The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I still think his best performance is in Stuart a Life Backwards. He's outstanding in that. Very good in The Take, The Revenant, Bronson and Warrior too.

His performance as Ron in Legend was like something from an episode of Little Britain though. Completely spoils that movie for me.

I've only seen The Revenant from that list so , seems I just watch his crap roles :)

totally agree about Legend though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Number 2 pushes what they get away with a bit further, the film establishes boundaries and then over steps them but because I like the setting and the boundaries that it created Im OK with them doing it

I thought 2 was a better film than the original 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought 2 was a better film than the original 

From memory I thought it was looser with the whole be silent stuff but at the same time had some more interesting stuff in it so depending on how much sticking to its own rules annoys you will probably shape how much you enjoy it 

On 09/01/2023 at 09:56, Genie said:

I watched “A Quiet Place” last night. Never before have I watched a film with so many holes in the plot and behaviour of the characters. 

It's so shit! And I agree completely. I don't understand how people were OK with the eternally dumb people.

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's so shit! And I agree completely. I don't understand how people were OK with the eternally dumb people.

The last few years (mostly everything from 2016 onwards) have really widened my scope for suspension of belief on the global public and the art of the possible when it comes to dipshittery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

His performance as Ron in Legend was like something from an episode of Little Britain though. Completely spoils that movie for me.

I can definitely see why you say that. There were times it seemed a bit OTT (like the first scene of the movie), but then Ron was legitimately insane so I dunno, maybe it wasn't that OTT.

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Watched The Menu earlier.

A brilliant little pitch black cynical comedy/horror.

Watch it.

I had so many thoughts about that film when I saw it. Can't remember what half of them are now. I know I liked it for the most part but I definitely wondered if the (imo disappointing) denouement was a intentional continuation of the message of the film.

52 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The most unforgivable part was leaving the doors open. The risk/reward of having doors closed when killer monsters are about should have made it a no-brainer.

Edited by Genie

51 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

The last few years (mostly everything from 2016 onwards) have really widened my scope for suspension of belief on the global public and the art of the possible when it comes to dipshittery.

Yeah like how 'avoid it like the plague' now actually means to run towards something and probably lick it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The most unforgivable part was leaving the doors open. The risk/reward of having doors closed when killer monsters are about should have made it a no-brainer.

There's no minute of the film where the people weren't being so stupid. It just made me angry the whole way through. I watched it ages ago, but I can still remember some highlights...the main guy blames one of the kids for the death of the kid in the opening when it's all his own fault, he goes off on a pointless journey when his wife is almost ready to give birth (you'd take no risks, babies can come early!), Yeah they left all the doors open, even the dumb shit way he curls his finger when he shushes them. There was more. But basically nothing made any sense and I couldn't stand any of the characters as a result. The world's dumbest, most arsehole family (the dad shirking responsibility for the opening) trying to survive in the dumbest ways. 

I actually hated that film. 

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

There's no minute of the film where the people weren't being so stupid. It just made me angry the whole way through. I watched it ages ago, but I can still remember some highlights...the main guy blames one of the kids for the death of the kid in the opening when it's all his own fault, he goes off on a pointless journey when his wife is almost ready to give birth (you'd take no risks, babies can come early!), Yeah they left all the doors open, even the dumb shit way he curls his finger when he shushes them. There was more. But basically nothing made any sense and I couldn't stand any of the characters as a result. The world's dumbest, most arsehole family (the dad shirking responsibility for the opening) trying to survive in the dumbest ways. 

I actually hated that film. 

One other mental bit, wife has given birth (which was ridiculous for a whole range of reasons), then she has a nap, then she wakes up and enquires about the whereabouts of their other children and he says “I’ll find them”.

Yeah, it’s the end of the world, there are killer monsters everywhere and Dad knows the kids out outside somewhere but he hasn’t bothered to look for them yet.

Mom just nods in acceptance. 

:lol: 

I actually think it’s the stupidest film I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

One other mental bit, wife has given birth (which was ridiculous for a whole range of reasons), then she has a nap, then she wakes up and enquires about the whereabouts of their other children and he says “I’ll find them”.

Yeah, it’s the end of the world, there are killer monsters everywhere and Dad knows the kids out outside somewhere but he hasn’t bothered to look for them yet.

Mom just nods in acceptance. 

:lol: 

I actually think it’s the stupidest film I’ve ever seen. 

Ah yeah that sounds about right. It's definitely as if the screenwriters put zero thought into how people would act. 

Atrocious trash with no redeeming qualities!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

See to me that's the sign of a good film, you have all that bollocks, which I can't argue against because it is such bollocks... And yet I still enjoyed it

Stupid writing is definitely not the sign of a good film! 

Couple of films I’ve seen recebtly

p35012_p_v8_ac.jpg

brilliant 4/5

MV5BYTU2OWJhMjYtMjc2Ni00OTg4LTkxNGYtYjgw

bleak, depressing, real. But brilliant 4/5

MV5BNjEzNTk2OTEwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzEx

Meh. It’s fine. Nothing special but Cooper is quite good. A bit too “oh look Americans are great” for me. 3/5

Causeway-924344630-large.jpg

Good little film this. Can see why it’s in the Oscar discussions. Lawrence is good but Brian Tyree Henry steals the show. 4/5

menu_ver2-1.jpg

It’s fine. Wasn’t blown away and don’t really think it deserves some of the hype but still very enjoyable. 3.5/5

firestarter-header.jpeg

absolute dogshit 1/5

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

p35012_p_v8_ac.jpg

brilliant 4/5

Saw it for £1 in cex yesterday and was tempted, do you think it's better than the departed? I saw IA first and despite the departed being very good I think the original is better but it's now been that long I can't remember why

Also from a sketchy memory the second one is pretty good but the 3rd one dips a bit

Edit - had a quick wiki to see what those pair are up to, leung was obviously in shang chi but it's been a long time since I've seen lau in anything, turns out they've paired up again and have a new film coming out with the IA director called once upon a time in HK

Edited by villa4europe

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Saw it for £1 in cex yesterday and was tempted, do you think it's better than the departed? I saw IA first and despite the departed being very good I think the original is better but it's now been that long I can't remember why

Also from a sketchy memory the second one is pretty good but the 3rd one dips a bit

I think The Departed is better. It’s length helps it, it’s a lot more spread out and explained. IA seems rushed at times. 

But it’s the kind of plot that if you know what’s going to happen it massively affects your enjoyment, so it could be that because I knew what was going to happen it didn’t work as well.

Probably one of those where whichever you watch first you’ll prefer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

p35012_p_v8_ac.jpg

brilliant 4/5

My memory is just as bad as a gold fish, but who the hell is that chick in the middle? The most misleading thing in a movie poster ever. Did they just randomly Photoshop some chick with a gun to make it a bit more exciting?

2 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

My memory is just as bad as a gold fish, but who the hell is that chick in the middle? The most misleading thing in a movie poster ever. Did they just randomly Photoshop some chick with a gun to make it a bit more exciting?

That’s a very good point 😂😂😂

Â