The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I mentioned this in the best films of 2022 list: Avatar 2.

I get the feeling there's a fair bit of judginess about this series. I love a bit of highbrow like anyone, but I saw it yesterday and this is a great cinematic experience with literally zero comprimise anywhere. James Cameron earnt my faith with Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, The Abyss—and here he is again at the absolute top of his game, making one of the most intense and cinematic big-budget spectaculars ever. It's a master at the top of his game. The film has a heart too, and crucially gives space to all of its characters. In that sense it's the antithisis to the shitty blockbusters we get these days. The attention to detail in every single shot is ultimately spellbinding. He makes you care, then amps up the action. And because there are actual stakes and he's made you genuinely care it feels so engaging.

In 3D on a big screen, there's nothing like it. I felt like a kid again. Nobody can do what Cameron does. Terminator 2 really stuck with me with how it escalates and keeps escalating—this is on another level. This has probably the best action I've ever seen, and I feel sad at the thought I almost didn't bother seeing it.

This series deserves no snobbery imo. Both films are epic behemoths of sheer class. The odd silly detail and the odd cheesy line of dialogue doesn't change any of that.

Edited by Rolta

I think Cameron's best film was Terminator - with a limited budget that forced him to think a bit. The Abyss was an interesting premise - but most of what he does seems to be big stuff blowing up and falling over with no soul or heart. I'm not a fan.

• Like 2

His best film is either Aliens or Terminator 2. Before those he's still learning his craft and his vision exceeded what he could do. After those (and including Abyss) he gets too caught up in the tech demo of it all. In Aliens and T2 he balances it all out very nicely. Still has his hallmarks (big set pieces, pushing tech, mawkish sentimentality, slightly under editted so has baggier sections) but brings it all together cohesively with good story, good purposeful action, good performances, good soundtracks etc.

27 minutes ago, sne said:

New Evil Dead trailer

It might be a decent film and looks like a decent horror film, but it doesn't really look like an Evil Dead film if you know what I mean. It's got the deadites and the book but where's the fun and wackiness?

• Like 1

Finally watched Top Gun Maverick, okay not one for the purists, but anyone who was a fan of the first film (me!), it's certainly not a disappointment. A bit slow to start, but have to say the last half hour or so was brilliant.

I believe most of the flying in it was real, if so, there were some pretty unreal flying skills.

20 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It might be a decent film and looks like a decent horror film, but it doesn't really look like an Evil Dead film if you know what I mean. It's got the deadites and the book but where's the fun and wackiness?

Different tone for sure. Sam Raimi still involved thou.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Finally watched Top Gun Maverick, okay not one for the purists, but anyone who was a fan of the first film (me!), it's certainly not a disappointment. A bit slow to start, but have to say the last half hour or so was brilliant.

I believe most of the flying in it was real, if so, there were some pretty unreal flying skills.

I don't like the original Top Gun but I did enjoy Maverick.

• Like 1

p20347331_p_v13_ad.jpg

Escape from Mogadishu was pretty good.

Tense South Korean movie about some diplomats getting caught in Mogadishu at the start of the war in the early 90's. Starts off a bit "Korean" with the characters being the typical a bit too animated but then it changes and becomes rather grounded and grim. 

31 minutes ago, sne said:

p20347331_p_v13_ad.jpg

Escape from Mogadishu was pretty good.

Tense South Korean movie about some diplomats getting caught in Mogadishu at the start of the war in the early 90's. Starts off a bit "Korean" with the characters being the typical a bit too animated but then it changes and becomes rather grounded and grim. 

And loads of close up shots of people eating?

After locking myself out and had a few hours to kill waiting for CarryOnWife to get home. I went and saw Aftersun at my local screen. Went in fully blind knowing FA.. what an experience, I was in tears (not because I locked myself out) no film has ever done that to me ever. Brilliantly slow, brilliantly preformed, the music was spot on. All leads to the final like an emotional sledgehammer. If this isn’t in the Oscar’s mix, I be truly saddened 

• Thanks 1

I watched the banshees of inishirin at the weekend. I am a fan of McDonagh and his brothers films, not one that I didnt watch and love, this was just OK. Some great elements, but overall the film was ok. Martin McDonaghs worst I would say.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Appears as though it has some potential. There aren't too many movies that feature proper racing action, where you feel like you're there, in the car. This may achieve that.

Â