General Chat

Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@mjmooney you ever done the music quiz on radio 2 ? 

Which one is that? The phone-in thing? I hardly ever listen to pop radio, but I think I've heard it. I'd be no good on anything after the 70s, so no. 

I am toying with applying for Counterpoint on Radio 4. That's mixture of classical/jazz pop/rock questions that I might be OK with. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Which one is that? The phone-in thing? I hardly ever listen to pop radio, but I think I've heard it. I'd be no good on anything after the 70s, so no. 

I am toying with applying for Counterpoint on Radio 4. That's mixture of classical/jazz pop/rock questions that I might be OK with. 

Yeah, it's on about 10.30 everyday. 

You've seen images of baby turtles hatching? They make a run for the sea en masse, through waves of different predators that know they are coming, picking off the easy prey.

It's a bit like mobile phones when they're sent by post or courier.

Coming to a surgery near you:

Sexual orientation:

Which of the following options best describes how you think of yourself?

1. Heterosexual or Straight

2. Gay or Lesbian

3. Bisexual

4. Other sexual orientation not listed

U. Person asked and does not know or is not sure

Z. Not stated (person asked but declined to provide a response)

9. Not known (not recorded)

They appear to have missed out 'S' as in Sod off, it's none of your business.

• Like 2

"What's the problem, Doctor?"

"Well, we've narrowed it down to the testes or ovaries, but as you won't tell us which are relevant in your case? You'll have to decide on the last bit for yourself."

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Coming to a surgery near you:

They appear to have missed out 'S' as in Sod off, it's none of your business.

Fair enough, but the idea is the same as ethnicity monitoring - to see if any particular demographic receives unfair treatment, etc. 

If used correctly, it's in the patient's own interest. 

Edited by mjmooney

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Fair enough, but the idea is the same as ethnicity monitoring - to see if any particular demographis receives unfair treatment, etc.

Just because one thing is recorded (or 'monitored'), it doesn't mean that recording, questioning and 'monitoring' of other things is necessary or, even, acceptable.

If used correctly, it's in the patient's own interest. 

I disagree with that and that's before getting on to whether or not it would be used correctly.

Who's going to be doing the asking in these 'face to face' meetings? It may begin with doctors but then it'll be the receptionists as the doctors don't have enough time as it is.

If it's an NHS wide deal then will my (NHS) dentist be asking me about my sexual orientation before my check up?

And then when do other organizations that collect ethnicity information start collecting this (schools, universities, publicly funded schemes, &c.)?

4 hours ago, snowychap said:

Just because one thing is recorded (or 'monitored'), it doesn't mean that recording, questioning and 'monitoring' of other things is necessary or, even, acceptable.

I disagree with that and that's before getting on to whether or not it would be used correctly.

Who's going to be doing the asking in these 'face to face' meetings? It may begin with doctors but then it'll be the receptionists as the doctors don't have enough time as it is.

If it's an NHS wide deal then will my (NHS) dentist be asking me about my sexual orientation before my check up?

And then when do other organizations that collect ethnicity information start collecting this (schools, universities, publicly funded schemes, &c.)?

When I use to reception in the NHS we were told we have to have ask their ethnic background due to their religious beliefs something about certain religions and if they need procedures. As some won't allow certain things done to them.

Just now, snowychap said:

No.

Sod off, it's none of your business is most definitely a response. ;)

Ok. But joking aside, I assumed your point was you should be able to keep it to yourself. And clearly that's an option, isn't it?

Â