General Chat

Stevo985

Food/milk theft is common in our office. It has got to the point where people bring in cool bags to put their items in, the sort with those two little zips that allow you to use a tiny padlock to secure them. Madness.

23 hours ago, Davkaus said:

A surströmming and durian sandwich ought to do the trick.

I think you'd quite rightly lose your fridge privileges.  In fact you might lose your entire building privileges.

On Durian

“its odour is best described as turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away.”

Anyone not familiar with surstromming need only entertain themselves with youtube.

10 minutes ago, hogso said:

Food/milk theft is common in our office. It has got to the point where people bring in cool bags to put their items in, the sort with those two little zips that allow you to use a tiny padlock to secure them. Madness.

That's extreme. What I don't get about milk is why not have a contribution each person gives what a quid? If there is 10 of you that's a tenner that could last you a few weeks at least.

further proof that I think I actually live inside an episode of Eastenders ...

One of my close friends sons died last week , aged 25  , exact cause unknown but looks like a heart failure

So it turns out father and son had a bit of  a falling out a year or so ago and now his Ex-wife wont tell him which undertakers has the body and where and when the funeral will be . I'm friends with the Ex-wife still (we all grew up together after all and I don't let other peoples lifes affect my friendship with people ) , so I'm being asked to notify all the mutual friends about the arrangements in case anyone would like to go along to pay their respects ..... The dad has found out the funeral details and of course wants to attend ....

so yet again I'm the man in the middle , my instinct is to ring the Ex-wife  and try and persuade her ..of course if I approach the ex-wife and she says Hello no if he comes we will refuse him entry  , then I make things worse   , so my other instinct is to shut the hell up , let the dad turn up at the funeral and give him my support ... and just hope nobody makes a scene

Is it just my life that is like this ?

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

One of my close friends sons died last week , aged 25  , exact cause unknown but looks like a heart failure

So it turns out father and son had a bit of  a falling out a year or so ago and now his Ex-wife wont tell him which undertakers has the body and where and when the funeral will be . I'm friends with the Ex-wife still (we all grew up together after all and I don't let other peoples lifes affect my friendship with people ) , so I'm being asked to notify all the mutual friends about the arrangements in case anyone would like to go along to pay their respects ..... The dad has found out the funeral details and of course wants to attend ....

so yet again I'm the man in the middle , my instinct is to ring the Ex-wife  and try and persuade her ..of course if I approach the ex-wife and she says Hello no if he comes we will refuse him entry  , then I make things worse   , so my other instinct is to shut the hell up , let the dad turn up at the funeral and give him my support ... and just hope nobody makes a scene

Sorry to bad mouth your friend, especially with what's happened, but that's a proper bitchy thing to do.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Sorry to bad mouth your friend, especially with what's happened, but that's a proper bitchy thing to do.

Yeah, unless it was some serious issue why they fell out, then she should let the man go to his own son's funeral!  

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Yeah, unless it was some serious issue why they fell out, then she should let the man go to his own son's funeral!  

It's not up to the wife who goes to the funeral. He was both their son. I'd just keep schtum Tone Loc. She'd unlikely to make a massive scene at the funeral and if she does, someone can take care of her. Then book in a slot on next week's Jezza Kyle show ...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The work place should provide milk.  Stingy bastards.

I've never worked at a place that doesn't!

One company I worked at was spending about £50,000 a year just on milk for staff. Some middle manager decided to try and make a name for themselves by saving money, replacing it all with UHT. It lasted 4 days due to the uproar and loss of productivity due to people being so angry about the penny pinching, I think we were a couple of days away from a strike.

You can walk all over British workers, but **** with their tea, and you have a fight on your hands. :P 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon said:

It's not up to the wife who goes to the funeral. He was both their son. I'd just keep schtum @tonyh29

I'd go with this.  Don't bite off more than you can chew.  You were asked to give funeral details, no more, no less, so you can even argue plausible deniability as it stands.

As for scenes.  I wouldn't bet against it.  Funerals have massively heightened emotions as a baseline.  Plenty of afters places (hotels, pubs etc) over here refuse to take funeral bookings because the likelihood of trouble is high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

She can't stop him for attending. If he wants to pay his respects then she has to respect that. Sorry to hear about the son though that's tragic very young. One of my friends passed away under similar circumstances a few years ago and wasn't aware had a heart defect. Was one of the healithiest people I've ever known. Awful.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I rung her best friend and had a chat with her  ... doesn't seem to be anything sinister just your typical ex couples who can't get along after a bad divorce  , does seem to me that she is being spiteful for the sake of it  , but as I told my friend all I really want to know is If I turn up with the Dad is that going to be OK ... that's been agreed so that's progress from him not being welcome , so now I can move onto the next drama in my circle of friends life

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I rung her best friend and had a chat with her  ... doesn't seem to be anything sinister just your typical ex couples who can't get along after a bad divorce  , does seem to me that she is being spiteful for the sake of it  , but as I told my friend all I really want to know is If I turn up with the Dad is that going to be OK ... that's been agreed so that's progress from him not being welcome , so now I can move onto the next drama in my circle of friends life

I assume if you've been asked to let people know about the funeral, then some mutual friends would have been informed? In which case, you could just play dumb. It would seem likely that some one would have asked him about it (assuming again that they were not party to the fact his ex doesn't want him to go?), in which case, as long as you don't turn up together you can't get any blame.

11 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I assume if you've been asked to let people know about the funeral, then some mutual friends would have been informed? In which case, you could just play dumb. It would seem likely that some one would have asked him about it (assuming again that they were not party to the fact his ex doesn't want him to go?), in which case, as long as you don't turn up together you can't get any blame.

Bit wordy :P

you can even argue plausible deniability as it stands

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've never worked at a place that doesn't!

One company I worked at was spending about £50,000 a year just on milk for staff. Some middle manager decided to try and make a name for themselves by saving money, replacing it all with UHT. It lasted 4 days due to the uproar and loss of productivity due to people being so angry about the penny pinching, I think we were a couple of days away from a strike.

You can walk all over British workers, but **** with their tea, and you have a fight on your hands. :P 

We've got a bit of a dippit who buys coffee, milk, bread, cereal, peanut butter, tea bags etc and leaves it all in the staff room for us. I have no idea how he affords it but it's magnificent.  The company got rid of our canteen altogether the cheap bastards.

11 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

lapal_fan is your best man!?

They say a man can be judged by the company he keeps, you know?

To be fair to him, he's slightly less irritating in real life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

To be fair to him, he's slightly less irritating in real life.

That's disappointing. He still looks like Jim Carey though, right?

• Like 1

Â