The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I haven’t watched a marvel superhero film but fancied giving it a go so did a search and it suggested chronologically Captain America first avenger, watched that today and all in all it was pretty good. Might work through them all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I haven’t watched a marvel superhero film but fancied giving it a go so did a search and it suggested chronologically Captain America first avenger, watched that today and all in all it was pretty good. Might work through them all. 

I've been thinking about this. Might watch one a week and work through them all, I haven't seen any.

• Like 2

Welcome To Marwen (Netflix) is well worth a watch. 

Both funny and poignant, based on true events of an artist recovering from a severe assault leaving him with little memory and now lives his life in a fantasy town in World War 2 Belgium. 

Steve Carrell is excellent and we'll supported in it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Welcome To Marwen (Netflix) is well worth a watch. 

Both funny and poignant, based on true events of an artist recovering from a severe assault leaving him with little memory and now lives his life in a fantasy town in World War 2 Belgium. 

Steve Carrell is excellent and we'll supported in it. 

Make sure you watch Marwencol (if you haven't already).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Finally watched “Dead Man’s Shoes” last night.

I know it’s highly regarded on here so was glad to finally get round to it. 

Interesting. This sounds like faint praise but in places it felt to me what it would be like if Nick Love made a good film. It was curious as it felt like it was being shown more from the antagonists’ perspective. 

I like Toby Kebbell, if I’m honest, I wasn’t sure about his mentally challenged character. Not sure it would have been done the same way if they made it today.

Yeah, I can see all this.  I'm pretty ambivalent about Shane Meadows in general.  I liked his first run of features, pretty much up to this point, but have wondered if he has much more to say as he's not seemed to have developed like I feel he should have done (not seen the This Is England TV series).  Dead Man's Shoes could have been a turning point, a mix of his distinctive regional spark and social realist empathy with the greater impact afforded through more explicit 'genre' characteristics.  But it's one of those films that I recall being impressed by, possessing a depth of appreciation for all the miserable souls in this crap tragedy, that I really should revisit sometime.  I wonder about he Kebbell performance too, with the caveat that greater 'sensitivity' in portrayals of anyone with any disability does not automatically equal a treatment of greater depth.

And as for the notion of an elevated Nick Love film, well, Muscle, with Craig Fairbrass, who is excellent, is very much that!  And not in a bad way!  If you can accpet Gerard Johnson's somewhat nihilistic abrupt endings its a memorable wade into the slurry of modern, addled, masculinity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

They next few films might get slightly worse, but then they will get much much better.

Captain America is no way near the top half of the MCU films, so you have a lot to look forward to. 

Edited by ender4
  • Thanks 1

Anyone seen this gem yet? Rocking a solid 2,4/10 on IMBD and with one of the best elevator pitches of all time.

"In 2420, after aliens and powerful space wizards enslaved human villages, a group of rebels organize a counter attack against their alien overlords by piloting fully loaded spaceships." :D

Battle in Space: The Armada Attacks Poster

1 hour ago, sne said:

Anyone seen this gem yet? Rocking a solid 2,4/10 on IMBD and with one of the best elevator pitches of all time.

"In 2420, after aliens and powerful space wizards enslaved human villages, a group of rebels organize a counter attack against their alien overlords by piloting fully loaded spaceships." :D

not yet but I will be 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Star Wars Episode 6 GIF

• Haha 1

Myself and a few mates come from very small families, so Christmas used to peter out for us about 3-4pm in the afternoon. To pass Christmas night we decided to get together and watch some movies together and have a few drinks. What started with Point Break, Red Dawn and other Patrick Swayze movies has descended into watching Nick Cage movies. Some particular favourites include The Wickerman, Vampire's Kiss and Deadfall. One friend has even gone as far as sourcing cardboard Nick Cage standees to place next to the TV and gifting his unofficial autobiography...

Now that I'm all grown up (married and an expanding family) Christmas Day no longer works but we still try and get together at that time of year to keep the tradition going. This year we watched the cinematic masterpiece that is...

spacer.png

A very generous 3.1 on IMDB and 12 on Metascore. Do yourself a favour...

On 10/01/2021 at 21:26, Seat68 said:

Somewhat surprisingly , I watched the first Captain America film on a flight to Tehran , ( was one of these flights without personalised sets so everyone watched the same film ) ... that film and then all the women having to go to the bathrooms to put on head scarves etc as we entered Iranian airspace , were the first 2 of many perception busting surprises that Iran threw up .

I thought the “first”  Marvel film  in this sequence  , at least in release date terms ,  was Iron Man but no idea about the best sequence to watch them all in ... 

Always struggled to get into the X-Men movies, but Apocalypse is probably the only one I remember liking. (Can't be that good as I can't remember much about it!)

While we're on Superhero movies... I've just found out I've got to isolate for 10 days so setting myself a task of whipping through the DC movies again..

• Man of Steel – (June 14, 2013) ✅
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25, 2016)
  • Suicide Squad – (August 5, 2016)
  • Wonder Woman – (June 2, 2017)
  • Justice League – (November 17, 2017)
  • Aquaman – (December 21, 2018)
  • Shazam! – (April 5, 2019)
  • Birds of Prey – (February 7, 2020)
  • Wonder Woman 1984 — (December 25, 2020)

(Ignore the dates... just copy + pasted from my notes)

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

too late to say dont?

That bad? I got twenty minutes in and fell asleep. I must say though with the whole Egyptian theme I thought it was going to be a good one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCU said:

Always struggled to get into the X-Men movies, but Apocalypse is probably the only one I remember liking. (Can't be that good as I can't remember much about it!)

While we're on Superhero movies... I've just found out I've got to isolate for 10 days so setting myself a task of whipping through the DC movies again..

• Man of Steel – (June 14, 2013) ✅
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25, 2016)
  • Suicide Squad – (August 5, 2016)
  • Wonder Woman – (June 2, 2017)
  • Justice League – (November 17, 2017)
  • Aquaman – (December 21, 2018)
  • Shazam! – (April 5, 2019)
  • Birds of Prey – (February 7, 2020)
  • Wonder Woman 1984 — (December 25, 2020)

(Ignore the dates... just copy + pasted from my notes)

Couldn't get in to xmen but you're watching the DC films again?! Out of those 9 I would say 3 of them are decent the rest are poor to terrible 

Xmen 2 and days of future past are brilliant but when they're bad they're utter utter dogshit, x3, apocalypse and the phoenix one should never have been made

Days of future past might be my favourite comic book film 

Â