The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

turning-red-giddy.gif
Turning Red (Domee Shi) - Enjoyed it

dc72f3a2d682cebb83923bca1bf20962.gif

Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson) - I liked it.

awfulgif2.gif?1531865572717

The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey) - Great film, Cary Grant and Irene Dunne dazzled.

Edited by useless

Money and time well spent. 

James Cameron plans to prove that Jack couldn't have lived in 'Titanic'

'We have done a scientific study to put this whole thing to rest,' Oscar-winning filmmaker says

For 25 years, James Cameron has heard your complaints about Jack Dawson’s heartbreaking death at the end of Titanic. And now he’s going to prove you wrong.Ever since the film’s debut in 1997, moviegoers have debated the ending with many concluding that Rose (Kate Winslet) could have shoved over and made room for Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) on the floating door, thus saving his life (personally, I have always believed that there was plenty of space on that makeshift raft).“We have since done a thorough forensic analysis with a hypothermia expert who reproduced the raft from the movie and we’re going to do a little special on it that comes out in February. We took two stunt people who were the same body mass of Kate and Leo and we put sensors all over them and inside them and we put them in ice water and we tested to see whether they could have survived through a variety of methods and the answer was, there was no way they both could have survived. Only one could survive.”

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/james-cameron-plans-to-prove-that-jack-couldnt-have-lived-in-titanic

I watched the three Hobbit films over the Weekend . Its fair to say, Peter Jackson is a genius. Also, Martin Freeman has to be one of the most underrated actors today, he was made for the role of Bilbo Baggins. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

Watched the Banshees of Inisheerin and it ... was just a bit off for me. The dialogue was not natural. The 'Irishness' was forced and it was just a bit amateur. Nowhere near the standard of In Bruges from McDonagh.

• Like 2

I only saw the beginning of Banshees of Inisherin but I got the sense that it was meant to be sort of offbeat depiction rather than realistic, a comedy of sorts but one that's not meant to be laugh out loud funny, more quirky perhaps, from what I saw reminded me a little of some of Bruno Dumont's recent 'comedies', especially the Quinquin series, I guess Wes Anderson has a similar style in some of his films.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Good news from Nolan, it's (not) about time!

He'll do something timey wimey with it. He can't help himself.

Also there's the very weird feeling with this that it's a fascinating story about a fascinating man, but really the entire movie is going to be cockteasing you throughout for when he's going to say the thing.

Wait wait wait...! He's gonna say it. He's gonna say the Thing!

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

HE SAID THE THING!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, useless said:

I only saw the beginning of Banshees of Inisherin but I got the sense that it was meant to be sort of offbeat depiction rather than realistic, a comedy of sorts but one that's not meant to be laugh out loud funny, more quirky perhaps, from what I saw reminded me a little of some of Bruno Dumont's recent 'comedies', especially the Quinquin series, I guess Wes Anderson has a similar style in some of his films.

I don't mind something being quirky or offbeat, but this wasn't that either.  It's like they tried to get the word 'feckin' into every second sentence, and sometimes twice in the once sentence, and the unnecessary repitition in the back and forths. It just sounded forced, unnatural and as I say, really quite amateur. I was getting second hand embarrassment for them while watching it. But I got to the end in case it got better. Which it very marginally did. The little young fella went from being the worst of them all at the start to actually being one you sympathised with in the end. I think it's very much a case of everyone giving it a free pass simply because of its Irishness, which as @mjmooneywould say is cringe.

18 hours ago, Rodders said:

Jesus :D He may be a scientology lunatic but he knows how to make fun action films. Can't wait for this one, the video is about the making of a stunt. 

That is nuts. Obviously he has the money to do the training and dedicate a year or so of his life to the prep which is really impressive - I did appreciate the dedication. But wouldn’t it look just as good if it was CGI? Or someone else did it and just cgi his face on?

22 hours ago, Rodders said:

Jesus :D He may be a scientology lunatic but he knows how to make fun action films. Can't wait for this one, the video is about the making of a stunt. 

I can't help but feel it's all a massive indulgence. People indulging him. It comes across in the scripts of the Mission Impossible films too—Ethan Hunt is lauded like some god. Cruise is such a clearing in the woods. Some of the films are fun enough.

• Like 2

On 20/12/2022 at 09:03, Rodders said:

Some going that at 60 he is still doing his own stunts, never mine ones like this. 

Â