General Chat

Stevo985

On 14/03/2017 at 09:56, choffer said:

My best friends wife always stashes whatever I bring over. I'd never turn up empty handed when invited for dinner but the unwritten rule is that you bring a drink or a box of chocolates and they get consumed while you're there. Every single time, they go in the cupboard.

whenever i visit friends with wine/chocolates, i never expect them to be served back to us.  That would just be wrong. and they never are. 

and when friends visit us, they always bring wine/chocolates etc and again we never serve those back out to them. that would be weird.

You serve the food and drink that you pre-decided to serve (drinks would need to be pre-chilled), food will have been cooked or will be prepped at least.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

whenever i visit friends with wine/chocolates, i never expect them to be served back to us.  That would just be wrong. and they never are. 

and when friends visit us, they always bring wine/chocolates etc and again we never serve those back out to them. that would be weird.

You serve the food and drink that you pre-decided to serve (drinks would need to be pre-chilled), food will have been cooked or will be prepped at least.

This.

And if my friends turned up with nothing i wouldn't give two shiny shits. 

I always take chocolates to a friend's house, but only because my gf gets them free from work so I don't really have any excuse :)

If I didn't I probably wouldn't take stuff unless I felt obliged.

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Decided. Chilled. 

I do hate an unnecessary "pre-". 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Decided. Chilled. 

I do hate an unnecessary "pre-". 

i wrote "pre-chilled" but i agree with you that normally it should just be "chilled".

But in this case, i was trying to say that the drinks should be chilled beforehand, rather than chilled at the time, so pre-chilled was my shortcut to indicate this. 

"chilled" was too ambiguous as to when the chilling was taking place.

:P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

This ad was on the Facebook page for our local area. Does it reflect badly on me that I didn't immediately think 'hairdresser'?  :mellow:

FB_IMG_1489653324505.jpg

I've stared at the pic for over a minute and still am not getting any indication it could be for hairdressing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/uproar-as-bomb-detection-dog-grizz-shot-dead-on-tarmac-at-auckland-airport?CMP=soc_567

Debate has raged in New Zealand as to whether staff at Auckland airport were justified in shooting a bomb-detection dog that escaped onto the airfield, delaying 16 international and domestic flights.

At what point does kill the dog become the best solution? Shockingly bad decision making. 

3 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/uproar-as-bomb-detection-dog-grizz-shot-dead-on-tarmac-at-auckland-airport?CMP=soc_567

At what point does kill the dog become the best solution? Shockingly bad decision making. 

It was costing them money, so from a purely financial POV (which is what they've gone with) for the airport, it makes sense.

Delaying further (to find a dart gun to tranquilize etc) could have taken a long time (several hours) during which many more planes would have been delayed.

Not that I agree with the end solution, but they've done it as it was costing them money.

50 minutes ago, Jon said:

It was costing them money, so from a purely financial POV (which is what they've gone with) for the airport, it makes sense.

Delaying further (to find a dart gun to tranquilize etc) could have taken a long time (several hours) during which many more planes would have been delayed.

Not that I agree with the end solution, but they've done it as it was costing them money.

Or they could have gone into the dogs vacinity on one of those awesome, weird vehicles that seem to drive around planes, 1 guy hanging off the side with a dog noose.

I would have had that problem sorted in 5 minutes.

Maybe the emergency was one of the planes wanting to land was in danger of running out of fuel?  Even so, I doubt you'd notice running a dog over in a car, never mind a **** 747 :lol: 

Shame obviously.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder how many of the people outraged over a single dog being killed will be tucking in to a bacon sarnie or a burger over the weekend.

I think it's more the purpose of death if someone kills to eat, then fine. I'd be equally pissed off if a pig got lose and was causing a disturbance and rather than catch it they just felt it easier to kill it. 

• Like 3

Â