General Chat

Stevo985

My sister got robbed by her next door neighbours on christmas eve, all the presents gone, real central news type stuff disabled daughter, living room cleared out. They were brazen about it too. Police couldnt do anything as it couldnt be proven, then one day this fella with his mates from wales kicked their door in and they ended up in hospital. 

Parents got burgled almost exactly a year ago (a year on Saturday) during my mom's 60th birthday celebrations.

They didn't take a whole lot, few DVDs and laptops, all replaceable stuff. And no damage really apart from the patio doors and kitchen windows which they got replaced on the insurance and turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

BUT, it was still horrible. Happening on her birthday. And then the next night I stayed there as my parents were away and it was really really unsettling.

Luckily, they found the guy and he went away for 5 years or something due to previous convictions. So that was a nice result.

Not nice I imagine, especially if you have kids. I think a law should be introduced where you can do whatever you like to defend your own house from burglar's. The only problem with that though is that you would be inviting people you can't stand round to your house for tea, then battering them with iron bars. Yes officer, they were trying to rob my house.

Do you remember the story of Tony Martin, the farmer who shot and killed a burglar and injured another when they broke into his place? It happened in 1999 and caused a big discussion in the press since he was then convicted of murder but then that was bumped down to manslaughter. I think it was as recent as last year that he was burgled again and confronted the burglar but only threatened this one.

Back in 2012 there was a whole thing about changing the laws on how much force you can use to defend yourself and your home, I believe. It's all about 'proportionate force', but I think the amendments to the law have been heavily criticised as there's loads of loopholes. It's definitely a moral grey area though.

It was a gypsy he shot, to be fair.

To be fairer the manslaughter nick was because he shot one of the buglars in the back as he ran away. At no point could that be argued to be reasonable or proportional force.

It's just stuff. I wouldn't cause harm to someone to trying to take stuff.

If they were intent on doing me harm, on the other hand, then I'd happily hide under the bed and cry.

Some one needs to make a book of just posts from CED. Then follow it up with a video book of just his gif comments.

When I was a kid we came back off holiday to find the house had been burgled (it was early January). Its something very difficult to explain to someone who has not had it happen to them, but the thought of thieves going through your stuff and wondering around your room is really horrible.

I think if it happened now my OH (and probably myself) would want to sell up and move.

I believe if you were to venture down stairs to attack intruders then it might be deemed as being overly aggressive. If they come upstairs and you warn them then its fair game (to a degree). 

...not sure how it works if you live in a bungalow :D

If anyone comes in my house to try and rob me or even uninvited I'd try and beat them to a pulp. Yeah I remember that ginko, shocking.

This. **** the law, would-be burglars in my property will get the first weapon to hand right in the head
  • Like 2

If any one breaks into your house or is a threat to you or your family ...any and all reasonable force should be used .....If that means killing a guy robbing your house at 2 in the morning armed with a knife ....then so be it (if he had a knife)

Says the Chef who probably has personalized knifes under his pillow ;) You just want to use em. 

talking about burglars...

i was at a friends house whilst at uni, and a roast chicken had just finished cooking.

we went upstairs to get ready to go out, came back down to find that the house had been burgled.

They had come in through the kitchen door which was unlocked.

what did they take - the bloody roast chicken!  (and a camera)

My first time in Birmingham I was 5 and over for my cousins wedding, I was staying in my dad's first cousins house as they had young kids too & my mom & dad and everyone else was heading out. Got back to the house after a lovely trip to Villa park (where I got the full home kit), only to see that a burglary was in process, the police were inside and the man was carted out in front of me, where he was just spewing random sounds, clearly out of his mind on drugs. I was absolutely terrified, next day my nan brought me down to the Villa Village and got me the full GK kit. 

My first time in Birmingham I was 5 and over for my cousins wedding, I was staying in my dad's first cousins house as they had young kids too & my mom & dad and everyone else was heading out. Got back to the house after a lovely trip to Villa park (where I got the full home kit), only to see that a burglary was in process, the police were inside and the man was carted out in front of me, where he was just spewing random sounds, clearly out of his mind on drugs. I was absolutely terrified, next day my nan brought me down to the Villa Village and got me the full GK kit. 

I feel so bad for you man.

They turned you into a full kit rocket polisher!

• Like 1

When I temporarily eschewed housemates to live on my own I had two attempted break ins within a month. Thoroughly unsettling and did upgrade my contempt for burglars to pussekatt's level of hate. I did attempt a far milder version of chrisp's confrontation though as I meandered a bit cautiously out the door to follow the scampering sounds clad in merely a t-shirt and rather softly cried out "Oi!" A rather half hearted, but stoically british warning I feel. Recovered with a green tea and some wodehouse before popping off back to sleep. Think I called the police about 12 hours later as an after thought :/

• Like 1

Â