General Chat

Stevo985

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea, I'd say he's failed at life tbh :lol:

It amazes me how some people don't have any ambitions, or drive to make themselves more comfortable.

I was trying to be nicer about Rigo's mate. 😀

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Me, my wife and another couple are having a day and evening in Birmingham on March the 9th. I know Birmingham, but also realise I don't. The itinerary has been placed in my hands. Any suggestions for stuff to do in the day and we are considering Sunflower Lounge for the night as all of the others revel in shit 90s nostalgia. Any other places where they can dance to either 90s shit dance music or 90s mainstream indie? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Me, my wife and another couple are having a day and evening in Birmingham on March the 9th. I know Birmingham, but also realise I don't. The itinerary has been placed in my hands. Any suggestions for stuff to do in the day and we are considering Sunflower Lounge for the night as all of the others revel in shit 90s nostalgia. Any other places where they can dance to either 90s shit dance music or 90s mainstream indie? 

What sort of thing are you after? A quick look around suggests that the back to back houses in the Chinese quarter have got very good reviews. Haven’t been but looks like a kind of mini Black Country museum. Vintage sweet shop next to it as well.

Sea life, Museum & art gallery, a canal tour? A tour of Villa Park? Possibly not being serious with that last one.

As for 90’s music, I suppose the obligatory mention of Snobs has to be made. I think I’d rather go to the new Snobs than the sunflower lounge, but it’s been years since I’ve been to either. There are more rooms at snobs so more choice. 

If you wanted live music you might get lucky with the Jam House, there might be some decent live music on if the idea is just to have a bit of a dance. Looks like the night you’re out they’ll have a pop funk soul band on.

It would be handy for me being by the Jewellery Quarter which is where I generally choose to go out for the evening in Birmingham these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Depends what you're after. Be At One is a cocktail bar/club near New Street Station. Probably won't be any indie but they play a pretty wide range of music which often includes a lot of 90's and noughties cheese/dance.

Don't think they charge to go in so you could maybe try it for a drink and then scarper if it's not your thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

if you are just eating / drinking then head towards colmore row, old joint stock, lost and found, cosy club, alchemist, botanist, sun on the hill etc

if you are eating and looking round see what is on at the custard factory (probably not a lot) and go to the digbeth dining club and then walk up through the chinese quarter to the sunflower lounge

if you want something more upmarket then drink in rose villa tavern, button factory, walk round to the lord clifdn, see what is on at the jam house, can eat good pizza at the church

if you dont want to drink........🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if you are just eating / drinking then head towards colmore row, old joint stock, lost and found, cosy club, alchemist, botanist, sun on the hill etc

if you are eating and looking round see what is on at the custard factory (probably not a lot) and go to the digbeth dining club and then walk up through the chinese quarter to the sunflower lounge

if you want something more upmarket then drink in rose villa tavern, button factory, walk round to the lord clifdn, see what is on at the jam house, can eat good pizza at the church

if you dont want to drink........🤷‍♂️

Definitely recommend Digbeth Dining Club if you want some food but don't mind not eating at a restaurant. It's a great little place. If your friends are from out of town it's a cool thing to show them.

Obviously if you want a sit down meal then it's not the right place!

Also echo v4e's shouts for the Jewellery Quarter for drinks, but you're unlikely to find much Indie or 90's music there. Actress and Bishop would probably be your best bet for that sort of music. Would definitely be more indie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

:lol: I get a bit of that with Dublin.  "Hey we're coming to Dublin clubbing and we're wondering if you could recommend anywhere". Well, assuming you're arriving between the years of 1997 and 2000 ...

Copper Face Jack’s then?

• Haha 2

Digbeth dining club is a good idea, they dont want fancy sit down food, mainly drinking at night but if either of them can drunkenly sing along to oasis or the levellers then they are happy. Daytime I hadnt thought of jewelry quarter, that might be good. Thanks all. Really solid recommendations.  

19 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

One of the greatest moments of my life happened about 10 minutes ago.

At my work (Worcester Hospital), I work for a service provider who do estates/facilities management.  The Trust asked us to clean some air vents in one of the buildings, so that job was given to one of our mechanical engineer apprentices, called Charlie.  

