General Chat

Stevo985

So California has just passed legislation whereby you can LEGALLY class yourself as a non-binary gender.

This ruling makes it easier to go through transsexual alignment and means on forms there will be this option.

It currently affects 179 people.

I'm not sure what to think really.  On one hand, you are either a boy or a girl.  That's just biology and there is no escaping it.  On the other hand, people can "feel" different? 

I'm not sure I like it to be honest.  Just leads to more questions etc. 

or you're born with both sets of genitals. Very rare obviously but is possible.

Gender identity is also different to sex identity too, the former is more fluid. I mean I admit I find some of various "genders" to be eccentric,  but hey, if it doesn't harm others then who cares. Be a queer pansexual agender for all I care.

Edited by Rodders

https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-links/understanding-gender/

Body: our body, our experience of our own body, how society genders bodies, and how others interact with us based on our body.

– Identity: our deeply held, internal sense of self as male, female, a blend of both, or neither; who we internally know ourselves to be.

Most societies view sex as a binary concept, with two rigidly fixed options: male or female, both based on a person’s reproductive functions (genitals, sex chromosomes, gonads, hormones, reproductive structures). But a sex binary fails to capture even the biological aspect of gender. While most bodies have one of two forms of genitalia, which are classified as “female” or “male,” there are naturally occurring Intersex conditions that demonstrate that sex exists across a continuum of possibilities. This biological spectrum by itself should be enough to dispel the simplistic notion of the “Gender binary”- there are not just two sexes.

The relationship between a person’s gender and their body goes beyond one’s reproductive functions. Research in neurology, endocrinology, and cellular biology points to a broader biological basis for an individual’s experience of gender. In fact, research increasingly points to our brains as playing a key role in how we each experience our gender.

Bodies themselves are also gendered in the context of cultural expectations. Masculinity and femininity are equated with certain physical attributes, labeling us as more or less a man/woman based on the degree to which those attributes are present. This gendering of our bodies affects how we feel about ourselves and how others perceive and interact with us.

Identity

Gender identity is our internal experience and naming of our gender. A Cisgender person has a gender identity consistent with the sex they were assigned at birth. For example, a child whose sex was assigned male on their birth certificate and who identifies as a boy is cisgender (you may hear this term shortened to “cis”). A Transgender person has a gender identity that does not match the sex they were assigned at birth. So, a child who was assigned male on their birth certificate and who identifies as a girl is transgender (sometimes this term is shortened to “trans”).

The two most common gender identities are boy and girl (or man and woman), and often people think that these are the only two gender identities. This idea that there are only two genders is called the “gender binary.” If a child has a binary gender identity, that means they identify as either a boy or a girl, regardless of the sex they were assigned at birth.

But gender is a spectrum, and not limited to just two possibilities. A child may have a Non-binary gender identity, meaning they do not identify strictly as a boy or a girl – they could identify as both, or neither, or as another gender entirely. Agender people do not identify with any gender.

Understanding of our gender comes to most of us fairly early in life. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, “By age four, most children have a stable sense of their gender identity.” This core aspect of one’s identity comes from within each of us; it is an inherent aspect of a person’s make-up. Individuals do not choose their gender, nor can they be made to change it, though the words someone uses to communicate their gender identity may change over time (e.g., from one non-binary identity to a different non-binary identity). Naming our gender can be a complex and evolving matter. Because we are provided with limited language for gender, it may take a person quite some time to discover, or create, the language that best communicates their gender.

so there we go I guess. Definitely makes me feel old!  But happy to learn etc. It's people's lives, and there's enough shit to genuinely worry about without worrying how people self-identify. 

and there's a glossary of terms I mostly didn't know existed either:

. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh8bzojfl3c7jg4/Language of Gender_3.29.17.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Rodders

Now I feel bad for making fun of 'mental Keith' on the estate I grew up on. He used to go around roaring at people and shitting in the communal gardens. We all thought he was batshit crazy, he was merely a pangender non binary genderfluid feline entity. 

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Binary, in relation to gender was one of them words that has been introduced in the last couple of years and expected everyone to understand what it meant. 

Like 'cis-'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm starting to wonder if we do indeed become more enlightened over time or more entitled.

I guess the only way to find out would be to look through history and see if there is any record of 'alternative' physiques and lifestyles before we became entitled. Or to study third world off grid people and see if they ever differ from the binary.

I'd suggest even looking at old photos of circus freak shows would tell you there are more than two types of people. It's just that until very recently, anything different was rarely tolerated or acknowledged and there's nothing more certain of 'normal' than an ignorant crowd.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

any of you older lot heard of Fairfield Ski? Some prog band from brum.

Nope. I remember Fairfield Parlour, who were a later incarnation of the psych band Kaleidoscope. Although they weren't from Brum. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Nope. I remember Fairfield Parlour, who were a later incarnation of the psych band Kaleidoscope. Although they weren't from Brum. 

Double page article about them in the Sunday mercury today. One of those bands that should of been big, but got forgotten about. John bonhams cousin was their drummer. Anyway they have found a lost album by this band and it's big news in the prog world by the sound of it. This band was psych/prog. 

27 minutes ago, Frobisher said:

I'm heading out to Krakow this evening for a few days. Anyone been and have any recommendations? I should stipulate I'm with the wife and sister in law, so certain activities will be out!

Wieliczka salt mines, though I'm sure you'd have done that anyway. It's pretty impressive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â