General Chat

Stevo985

^^^^^^^^^^^

With the West Midlands expecting to be hit hardest by Brexit :(

Car crime figures were published in the last Which?

Most car crime - West Midlands. WTF - Beating the Mancs and the Scousers!

Now to really twist your melon, least car crime - West Mercia 😮

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Do you have any evidence to support this?

Based on alot of research I have done/watched/read which concludes to be quite accurate.

I think if we were to go out and spend months researching this ourselves we would not be far off these statistics either in our findings imo.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

On 05/02/2019 at 18:34, Xela said:

I do 2 days a week from home now. Its nice to have the option and I have got a lot to be going on with so I like it. I get too distracted in a busy office, especially when there a quite a few attractive ladies there! 

I do 2-3 days. I get far much more done, I'm a lot more productive, even work longer hours as I tend to 'log in' at the time I'd usually leave the door. On top of that I'm in an environment where I can concentrate more (no chit chat, no office noise distractions) and am far more comfortable (office is regularly hotter than Cancun with temperatures between 28-34 degrees due to women moaning that it's 'cold'). Thankfully I'm at a company where virtual meeting and calls are the norm as everyone is spread out across the country. Far better than companies populated by utter **** morons who see working from home as a bad thing.

Overall, with regular working from home my wellbeing is a lot better and I save money on commuting. It should be encouraged across the board where the industry permits. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Based on alot of research I have done/watched/read which concludes to be quite accurate. 

I think if we were to go out and spend months researching this ourselves we would not be far off these statistics either in our findings imo.

So that's a no, then?

Edit: There may be something out there but you really need to provide it rather than just reiterate an assertion.

Edited by snowychap

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

So that's a no, then?

Edit: There may be something out there but you really need to provide it rather than just reiterate an assertion.

A no based on what? I doubt the reaseach I have conducted is bollocks.

You only have to ask many people what their first impression of person in a doorway is, and I can safely say 7 times out of 10 their answer is conman or junkie.

Feel free to carry out the research yourself mate if you think what I am saying is wrong.

You obviously have more insight into this than I do judging by your post.

29 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You only have to ask many people what their first impression of person in a doorway is, and I can safely say 7 times out of 10 their answer is conman or junkie.

Conman and junkie are equivalent, then? 

Why do you think people become junkies? Lifestyle choice? 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Some do. I know 30s and older who love just smoking weed all day and just nothing else with their lives. That is a lifestyle choice. 

36 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Feel free to carry out the research yourself mate if you think what I am saying is wrong.

What 'research'?

You haven't as far as I can see told us what research you have done.

Making a second claim that 'You only have to ask many people what their first impression of person in a doorway is, and I can safely say 7 times out of 10 their answer is conman or junkie' is just that: another claim.

Edit: Another claim which, even if it were found to have evidence to support it, wouldn't be evidence to support your original claim.

Btw, why is a junkie not a genuine homeless person?

36 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You obviously have more insight into this than I do judging by your post.

My post has asked you if you have any evidence to show to support your earlier claim.

You have, so far, provided none.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There are various reasons Mike. I wouldn't out it down solely to lifestyle choice.

As Dem mentions, some people choose that as a lifestyle for their own reasons.

I was offering a simple stereotypical outlook that some hold.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'd be genuinely interested if you could post a link or a reference to some good research.

thanks

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What 'research'?

You haven't as far as I can see told us what research you have done.

Making a second claim that 'You only have to ask many people what their first impression of person in a doorway is, and I can safely say 7 times out of 10 their answer is conman or junkie' is just that: another claim.

Edit: Another claim which, even if it were found to have evidence to support it, wouldn't be evidence to support your original claim.

Btw, why is a junkie not a genuine homeless person?

My post has asked you if you have any evidence to show to support your earlier claim.

You have, so far, provided none.

Depends what you elaborate as research.

Listen. I ain't getting into it with you. I was simpiy highlighting certain aspects based on my "findings" if that is a term you are more happy with.

If you don't agree with my post  and it's content then ignore it and move on. Simply we will agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'd be genuinely interested if you could post a link or a reference to some good research.

thanks

There are loads.

I will post up some links and other areas where I have based my findings from over the last few months.

They include items from google searches. Homeless and chairtable websites, BBC documentaries etc. :thumb:

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I will post up links and other areas where I have based my findings.