On Friday, Charlie came through our office, with the kit to clean the air vents, which looks like a Ghostbusters backpack with a vacuum pipe and brush on the end.. It looks like a Ghostbusters kit, it's just red.  When he came through the office, I said "Who ordered a Ghostbuster?" which is obviously hilarious because we work next to the morgue.  We had a bit of a joke and life went on.

The same Friday, one of the women in my office has a sister-in-law dying of cancer in Worcester Hospital, so she's been going to see her on breaks, and her brother, who is married to the poor lady.  She told us upon her return that the lady was being taken to a hospice over the road from the hospital, because she was determined not to die in hospital, how weak she was and how much of a horrible time the family has been going through, especially her brother and his 11 year old, due to lose her 42 year old mom.  All really depressing really, and the woman I work with has been understandably emotional about it. 

I came into work today, having thought about it periodically over the weekend, kind of hoping it was all over for the families sake (the dying lady said she was ready to go last week).  When I asked, the lady was still alive, and happy about being out of hospital, but was in and out of consciousness.  The woman in my office left around lunchtime for reasons unknown to me, but I obviously suspected it was due to her sister in law. 

At 3pm, the office manager gets a call from the woman and her sister-in-law has died 10 minutes previous.  The woman was audibly sobbing down the phone, telling the office manager that her dying words were to her husband, saying "I love you", before finally passing away.

As the office manager was telling us that the woman from the office was in a bad way and how sad it all was, Charlie - burst through the door, shouting "DID SOMEBODY ORDER A GHOSTBUSTER!?!" - fully kitted out and embracing the Ghostbuster jibe I leveled at him 3 days before. :crylaugh:

Honestly, I nearly died trying not to piss myself laughing.  I was genuinely sad for my colleagues loss, and it rang a very strange parallel with a close family member of my own, but having that news and then Charlie come in and say that, without the knowledge of what had happened or what was going on.. oh my god, it was perfect.  

When I told him, his face was an absolute picture. 

I can't emphasise enough how perfect it was :lol: :lol:  

We live for moments like this.  They don't come along often.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

We live for moments like this.  They don't come along often.

It was like being in a Graham Linehan episode to be honest.  The more I think of two completely different scenarios, themes etc combining to make one big punchline is.. cosmic.   

The 3 days it took to come to fruition was even better :lol:  

Charlie came through with his Ghostbusters stuff on again today, I'm trying to get a photo - albeit he's not in his boiler suit :(  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It was like being in a Graham Linehan episode to be honest.  The more I think of two completely different scenarios, themes etc combining to make one big punchline is.. cosmic.   

The 3 days it took to come to fruition was even better :lol:  

Charlie came through with his Ghostbusters stuff on again today, I'm trying to get a photo - albeit he's not in his boiler suit :(  

I was going to say it sounded like something from the IT Crowd, a bit like when Roy loses his shirt 

On 21/01/2019 at 16:17, lapal_fan said:

As the office manager was telling us that the woman from the office was in a bad way and how sad it all was, Charlie - burst through the door, shouting "DID SOMEBODY ORDER A GHOSTBUSTER!?!" - fully kitted out and embracing the Ghostbuster jibe I leveled at him 3 days before. :crylaugh:

Now that is funny as ****!

Brilliant.   :clap:

On 22/01/2019 at 15:12, bickster said:

The missus just came downstairs and asked if I had internet on my machines, I told her I did.

"Well I haven't got any internet on my PC, what have you done to it!"

"nothing"

"Well, you must have!"

I trudge upstairs to have a look.

I tell her she has no wifi adapter

"I've got no idea what that is, you must have done something with it, I wish you'd leave my computer alone" (I borrowed the keyboard one-night last week when she wasn't using it and replaced it the next morning)

I asked her where the USB device that used to be in the front of the machine was?

"I didn't want your memory stick in my PC, so put it away to be tidy" 

I inform her it wasn't a memory stick and go back downstairs

She's now trying to remember where she tidied it to

All my fault obviously :mrgreen:

• Haha 2

Â