The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 19/12/2022 at 04:31, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He was a complicated and fascinating man, I can't wait for this, and frankly anything Cillian Murphy is in is worth a watch. 

Hopefully Nolan can get back on form. 

• Like 2

On 20/12/2022 at 09:49, BOF said:

I don't mind something being quirky or offbeat, but this wasn't that either.  It's like they tried to get the word 'feckin' into every second sentence, and sometimes twice in the once sentence, and the unnecessary repitition in the back and forths. It just sounded forced, unnatural and as I say, really quite amateur. I was getting second hand embarrassment for them while watching it. But I got to the end in case it got better. Which it very marginally did. The little young fella went from being the worst of them all at the start to actually being one you sympathised with in the end. I think it's very much a case of everyone giving it a free pass simply because of its Irishness, which as @mjmooneywould say is cringe.

So, on a scale from Father Ted to Mrs Brown's Boys...? 

On 20/12/2022 at 09:03, Rodders said:

Jesus :D He may be a scientology lunatic but he knows how to make fun action films. Can't wait for this one, the video is about the making of a stunt. 

Say what you like about his beliefs but when you see one of his action movies and the stunts he does it makes it worth watching. I have no idea how he gets insurance to do most of it

ba8c947e0af7c4846788acaf539c2fe4.png

Gone to Earth (Powell and Pressburger) - Rural fairy tale, not quite as good as their very best but still still very good.

the-quiet-girl

The Quiet Girl (Colm Bairéad) - Irish language film, Oscar nominated, I thought it was very good.

Edited by useless

On 19/12/2022 at 12:28, BOF said:

Watched the Banshees of Inisheerin and it ... was just a bit off for me. The dialogue was not natural. The 'Irishness' was forced and it was just a bit amateur. Nowhere near the standard of In Bruges from McDonagh.

Fully agree, to a point. And that point was about 10 minutes into it when I stopped watching! 

• Haha 1

Quite enjoyed See How They Run on Disney +, a good old fashioned, tongue in cheek whodunnit set around the West end show, The Mousetrap in the fifties.

Good cast, with Sam Rockwell and Saiorse Ronan particularly decent.

Easy and entertaining watch

• Like 4

Watched 'Mothering Sunday' (2021) last night on Netflix. Kind of Upstairs Downstairs meets Downton Abbey. 

Before the VT massive scoffs, I should add that the lead (Odessa Young) spends most of the film naked. 

Screenshot_2022-12-25-20-25-44-71_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

On 21/12/2022 at 13:06, PieFacE said:

Watched The Triangle of Sadness the other day and loved it. Very good film. Bit slow going to begin with but worth sticking with.

Watched this last night. loved it! Great dialogue. Found out the lead Actress died in real life which was a shame. 7/10 

On 23/12/2022 at 00:00, useless said:

6a0168ea36d6b2970c02a2eed5a3c1200d-pi

Aftersun (Charlotte Wells) - Good film well done, good performances from the two leads

C66ID3ULTFG4BGN37CHQ5Q4PQM.jpg

Jeannette: L'enfance de Jeanne d'Arc (Bruno Dumont) - Enjoyed it, loved the choreography for the dance sequences

Aftersun probably one of my favourites of the year so far. Reminded my of my own family holidays when I was younger. 8/10

Â