They include items from google searches. Homeless and chairtable websites, BBC documentaries etc.

yes, if you could do that I'd be genuinely interested

it's a very emotive subject so to see some real research and not just unproveable anecdotes and opinions would be good

it's a big deal in Cardiff at the moment with the tents of the homeless clustering on the main shopping street

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was simpiy highlighting certain aspects based on my "findings" if that is a term you are more happy with.

No, it's not any better.

As per @chrisp65's post(s), I'd be genuinely interested in any evidence that supported your claim that 'most of the folk begging and pleading homelessness that you mention, around 30% are geuine cases.'

I've seen your response to him that 'there are loads' and that you intend to post links to 'homeless and charitable websites, BBC documentaries, &c.' that will provide us with the evidence that around 30% of people begging and pleading homelessness are genuine cases.

That's all I asked for.

Is this the sort of thing you’re referring to Rigo? (Taken from an article 4 years ago) -

Fewer than one in five people arrested for begging in England and Wales last year were homeless, suggest police figures obtained by BBC Breakfast. 

Freedom of information figures from 34 of 43 police forces showed 1,002 people arrested for begging in 2014 - of whom 199 were legally defined as homeless.

BBC link

No idea how accurate any of that is. A quick search suggests there was a programme about “fake homeless people” last year which I haven’t watched, looks like it can be viewed on the iPlayer.

Just to be clear I don’t particularly agree or disagree with this suggestion, in all honesty I haven’t given it much thought. But I’m an impatient sod and I can’t be bothered to wait for Rigo to post his research so wanted to get the conversation moving a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Is this the sort of thing you’re referring to Rigo? (Taken from an article 4 years ago) -

BBC link

No idea how accurate any of that is. A quick search suggests there was a programme about “fake homeless people” last year which I haven’t watched, looks like it can be viewed on the iPlayer.

Just to be clear I don’t particularly agree or disagree with this suggestion, in all honesty I haven’t given it much thought. But I’m an impatient sod and I can’t be bothered to wait for Rigo to post his research so wanted to get the conversation moving a bit.

It is of interest.

The headline talks about people arrested for begging but later in the article it says the following:

The highest numbers of arrests last year were made by police in Merseyside and the West Midlands.

• Merseyside Police - 243 arrests for begging, 14 people were legally defined as homeless
  • West Midlands Police - 218 arrests for begging, 68 people legally defined as homeless.

Are those 243/218 different people or are they just different events (so multiple arrests of the same person - whether legally defined as homeless or not)?

That's before one gets on to whether being legally defined as homeless is equivalent to 'genuinely homeless' and whether numbers of arrests and the data from that is a representative sample of those who are begging.

Surely there's a case to make that, other than in some places where some sort of zero tolerance policy is in force to target anyone and everyone begging, local police may well be more reluctant to arrest those whom they might view as genuine beggars thus having a situation where those legally defined as homeless being a lower proportion of those arrested than perhaps they are of those participating (i.e. those arrested and those not arrested).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is of interest.

The headline talks about people arrested for begging but later in the article it says the following:

Are those 243/218 different people or are they just different events (so multiple arrests of the same person - whether legally defined as homeless or not)?

That's before one gets on to whether being legally defined as homeless is equivalent to 'genuinely homeless' and whether numbers of arrests and the data from that is a representative sample of those who are begging.

Surely there's a case to make that, other than in some places where some sort of zero tolerance policy is in force to target anyone and everyone begging, local police may well be more reluctant to arrest those whom they might view as genuine beggars thus having a situation where those legally defined as homeless being a lower proportion of those arrested than perhaps they are of those participating (i.e. those arrested and those not arrested).

Yep the legal definition of “homeless” is something I’m unaware of and sounds like a grey area to me.

As for the stats, you’re right it can read that one person could be arrested for multiple offences, thus skewering the data. I admit that when I first read it, I took it to mean individual cases.

But here’s a single case that would challenge that figure -

Luke, in his mid-30s, has been homeless for years. He has been arrested 17 times for begging in Cambridge city centre but says the available shelters and hostels aggravate his mental health problems, so he stays on the street. The city's police, however, patiently re-arrest him at regular intervals.

"Sleeping rough is something you just get used to," says Luke. He has been homeless on and off since the age of 16.

Another BBC link

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep the legal definition of “homeless” is something I’m unaware of and sounds like a grey area to me.

As for the stats, you’re right it can read that one person could be arrested for multiple offences, thus skewering the data. I admit that when I first read it, I took it to mean individual cases.

But here’s a single case that would challenge that figure -

Another BBC link

Aggrivate his mental health problems? 

Â