eventually I was presented with a lasagna of your dreams and after the first mouthful I actually started crying. I went into the kitchen to hug the lady that had made it. The rest of my time there only got better food wise.

Italian food is sent from heaven, the Germans just treat it like fuel.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I do like spätzle but come on, the German kitchen is absolutely appalling! I would go as far as to say it's the worst in Europe :D

I remember being really jet-lagged after a flight to Milan from New York via Brussels then having to drive to Lake Como. After a marathon journey upon arrival I was eventually I was presented with a lasagna of your dreams and after the first mouthful I actually started crying. I went into the kitchen to hug the lady that had made it. The rest of my time there only got better food wise.

Italian food is sent from heaven, the Germans just treat it like fuel.

I've never been to Germany, so it's hard to compare, but I do rather like the idea of lots of beer, bread, sausages and cheese. On the other hand, the most mind-blowing meals I've had have been in Italy and France, so you may well be right. 

• Like 1

I spent a fair bit of my yoof in Germany. Quite a few summers where the full 6 weeks of school hols were all spent in Germany, going on grand camping tours, using RAF bases as, er, bases.

My memory of the food out on the road away from relatives in the RAF, I’d say it was pretty basic. It was mostly sausage and chips, versions of pork and chips, chips with mayo on them, various versions of meat stew. This could be down to me being the nominated translator and the ‘food words’ I knew would have been fairly basic, plus as a teenager I’d have probably steered them away from anything containing vegetables.

We once dipped our toe in to Italy, by about 100 yards, had a pizza, didn’t rate it.

This probably says far more about my parents willingness to throw themselves in to another culture, than what was truly on offer in Germany.

I remember we all went to De Efteling in the Netherlands - and we tried their chips too. People super chuffed ketchup was available.

Â