General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Frobisher said:

I'm heading out to Krakow this evening for a few days. Anyone been and have any recommendations? I should stipulate I'm with the wife and sister in law, so certain activities will be out!

Auschwitz.

Chilling place. 

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Double page article about them in the Sunday mercury today. One of those bands that should of been big, but got forgotten about. John bonhams cousin was their drummer. Anyway they have found a lost album by this band and it's big news in the prog world by the sound of it. This band was psych/prog. 

They found a second album? There were supposedly only three acetates made of the known one.

Guerssen got hold of one to issue it.

I've got a few Guerssen titles, they're often quite obscure.

1 hour ago, Xann said:

They found a second album? There were supposedly only three acetates made of the known one.

Guerssen got hold of one to issue it.

I've got a few Guerssen titles, they're often quite obscure.

Sorry my mistake. They are in the recording studio doing a follow up to their debut album which as you say only 3 copies are in existence. Double page spread in the Sunday mercury and was a good read. Sorry if I got your hopes up :)

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

I'd plumb for 'formerly obscure'.

A digital remaster is available from half a dozen sellers on Amazon :)

People's idea of obscurity is subjective. I have friends who have only a casual interest in music, who regard most of the bands I like as 'obscure', simply because they aren't chart acts, and they've never heard of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

People's idea of obscurity is subjective.

Quite, but where do you draw the line?

Lots of people don't know who Nick Drake is? Or Yanni, and he fills stadiums across the globe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xann said:

Quite, but where do you draw the line?

Lots of people don't know who Nick Drake is? Or Yanni, and he fills stadiums across the globe.

fgwv.gif

18 hours ago, Frobisher said:

Thanks for the recommendations. We've got Auschwitz and the salt mines booked for tomorrow. Looking forward to sampling some Polish beer too.

Lager wise: Zywiec is my favourite

I do find it slightly hilarious (and a little troublesome) that some find the deaths of dogs so horrific that they need to get angry online and sign a petition, all whilst biting into their bacon sandwiches. I find the hypocrisy of it all truly fascinating and very sad. 

It's a mindset i'll never understand.

Edited by PieFacE

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I do find it slightly hilarious (and a little troublesome) that some find the deaths of dogs so horrific that they need to get angry online and sign a petition, all whilst biting into their bacon sandwiches. I find the hypocrisy of it all truly fascinating and very sad. 

I think it’s the cruelty people petition.

I agree there’s a certain hypocrisy, but I don’t want any animal I have eaten to have suffered whilst it was alive or to have been killed in an inhumane way. Not that there’s much way of knowing, I guess.

The yulin festival in China where they skin dogs alive is rightly protested and should be banned in my opinion.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

People have hierarchies and established orders of things. A dog is a companion, who becomes a member of the family and hopefully lives a full life and passes away peacefully. It's not raised to feed us. In cultures where it is I don't see any issue with pressure to ensure those dogs are well treated and are slaughtered without undue distress.

Equally the pig is raised to be eaten. It's purpose is to live and die and be served. Hopefully it's life is as good as can be and it does not suffer untoward distress in its final moments, and we legislate to ensure that, but ultimately the pig's purpose is chops and bacon.

You also have the subconscious disconnect between the product and the animal which helps this perception - the slices of bacon in plastic on a shelf are very much removed from the pig pen and you don't need to acknowledge it's origin. Some people do, and while as I throw another packet of bacon in the trolley I'm not thinking about the pig, I know the process that got it there and I've seen it done, and I'm ok with that.

Not being ok with that is perfectly fine as well.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I think it’s the cruelty people petition.

I agree there’s a certain hypocrisy, but I don’t want any animal I have eaten to have suffered whilst it was alive or to have been killed in an inhumane way. Not that there’s much way of knowing, I guess.

The yulin festival in China where they skin dogs alive is rightly protested and should be banned in my opinion.

But if it was cows or chickens would people care?

I suspect not, not in the same way.

EDIT: Yeah good summary Chindie. Dunno, still annoys me though.

Edited by PieFacE

A significant chunk of the media seems to have swallowed it hook line and sinker, and are more interested in discussing him being gay than his apology for drunken advances on a 14 year old boy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

A significant chunk of the media seems to have swallowed it hook line and sinker, and are more interested in discussing him being gay than his apology for drunken advances on a 14 year old boy. 

True.

It's like being gay has excused him being pissed up and trying it on with a child.

Mental.  Shows you how old-fashioned some of the media are. 

Â