General Chat

Stevo985

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Well lads, in the hospital now. Baby Authority is on the way!!!

Mrs. A doing well - I’m a bag of nerves!!

I have a mental picture of you lovingly following her down the hospital corridor...

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Well lads, in the hospital now. Baby Authority is on the way!!!

Mrs. A doing well - I’m a bag of nerves!!

Just wait until they hand you the baby, push you out the door and say, "Bye.  He/She's your responsibility now."   I remember thinking, "But wait, you don't understand.   We're not qualified."

Congratulations and good luck!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, djdabush said:

My father in law passed away suddenly this evening. My grandparents died either before I was born or when I was young so haven't had a bereavement in the family since I was a kid. I was actually at their house earlier picking up my son and my mother in law was saying he'd been ill and she'd sent him to bed. Apparently, when she went up later he was lying there, unresponsive.

I feel awful for my mother in law, for my son who used to love seeing him but will be too young to remember him and particularly for my wife who didn't have a proper opportunity to say goodbye as it was so out of the blue.

Not sure if it's this is the best place to post this but I know I need to be supportive of my wife but deep down its really shaken me too.

Be as strong as you can be for your family, but don't be afraid to embrace weakness when you need to.  There's no point keeping up appearances - you'll feel how you feel.

Sorry for your loss.  Know we're all here for you.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I’m completely unqualified!!

My only resource is VT!!

Good luck, in my experience its best to get babies on the ciggies by 2 months and drinking gin* mixed with milk at 4 months. No point in wasting 14 years of their life missing out on the good things

*beer is acceptable from birth

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, djdabush said:

My father in law passed away suddenly this evening. My grandparents died either before I was born or when I was young so haven't had a bereavement in the family since I was a kid. I was actually at their house earlier picking up my son and my mother in law was saying he'd been ill and she'd sent him to bed. Apparently, when she went up later he was lying there, unresponsive.

I feel awful for my mother in law, for my son who used to love seeing him but will be too young to remember him and particularly for my wife who didn't have a proper opportunity to say goodbye as it was so out of the blue.

Not sure if it's this is the best place to post this but I know I need to be supportive of my wife but deep down its really shaken me too.

We had a very similar experience. Of mine and my wife's parents, I would have backed her dad to be the longest-lived - he was the only one with no obvious health issues, seemed fit as a fiddle. In fact he was the first to go - died suddenly of a heart attack at 71. We were all devastated. He was a really nice bloke. 

Nothing you can do but support your family as best you can. Hang in there. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry for your loss @djdabush.

My mate's father-in-law died unexpectedly a couple of years ago aged 49.

After weeks of friends and family (myself included) asking him how his wife was and sending her love and support, my mate said to me "I know this sounds selfish, but I feel like nobody realises how devastated I am. I feel like I've lost a parent".

I felt awful. He was obviously really close to his father-in-law, but I didn't think for a second about how my mate was feeling.

• Like 1

I realise I might have found a blindspot here and I'm about to make myself look thich, but I'm stuck.

I need to make a pre-payment to a restaurant in Barcelona I'm going to in a few weeks. It's for 13 people so it's quite a lot of money so I don't want to **** this up.

They've given me their bank details but I don't really know what to do with them :)

They look like this (I've replaced some of the numbers with X in case I shouldn't be sharing these things):

Cuenta:         ES04 0081 7XXX 6000 XXXX 4738 / BSAB ESBB 

Cuenta Expansion Negocios Plus

Titular:           BASSIFONDI, SL

What do I do with these? :D 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I realise I might have found a blindspot here and I'm about to make myself look thich, but I'm stuck.

I need to make a pre-payment to a restaurant in Barcelona I'm going to in a few weeks. It's for 13 people so it's quite a lot of money so I don't want to **** this up.

They've given me their bank details but I don't really know what to do with them :)

They look like this (I've replaced some of the numbers with X in case I shouldn't be sharing these things):

Have a cheeky Nandos instead? ;) 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Are they the IBAN (ES04...) and SWIFT (BSAB ESBB) codes that you need to make international payments?

I haven't done it but I guess you use those in place of sort code and bank account number that you'd use to make a payment to someone domestically.

Log on to your bank and follow their instructions for international payments or check with live chat when you're on there.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I guess you do internet banking, you'll be able to do money transfer? 

If you do in branch banking, walk in and get them to sort it out!

Send a nominal amount, contact them and get them to confirm they've received it. Then all the details are there for the proper payment.

Unless I've misunderstood the question, in which case, dunno.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Are they the IBAN (ES04...) and SWIFT (BSAB ESBB) codes that you need to make international payments?

I haven't done it but I guess you use those in place of sort code and bank account number that you'd use to make a payment to someone domestically.

Log on to your bank and follow their instructions for international payments or check with live chat when you're on there.

Correct.

The IBAN and BIC/SWIFT are made up of the normal account number and sort code but with added letters and numbers to identify the bank and location etc.

A UK bank account might have a SWIFT code that starts with LOYDGB21XXXXXX - so Lloyds, GB, then it gets into the location sort code etc.

If you arrange an international payment either in branch or online these will be the details you'll need.

The downside will be that you'll likely be charged at least £15 for the transfer AND get a shitty exchange rate.

• Like 1

Â