General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The 'Move' are on inside out. On about their song 'Flowers in the rain' caused a bit of a stir by the sound of it. Who was smashing up things first, 'The move or 'The Who'  

The Who started the guitar smashing. Townshend did it the first time by accident when he hit the guitar on a low ceiling, and trashed it as a pretence that he'd meant to do it, to cover his embarrasment. Word got round, and the next week there was a huge crowd to see him do it again, so he did - and realised he was onto a good thing. He started bullshitting in interviews about 'auto destructive art', and it got into the media. 

The Move jumped on the bandwagon, and upped the controversy factor by smashing TV sets and attacking dummies of Prime Minister Harold Wilson with axes. 

Regardless of all that, they were both great bands. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Who started the guitar smashing. Townshend did it the first time by accident when he hit the guitar on a low ceiling, and trashed it as a pretence that he'd meant to do it, to cover his embarrasment. Word got round, and the next week there was a huge crowd to see him do it again, so he did - and realised he was onto a good thing. He started bullshitting in interviews about 'auto destructive art', and it got into the media. 

The Move jumped on the bandwagon, and upped the controversy factor by smashing TV sets and attacking dummies of Prime Minister Harold Wilson with axes. 

Regardless of all that, they were both great bands. 

Can't remember what dvd it's on, but the story of townshend smashing his guitar was on there. You probably already know, but 'The Move' never got a penny in royalties for that song they did. Apparently it's cost them a fortune.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can't remember what dvd it's on, but the story of townshend smashing his guitar was on there. You probably already know, but 'The Move' never got a penny in royalties for that song they did. Apparently it's cost them a fortune.

They made the mistake of having Don Arden (Sharon Osborne's dad) as manager. Total crook. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

They made the mistake of having Don Arden (Sharon Osborne's dad) as manager. Total crook. 

Yeah he was a bit of a villain. A few managers were back then. Peter grant changed the game by getting Zeppelin majority of the profits from tours and record sales. It was unheard of back then as it was the promoters who made the most, but he changed that. Going on a bit, but after The Who's 71 tour, I think it was Keith moon received £24 for the whole tour. With all the excesses and smashing up hotel rooms, that's all he made off that tour, and bear in mind The Who were huge by then. Don't make them like they used to, and all we have now is watered down shit. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

There are some crazy contemporary bands. They're just not the big ones.

Not many acts can afford to go on destructive rampages these days ;)

I imagine there is, and I suppose nostalgia plays a big part with me. I struggle with most modern day bands. 

can remember towers of london when they came around, saw them twice as a support band, 1st time i saw them the lead singer came on stage took a piss and the venue security booted them off stage, 2nd time the lead singer spat in to the crowd, someone jumped on stage and lamped him

try hards that people didnt have time for, you cant be a rock and roll star before you're a star

guitar music in this country has definitely been taken over by the middle class though, lots of bands that met at uni

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

can remember towers of london when they came around, saw them twice as a support band, 1st time i saw them the lead singer came on stage took a piss and the venue security booted them off stage, 2nd time the lead singer spat in to the crowd, someone jumped on stage and lamped him

try hards that people didnt have time for, you cant be a rock and roll star before you're a star

guitar music in this country has definitely been taken over by the middle class though, lots of bands that met at uni

I was thinking about them the other day and couldn't remember what they were called.  Thanks for that, mystery solved.  They were monumental bell ends from what I remember.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The last rock stars from this country were oasis, and they will probably be the last. The thing is all this rock star shit has been done to death in the 60s,70s and 80s. Personally I was all into that and it added to the music, not always in a good way though. The days of your ozzys and Keith moons and all that lot have long gone. You can't get away with a lot of that shit now and to be honest none of them would have the balls anyway. Long live rock n roll! 

Yeah I agree Ruge, you can't bang underage groupies now like you could in the 60's and 70's. Its political correctness gone mad! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The last rock stars from this country were oasis, and they will probably be the last. The thing is all this rock star shit has been done to death in the 60s,70s and 80s. Personally I was all into that and it added to the music, not always in a good way though. The days of your ozzys and Keith moons and all that lot have long gone. You can't get away with a lot of that shit now and to be honest none of them would have the balls anyway. Long live rock n roll! 

This is Liam and the Foo Fighters from last night, absolutely hilarious.  Liam doesn't know the words so has to read them off a sheet but is long sighted, then gets a bird to take over and goes crowd surfing instead.

• Like 2

Â